Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soap for shaving

sfend002

Familiar Face
Wow, that is quite a list.

Maybe someone can answer this for me. So when you have the bar of soap, what exactly is the best way to get the needed lather in the cup? Is a few swipes on the bar with the brush then on to the cup or does one leave the bar in the cup while lathering as it were?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
sfend002 said:

Maybe someone can answer this for me. So when you have the bar of soap, what exactly is the best way to get the needed lather in the cup? Is a few swipes on the bar with the brush then on to the cup or does one leave the bar in the cup while lathering as it were?

Soap stays in the mug. Brush is dampened (I usually put it in hot water when I jump in the shower and give it a good shake when I'm out & ready to start shaving) and you just swirl it around. The brush breaks up what start out as large bubbles and pretty fast, you have a nice creamy foamy lather.

Crabtree & Evelyn has a nice line of shaving soap and brushes as well.

D

DeaconKC

This tutorial helped me SOOOOOOOOO much. It makes all the difference.

D

DeaconKC

Also that Deluxe Shave Soap is Van Der Hagen and a great soap for the price. I keep it in my regular rotation.

My how to list.

sfend002 said:
Shaving soap and Bar soap are two different things, Shave soap is usually round in shape and meant to be placed in the bottom of the mug. As a matter of fact, some people will take a zap the mug with the soap in the bottom in short 10-15 second increments in a microwave to get the soap to melt a little and adhere to the bottom of the mug.

(There are some different ways but usually I like to finish brushing my teeth with warm water to get the hot water to the spigot. It is a distance to the hot water tank.) Then hop in for a quick shower, finish and turn the hot on in the sink. I stop the drain and pop the mug with soap in under the running hot water. When the sink is full to the top of the mug I pop the mug out and pour out the hot water. This heats the mug and the soap so the lather will stay hot for all 3 passes. Load the brush with hot water. You'll need to judge if you need to shake out some water from the brush or not. Putting the brush in against the soap but not pressing too hard start turning like you're scrambling an egg or trying to hand beat whipped cream. Rinse your face with a little hot weater, but not uncomfortably hot, or use a face cloth or small towel. When the lather has fine bubbles and won't run down your face, lather up. Be careful not to whip the lather too dry, not moist enough.

Then you can shave. On the tender spots I usually go up or down depending on the area and how the whiskers lie, then across. On the throat below the chin where the tougher patches are its: up, down then across for a total of 3 passes.

I rinse with warm water first using the face cloth or small towel to get the suds off, rinse the cloth, then run cold, cold water to dunk the cloth and finish up the face to close the pores. Any tender spots get some aftershave balm, if not straight to the aftershave of choice.

Whether using a straight razor, double edge or multi bladed razor the wet shave is the best way to get the best shave from your razor.

Multiblade users t ake note.

If you use a multiblade razor rinse it after each swipe, if the cut whiskers collect and clog in between the blades, they can scratch the heck out of your skin. Ordinary mens beard whiskers are reported to be as tough as copper wire of the same diameter!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the reminder to stock up on Trumper's shaving cream.
I use the tube, though the cup works, too. Don't feel a need to
try anything else... I get it through stores on Amazon, for convenience.

D

DeaconKC

Ah, SSAD, [shaving soap acquisition disorder].....
I know it well.......
Right up there with RAD and SBAD.....
Get used to it, you're doomed like the rest of us!

stillwell

New in Town
This will probably sound fairly dumb (maybe a bit more than fairly)
but I was curious about this Brushless Shave cream that comes in a tube
I've seen WWII boxes for Mennen, Molle, Barbersol, etc. and I was curious what it specifically was
is it the same as aerosol stuff, just without the aerosol, or is it different?
and is it possible to still get it?
and where?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Not a dumb question at all really.

There are certain creams on the market that are specifically advertised as brushless. You just smear a small amount on, and then rub with a little water to get a little lather going. In my experience, these types of creams also have ingredients that add to the slickness of the lather, making the lather "go farther" so you actually only use a small amount.
Off the top of my head Cremo is one to look up, and Proraso can also be used brushless very effectively ( it can also be found marketed as C.O. Bigelow shave cream).

Good luck!

JimWagner

Practically Family
sfend002 said:

I've been known to break a bar of Ivory soap in half and put that in my shaving mug. After it's been wet a few times it stays in place and lathers up about as well as anything.

I used to use Old Spice mug soap, but they quit making it some years back and I really haven't found anything I like as well. Most shaving soap is too heavily scented for me.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Shaving soap generally has more glycerine in it, which makes it more slippery and slimy, which means the first pass of the razor doesn't take it all away. You can shave with any soap, but shaving soap works better for that purpose and is easier on your face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles