Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something's rotten in Denmark

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Denmark has instituted a Fat Tax designed to slow consumption of foods with high fat content like butter and cheese. :eusa_doh:

Julia must be spinning in her grave.:(

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
According to the article Denmark lags behind the rest of the EEC in terms of life expectancy. Why wouldn't the Govt take measures to remedy that?

I imagine this thread will get political very quickly. I think eating more healthy foods is a good thing. I don't mind if a Govt introduces a tax to do it.

I imagine lots of people will disagree with me........................ Actually, wasn't this topic covered in another thread?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I read in the paper a few days ago that the Danes are busy hoarding butter and cream all over Denmark so that they don't have to buy it when the tax comes in.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just watched part of a special on America's prohibition of liquor. Didn't help much, in fact the special stated that New Yorkers seemed to drink more after prohibition in protest of the "stupid law".

Later

dnjan

One Too Many
What I found disturbing was a panel discussion (US TV - Tuesday morning, sorry I don't remember the station) in which one of the panelists said that if such a tax were implemented in the U.S., it would be unfair to the poor.

Why is cheap food so unhealthy?

James71

A-List Customer
Wont make an iota of difference, but like all governments everywhere they take a popular issue and work out how to tax it..... we do a great job of it over here too.... Its not about solving problems, its about getting taxes through easily.

rue

You know.... isn't it funny that ever since I stopped listening to what the news said and stopped eating diet foods and processed foods and started eating things that were natural like real butter, real sugar, whole milk, vegetable oil (not corn oil), fruits, vegetables, fatty meat, etc, that I lost 40 lbs without dieting or exercising? hmmmm......

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
You know.... isn't it funny that ever since I stopped listening to what the news said and stopped eating diet foods and processed foods and started eating things that were natural like real butter, real sugar, whole milk, vegetable oil (not corn oil), fruits, vegetables, fatty meat, etc, that I lost 40 lbs without dieting or exercising? hmmmm......

I've been eating the same way all my life, and I'm skinny as a rail.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many

Lucky you :)

As I understand it the "fat tax" only kicks in on foods that contain saturated fat in levels of more than 2.3% (correct me if I'm wrong), so foods like sugar, vegetable oils etc wouldn't be taxed at all.

Edit: I've just had a thought, Danish vegans must be feeling very smug at the moment :)

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

Well done Rue! I have to agree with you - I like to eat naturally too - no diet anything - so full fat yoghurt, cheese, and if I want a cake (rare but when I want it, I want it!) I will go to the local bakery and buy something that was made that day and will turn to a rock after a few hours. Apparently your weight is down to 75% eating and only 25% exercise....

Edward

Bartender
What I found disturbing was a panel discussion (US TV - Tuesday morning, sorry I don't remember the station) in which one of the panelists said that if such a tax were implemented in the U.S., it would be unfair to the poor.

Why is cheap food so unhealthy?

Because there's less profit to be made from selling the poor healthy food, no doubt.

You're either very lucky, or under thirty.... ;)

rue

Well done Rue! I have to agree with you - I like to eat naturally too - no diet anything - so full fat yoghurt, cheese, and if I want a cake (rare but when I want it, I want it!) I will go to the local bakery and buy something that was made that day and will turn to a rock after a few hours. Apparently your weight is down to 75% eating and only 25% exercise....

Thank you :)

It's funny that I stopped craving sweets as much after eating this way, so I know what you mean about it being rare.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Thank you :)

It's funny that I stopped craving sweets as much after eating this way, so I know what you mean about it being rare.

You're not the first person I have heard say that - once they ate naturally all the crazy cravings went away. My husband and I have adopted a not so strict version of the Paleo Diet - we avoid carbs as much as possible (except cereal in the morning as the idea of eating last nights leftovers is revolting and I don't have time to make omelettes or the likes first thing) and we've found it brilliant - a really easy way to keep your weight just where you want it. The first few days are a pain as you begin eating new things and drop all your old carb-laden favourites but after that it's much easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou