Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something new about Panama Hats

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, new for me...

I knew there were open weave Panama Hats and I saw several today in a vintage clothes warehouse. These are amazing works of art.

I also saw something else, I have never seen. I saw about seven Panama Hats with tiny round holes punched into the straw! -Right through! There were in patterns; one in rings, one in little clusters, one with them on the side, a few repeats. They were in different sizes and styles and from different hatters. And some of these were tight tight weaves.

So, apparently, it was the practice at one time to punch neat little round holes into Panama Hats for ventilation.

Have any of you run across this?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have actually come across this strange behavior. You see, they punched holes in the top for ventilation. Oh Wait, You told me that, today, in the vintage warehouse. Ha! Very good idea indeed. Did not detract from the style of the hat, especially the ones that were done in neat little patterns.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
So the holes were on the top of the hat, and not on the sides? What kind of crowns were they... teardrop?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ledsled said:
So the holes were on the top of the hat, and not on the sides? What kind of crowns were they... teardrop?
Excellent questions! Some had the holes on the top of the crown, some had them on the sides. The looked like the holes on top of a salt shaker and they were definitely old because they had the yellowed patina of an old hat. One hat I remember being a teardrop. At least three of them were Colonials or Optimo style.

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
punched thru, as in cutting the fabric?!? or merely pressing the fabric aside...? If the former, didn't this appear to have a negative effect on the fabric and structure?

inquiring minds want to know -- or something like that!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
gdkenoyer said:
punched thru, as in cutting the fabric?!? or merely pressing the fabric aside...? If the former, didn't this appear to have a negative effect on the fabric and structure?

inquiring minds want to know -- or something like that!
Yes, punched, as in done with a very small paper-puncher, right through the weave. I was amazed, and appalled, but it was done a long time ago.

One of them had a silk liner, which was very strange. I guess, if you look at enough hats, you'll see all the different stylistic differences of the hatters.

Remember, many straws were tossed after a few seasons.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Yes ,I've seen liners in Montecristi hats... They were the lower grade and the liner covered up the weave that you could see inside the hat. I said lower grade not price...

"Wind Trolley's"

Don't go on a Montecristi or a straw hat. I have spoken to old timers in the hat business and they did not even back in 1920, 1930's etc. These guys are Real Master Hatters not self appointed...

If the wind catches the hat and you are using the cord you could end up with a hole in your straw.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The liners were a new one to me, and I am sure you were right about the "lower grades," but these terms are relative. They looked pretty nice to me 60 years or so later. ;)

Thought they wouldn't fit on this head of mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran