Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Song lyrics you messed up as a kid

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
K.D. Lightner said:
When I was a child, I thought the lyrics were:

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes are wrapped and stored...

Another song:

Stand beside her, and guide her, through the night with a light from a bulb.
Classics.

For some reason we had a record with Semper Paratus, the anthem of the Coast Guard on it:

So here's the Coast Guard marching song,
We sing on land or sea.
Through surf and storm and howling gale,
High shall our purpose be.

For the longest time I thought the last line was,
On shallow purple sea.

I remember thinking that somewhere off the coast, the seas were shallow, dangerous, and purple.

I understand they've since gotten rid of that line entirely.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
From the Distillers song "The Young Crazed Peeling" I got so many lyrics screwed up, but the best was:

"He's the prettiest thing we've got the same DeSoto" is really "He's the prettiest thing we've got the same disorder"

I always wanted to see a picture of her and Tim Armstrong's matching DeSotos!

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
Rafter said:
Miss Lucy June, You almost have it right. It's your hand brushes mine.

All I am, all I'll be
Everything in this world
All that I'll ever need
Is in your eyes
Shining at me
When you smile I can feel
All my passion unfolding
Your hand brushes mine
And a thousand sensations
Seduce me 'cause I

I Do, Cherish You
For the rest of my life
You don't have to think twice
I will love you still
From the depths of my soul
It's beyond my control
I've waited so long to say this to you
If you're asking do I love you this much!!

That's a great song!
Miss Lucy June, there's no reason to be ashamed of liking 98 Degrees.

Their music was far superior to the llamo N'Sync and Backstreet Boys.

hahaha, so you mean to tell me that I've gotten it wrong still to this day! ha!

Well it's Your hand brushes mine then is it? Well, I can correctly lip synch now! (Which, I thought was "lip sing" for forever)

Merci Monsieur :)

Now I've got it in my head "I will, love you still...it's beyond my control...I've waited so long to say this to youuuuuu" (the bridge part this time)

Brooksie

One Too Many
carebear said:
"Love is (apparently) a battlefield", not a fallacy.

At least for Pat Benatar. For me it can go either way. :D

carebear, don't feel to bad about this one - I also had some trouble with a different Pat Benatar song. I remember when "Hit me with your best shot" came out... only I thought she was singing "Hit me with affection!" (which is really sad because is'nt the name of the song is Hit me with your best shot?!!!) but the part that was really embarassing for me was that I was singing it one day at school and a boy that I had a crush on said what on earth are you singing? Then I told him you know that Pat Benetar song... then of course I was dumb enough to actually sing it out loud, boy did I feel really stupid!:eek:

LB

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Can't turn off Mr Sinatra before the song is through.

But, you sure can mess-up his words in "I get a kick out of you" Used to think he said "I otta kick-a- you". Sorry this how my father(Should say Fatta) talked.:)

Brooksie

One Too Many
Fletch said:
On Paul Whiteman's 1928 recording of Because My Baby Don't Mean Maybe Now, which I first heard as a budding nostalgia-nerd of 14, I thought I heard Bing Crosby sing:

When the creature crushes me
I'll say yes sir, yes siree

He actually sang When the preacher questions me.
I guess I'd been watching too many B-grade monster movies at the time.QUOTE]

I'm sorry but your quote made me think of this....Flash Gordon was there in silver underwear and Claude Raine's was the invisible man! *anybody who has seen Rocky Horror picture show will get this one*

I am enjoying this thread way to much, I have laughed so hard I am nearly crying! That and I am just glad I am not the only one that has been off when it comes to musical lyrics.

LB

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
There is an Archive of Misheard Lyrics on the internet. It's interesting how many people hear the same things I do.

Earlier, I mentioned White Rabbit. "Feed your head" is the correct lyric, so I actually heard it right.

There is a contributor on the above archive who heard it as "Eyore's dead."
How he jumped from Alice in Wonderland to Winnie the Pooh is beyond me.

karol

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
Very enjoyable -- thanks everyone!

I've really enjoyed reading all of the great responses! You all have had me laughing pretty hard today -- thanks, I needed that.

I think Viola had me laughing the hardest with the "Dirty deeds and a dunder jeep" line.

Steve

S

Samsa

Oh man...

I still do this; I am horrible with song lyrics. Especially Bob Dylan songs, for whatever reason.

Anyway, the two that come to mind right away:

I heard "A fight for the women, I'll be there" when it was really "A fight for the winnin', I'll be there." (From "One More Town" by The Kingston Trio.) Realizing the true lyrics to this song was one of the most disappointing experiences of my life.

Also, I heard "There's nazis in the bathroom, just below the stairs" when it was really "there's matches in the bathroom..." (From "Nobody Told Me" by John Lennon.)

There are no doubt countless others that I have misheard and forgotten, and surely ones that I am still mishearing.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I think the lyricists got them wrong

I also thought it was "Dirty deeds and the Thunder Chief" and i still swear that Billy Ocean sings "Caribou Queen"

Sincerely,
The Wolf

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
There's more

I argued with a friend of mine, me saying the lyrics were "Get your money for nothing and your checks for free" and him saying "and your chicks for free".[huh]
My brother thought Elton John sang "She had electric boots and mo' have suits", I questioned what that meant. His reply was it meant "she must have suits". It is "mohair suits".lol

Sincerely,
<----------

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Brooksie said:
I'm sorry but your quote made me think of this....Flash Gordon was there in silver underwear and Claude Raine's was the invisible man! *anybody who has seen Rocky Horror picture show will get this one*
Science fiction double feature.
Doctor X will build the creature.
Bing Crosby is there in women's underwear.
And Bix is the invisible man.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Haversack said:
I'll admit to one. I thought Simon and Garfunkel's _Scarbourough Fair_ was from the movie, _Rosemary's Baby_. It was obvious afterall. Wasn't the song's refrain, "Can we save Rosemary in time?"

Haversack.

I thought it was "Are you going to starve an old friend" instead of "Are you going to Scarbourough Fair." :eusa_doh:

Cheers,
Tom

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Hark the Herald Angels

I wish it were my own quote since it might be funnier that way ... all of the lyrics were right in the Christmas carol until:

Peace on earth and mercy mild; God and sinners, rest in style;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Butchered song lyrics are the best! Sometimes I intentionally sing incorrect lyrics, because I think they're funnier.

"Jump, jive, and wail" was "Drunk drive and wail." Metallica's "Sad but true" was always "Sex Patrol." I have no idea where I came up with those?

I went through a country music phase in the early to mid 90s. George Strait's "You Know Me Better Than That" - one of the lines is "You know I was raised on a farm." My version is, "You know I was born in a barn." In Lonestar's "No News," the line, "Send a signal up in smoke, tap it out in morse code" becomes "Send a signal up in smoke, roll it up and take a toke."

And of course Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" - "Excuse me while I kiss this guy."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic