Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So whose boots are cooler, mine or my wife's?

billyb

Familiar Face
I like the look of the Ravens but the narrow toe would never accomodate my duck feet.

You have no idea...not only are my feet like a duck in the front, I have the itty bitty ankles to go along with them. I really have the duck thing going on. Try telling White's, Wesco, and Viberg to build out the toe box and take in the ankles.

White's didn't believe me when I ordered my Semi-Dresses so they forced me to try a stock pair...top of the boot (5" height mind you) overlapped when I laced them up...and they had to build out the toe box. White's nailed the fit after one rebuild.

Check out the fit of a stock pair of Semi-Dresses on my itty bitty ankles :)
left_foot.jpg
[/IMG]

Wesco's custom fit guy kind of laughed when we reviewed my measurements, but they nailed it first time around (that says something about Wesco).

Viberg, well, let's just say it hasn't been easy. My Hunter's had the ankles taken in perfectly, but I'll have to send them back a second time to get the toe box right...still giving me blisters on my little toes cause that 8 oz leather ain't giving any more after a year and a half of wear. Major reason I went with a new pair of Engineers.

Getting a jacket to fit me is just as bad...ask Langlitz...man, that's been process.

trapp

Practically Family
Yeah, I have a similar problem, billyb, though perhaps not quite to your extreme: smaller ankles, wide up front, and high arches which adds volume to the space my foot occupies. I stay away from narrow toe-boxes, period. It hasn't left a big hole in my life. I've learned not to size down on lots of brands and lasts that others routinely size down on, including white's. I've never been fitted by white's but I rolled the dice on their classic dress brown semi-dress on ebay (grabbed my normal size w/out sizing down) and they fit like a dream. If they were custom, they might advise taking in the toe-box a hair, but I don't know if I would even bother.

I've never tried wescos but will at some point, esp. since I live in SF.

art89b

Familiar Face
I'm a huge fan of Nomads, so I would have to go with yours! I just ordered a pair in Distressed colorway with the a Composition half sole, and double mid-sole, I'm excited!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I'm a huge fan of Nomads, so I would have to go with yours! I just ordered a pair in Distressed colorway with the a Composition half sole, and double mid-sole, I'm excited!

I just ordered the exact same pair about a month ago - distressed with double midsoles, natural stain, and Vibram 705 composition half soles. I am really looking forward to these.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Whites get my vote hand down... But order em thru Bakers r/t directly thru Whites. Btw those engineers are maybe the best I've ever seen, and actually make me think I could pull em off (tho my next order would be semi dress or bounty hunters)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Your boots look great. I love that your wife rides and the boots rock. Very unique.
Brilliant answer.
I hope the lace ups belong to Mrs, they will go down fantastic mixed with some fishnet stockings, a suspender basque, vintage Harley can and a whip! Going to Sturgis by any chance?
Jay Tee

dirty old biker

Familiar Face
The wife's are by far the coolest , Your's are nice ..........if you wanna get cooler than hers ya gotta do a lil upgrade to 'em , I did this upgrade to mine .....I made the sheet metal toe guards & heel guard by hammering & filing & polishing for hrs , then added the chain from a hardware store and made the bootstraps from an old belt ......lots of labor intensive stuff here......I also had the cleted soles added for grip while riding ,at a local cobbler shop....I only have 200.00 in them , but they look as good as some I've seen fro 3 hundred & up !

100_1034.jpg

100_1033.jpg

100_1032.jpg

art89b

Familiar Face
Haha, nice! I saw a picture of the Nomads distressed colorway on Baker's Facebook page, but with the100 lug sole. I just pictured them with the 705 half sole, and I knew I had to get them. Great taste!

kenucklehead

Familiar Face
Here are my new custom Viberg engineer boots, after a first day of wear. I had been thinking of a pair of Nomads but there were some concerns I had regarding the width of the shafts and the inability to request certain custom options that made me choose Vibergs (in addition to the fact they are top quality boots made in Canada).

viberg1.jpg

viberg2.jpg

viberg3.jpg

viberg4.jpg

Both are nice for riding,I do like your wife`s packers,being someone who wears them,I find them very comfortable they are good for horseback riding,motorcycle riding,and most outdoor work.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"I also ordered a stock pair of Ravens. My wife loved these boots on me, but they were too tight in the toe box. I returned them for a refund." -billyb

I really dig those 'Ravens' billyb. Tell us more about those - style/model, etc. I can't find a website for Raven; is there another brand name they go under. I found the boots for troopers but nothing like that particular style. Let us know! -dixon cannon

billyb

Familiar Face
The Ravens are made by Viberg boot. Check under the motorcycle boot tab. Viberg's are top-notch but you may have to wait around for a custom pair. Make time of up to 16 weeks or more these days...

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
I have to say I like the Nomads for riding. I'm breaking in a pair right now, and they just get better. For riding, I like the pull-on boots for easy on and off, and don't have to worry about loose laces. Got to have the vibram 100s though, for I feel you get a better grip, which I want for riding my bagger. Your wife's boots are awesome too, but I would tire of the laces quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner