Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solar Impulse jacket

fukigen

Familiar Face
As Solar Impulse HB-SIA, the solar energy powered plane (from Switzerland :cool:), will fly across USA starting today, just wanted to show the offical pilot jacket of the project. I like to wear it when tired of leather jackets, and when it is around 5-20°C (above the jacket is too warm).

Do you guys own special projects jackets, like the red bull stratos ? (like I have a polar jacket of Breitling Orbiter 2)

img_9606s.jpg

by the way, for thoses who are aviation enthousiasts (like me) and living in California, the plane will soon take off from Motfett airfield (mountain view) to join Pheonix, you can follow it on live.solarimpulse.com (with flying datas below the video).

I have seen the plane when landing and taking of in Geneva, it is quite interesting to see it in real. large as a boeing, totally silent (only the helicopter around makes noise), and flying slowly at 40-50km/h and not very high altitude... go out and search the sky for it!

ps: the actual jacket has a slightly different design, with new badge "across America" on it.

Last edited:
Fly safe! I want one of those. Can you hook me up?
Was just discussing drones or UAV's with my pilot brother. People here using small radio models with GoPro cameras to film fires.
How long will you be here?

fukigen

Familiar Face
Fly safe! I want one of those. Can you hook me up?
How long will you be here?
unfortunately not flying the plane :( ... as it is experimental and the pilots are the initiators of the project, Bertrand Piccard (psychiatrist and balloonist) and Andre Borschberg (former Swiss military pilot), and my flying experience is limited to few hours with Cessna 172, they would never allow me to fly that plane, I presume...
In fact, I am not part of the project, but I follow it very closely from the early developement, as aviation and engineering enthusiast.

I am just stuck in the office (in Switzerland), following the plane on their website. seems they just left the San Jose region, heading to Fresno.
and if one day I go to California (like Pasadena), I drop messages to have beer!!:cheers1:

As for the jacket, there were limited amount of them available for the supporter program at the beginning of the project, together with few other stuff, like I also have a polo with the badge of the first night flight with the solar plane.

Unfortunately these are not produced and available for the public anymore. and as the jacket is quite rare (so far didn't see anybody wearing it excepted me, not mentioning member of the project), it is difficult to find it on e-bay or similar swiss auction site.

I am really sorry that I cannot help to get one. (but still will have a look and let you know if there is any chance to get one)

I will also try to find some pictures of me wearing it when back home this evening.

Last edited:

fukigen

Familiar Face
Was just discussing drones or UAV's with my pilot brother. People here using small radio models with GoPro cameras to film fires.

it is incredible what can be done with these little cameras! a friend has an iPhone controlled drone with a GoPro, the movies done with it are just great!
and I think some police or army coprs are using it for surveillance or threat scouting.
It seems usaf is going the same way, just bigger "toy" eg. RQ-4 Global Hawk. Will military pilots disappear in a near future, and A-2 jacket provided to remote controller?

some other pictures, still shy about posting my big nose on a forum :) so I borrowed an helmet from the NASA!

The jacket is polyester made, very confortable, wind proof (water proof to some extend) and breathable. There is only one patch, so no Top Gun-like "christmas tree" patch jacket, as I mentionned, I like to wear it when tired of leather jackets, it happens from time to time.

img_9609s.jpg

img_9610s.jpg

img_9612s.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and pics! And absolutely get hold of me if you're ever close to Pasadena or LA! Maybe you should loan that helmet out to WORF so he can battle the Indy jokers in style! lol

fukigen

Familiar Face
Thanks for the info and pics! And absolutely get hold of me if you're ever close to Pasadena or LA! Maybe you should loan that helmet out to WORF so he can battle the Indy jokers in style! lol

:D
but he may risk to encounter a Top Gun joker "hey Maverick, where did you park your tomcat!"
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80