Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Songs that always made you smile, dance, love being alive?

CharlesB

Suspended
Between having the hassle of moving and the stuff with my grandfather I've decided to just let it all hang out and be silly and dance and live it up a bit this weekend...

What songs/music always get you smilin, tapping your toes, dancing, or generally being?

for me its "Groove is in the Heart"

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I'm a huge Beatles fan and For You Blue makes me feel like that.
I swear George wrote it for me. Two years before I was born but it was for me.LOL.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Real Swell Gal said:
I'm a huge Beatles fan and For You Blue makes me feel like that.
I swear George wrote it for me. Two years before I was born but it was for me.LOL

Good choice RSG! George had a knack, didn't he!? I'm glad someone mentioned los Beatles before me because, Golden Era aside, nothing perks me up like a tune from the Fabs! Funny because just this morning I was humming "And I Love Her" after getting a call from my girl - it's that spontaneous! Which led to "If I Fell", which has to have the tightest vocal harmony in all of music history!! Just fabulous - really gear!

Yep! It's Beatles that does it to me - every time!

P.S. "Elmore James got nonthin' on this, baby!" -gh

-dixon 'Beatle' cannon

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
George had a knack, didn't he!?

'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' = swoon!

Louis Prima's 'Sing, Sing, Sing' is always guarenteed to get me up and bopping, no matter how bad a mood I'm in.

Avalon

A-List Customer
Modern: pretty much the entirety of Smash Mouth's Astro Lounge.

Classic: I cobbled together a CD of Helen Kane songs from Internet Archive...I Wanna Be Bad is my current dance-about-like-a-dork favorite. :p

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
How 'bout that acoustic version of 'WMGGW' on the Anthology CD!? - very nice after hearing the White Album/Clapton version.

-dixon cannon
You should hear Clapton belt it out on A Concert For George.
Macca on piano,Ringo on drums even little Dhani Harrison was involved with that one. Spittin image of his daddy, I'm tellin you.

CharlesB

Suspended
I hate to say it but I find EC to be crushingly boring
Real Swell Gal said:
You should hear Clapton belt it out on A Concert For George.
Macca on piano,Ringo on drums even little Dhani Harrison was involved with that one. Spittin image of his daddy, I'm tellin you.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
HoosierDaddy said:
How bout...a lively polka party...girls in skirts....lotsa cold beer!!.....and no one knows or will know who you really are.....
HD
I can dig some polka but I never have anyone to dance with.

Real Swell Gal said:
I can dig some polka but I never have anyone to dance with.

That's the great thing about a Polka! I just have a few brew....start jumpin and hoppin..and grab someone's hand. I even scored a second dance with the same person with that technique!!!......
HD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm such a huge music buff -- I like it all from the beginning of recorded sound to now. Every genre -- I pride myself on my open-mindedness and my huge, diverse collection.

But my favourite song of all-time is "Automatic" by the Pointer Sisters. Followed closely by "Human Touch" by Rick Springfield. These get me acting all goofy! Really, anything 80s gets me in a good mood :)

jayem

A-List Customer
The Brother Kite - Half Century

And of course...

"Two Little Girls from Little Rock" from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Mojito

One Too Many
Charleston! It makes me smile every time. A friend told me she was walking through a shopping mall one Christmas, and they had a live band that struck up the familiar strains. She was rather glad I wasn't with her, she said, as she knew I'd never be able to resist dancing at least a few steps.

I Will Survive - always gets me up dancing, but there are melancholy undertones (especially with certain circumstances I associate it with). Still one of my favourite songs.

Alexander's Ragtime Band

Go West (Pet Shop Boys Version}

Absolutely Fabulous

Has anybody seen my girl? - I caught my best friend's husband humming this the other day, and was delighted. Was I finally rubbing off on him? My friend told me that he'd rewritten the lyrics into something very amusing but unfortunately not printable here.

Chas

One Too Many
Can't really pin one down; having the radio show means I keep re-treading the collection and finding stuff that missed my appreciation the first time around.

At the end of the day, there are different emotional responses to different songs. Blue, happy, joyful, introspective, whatever.

One example of a foot-tapper would be "Jazznocracy" or "White Heat" by Jimmy Lunceford. Fortunately, they occupy sides A & B of the original 78 that I have, so when I play my 78s for myself or friends, it's always near the top of the pile.

Coleman Hawkins' 1939 recording of "Body & Soul" is there as well.

Duke Ellington's "I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart" is a favorite, as well. Tough on the newbie tenor saxman, though. Crazy changes.

Jay

Practically Family
Let's see. Mine would probably be a three way tie between

Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry
Rock Island Line by Johnny Cash

and
Louie Louie by The Kingsmen

Regardless of mood, situation, what-have-you, I can't help but smile.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CharlesB said:
I hate to say it but I find EC to be crushingly boring

That's OK; I hate to hear that EC is boring! I'm from the generation that claimed 'Clapton is GOD!'. I think Cream's 'Crossroads' live version pretty much sums that up precisely. Say no more!

-Dixon 'Cream' Cannon

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Whenever I'm down in the mouth, I've always found that Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings are good for lifting the spirit.

Also, putting my guilty pleasure 80's music on the car stereo and cranking it to 11 makes me feel as if I'm still young and in college.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn