Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

songs that make you shiver/cry

irb

Familiar Face
Although Sir Thomas Beecham famously quipped that it's like a lot of yaks jumping about, Beethoven's 7th, 2nd movement, gets me every time. I got lost in it driving one time with nearly disastrous results. I've since learned to be more careful with what I throw in the CD player.

Albinoni's ubiquitous Adagio would also likely qualify, as it could probably be argued that it's the default "sad classical song". heh.

Short of that though, Negativland's Truck Stop Drip Drop is one of my favorites in the category.

Carlisle Blues said:
I got a call today, "Honey" played and some big biker dude came over to me took my phone and broke it. Then he gave the phone back to me. :(

I am am so bummed :cry: and I missed my call too. No one ever calls me. :beer:

Harsh...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hurt by Nine Inch Nails. I saw them perform it live last night. It doesn't make me cry (there were lots of tears in the audience last night) it DOES affect me. While I appreciate Johnny Cash's version, the NIN original is much more intense. If the tortured chorus doesn't get you, that final power chord--sick ugly thing of beauty that it is--surely will.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
"I'll follow you into the dark" by Death Cab For Cuite. It depresses me but lately I can't stop listening to it. Also Tragedy by Emmylou Harris.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Well, let's see -- there are songs that do make me shiver and some that make me cry.

I get the shivers when I hear a good opera aria, even if it's common, like Madama Butterfly. Or especially the aria sang by Wilhelmenia Fernandex in the movie, Diva.

Pavarotti makes me shiver when he sings, as well as certain pop songs that are beautifully belted. Orbison's Crying as sung by k.d. lange comes to mind.

I get the shivers when I hear a good, rousing verson of the 1812 Overture, I just love to listen to it.

Claire de Lune makes me nostalgic, as does a good verson of Greensleeves. I get nostalgic when I hear Nights in White Satin, as it reminds me of a certain time in New York City. Born to be Wild gets to me because it reminds me of the late 60's, when I was young and wild. Well ... semi wild.

Song that make me weepy: Judy Garland singing Over the Rainbow. That voice, that vulnerability, that song.

In the Arms of the Angel, which has now been overdone as it has been used to advertise animal shelter sponsorships -- I just cannot listen to it without getting blubbery. Years ago, when I was a teeny bopper, I could not listen to Presley's Old Shep.

I am especially vulnerable to protest songs. Then there was the time I first heard Billie Holiday sing Strange Fruit. Oh my god, I just flipped out. Along the same line, I used to sing folk songs in the 60's, could never get through Birmingham Sunday by Richard Farina.

Probably the song that gets to me the most is Birmingham Sunday. I literally cannot sing it without crying.

karol

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THIS........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO10pkOLERQ

For those of you that didn't see the show, Celine Dion
appeared to walk out and stand next to Elvis as the two
sang a duet of the classic "If I can Dream."

It was like he was raised from the dead.
Everyone has been asking how it was done.
ET said tonight it was a hologram.

Totally amazing what they can do now.

Estimated cost of this was said to have cost between
$50,000 to $100,000 and it is said it took months and
months to create. Prior to the performance, Celine
practiced with an Elvis impersonator.

However, it was done, it was totally amazing to me.
She sounded great singing with Elvis. The duet was
fantastic.

Celine Dion in front of a LIVE Studio Audience. This is
absolutely unbelievable how they have done this. It really
- really does look for all the world that Elvis is actually
standing there live on stage singing along side Celine Dion
in front of the live American Idol audience. Watch and
listen to the audience going berserk, as they themselves
think they are actually seeing Elvis right there in front
of them.

A truly amazing use of modern day technology

How it was done...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8zR2nDdzYM&feature=related

:eusa_clap

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
holograms

Dixon -- Thanks for that link. When I first saw holograms being used (in the first Star Wars movie), I thought, wow, what they could do with this technology.

I imagined they would never have to cast Hamlet's father's ghost again, just have an actor do it once, then play it as a hologram.

Good ghosts it turns out -- I saw them in the haunted house at Disneyland. And certainly I just saw one on youtube.

You could take every movie or TV image of a dead actor and make a "new" movie with that person in a starring role.

Maybe there are people who could have a hologram image made of a loved one and, when he or she passed on, you'd still have that image to see whenever you wanted. Actually, that would be pretty spooky.

karol

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:

For those of you that didn't see the show, Celine Dion
appeared to walk out and stand next to Elvis as the two
sang a duet of the classic "If I can Dream." ........

Oh my. It goes to show that one man's shiver is another man's grimace. I've often marvelled at Elvis' talent and emotional communication. Though I feel that his earliest Sun Records years were his best period where some of the songs are nigh on miraculous if listened to without negative preconceptions. I still like him singing this song but with Celine Dion? I can't stand her. She ruins it for me. I cannot impress on you how much this means to me. Oh well, I guess Elvis had a generous streak [huh]
Anyway perhaps I'm still glad you mention Elvis singing anything...:)

SayCici

Practically Family
It doesn't make me cry but I think 'Brother Can You Spare a Dime' sung by Bing Crosby is a very emotional song.

Edward

Bartender
just_me said:
What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

The Joey Ramone cover of this number gets to me. It was the opener on his solo album, recorded during the last few months of his life and released following his untimely death from lymphoma.

Inusuit said:
Desolation Row, Bob Dylan.

Dylan never wrote a duff record....(with the possible exception of Lay Lady Lay, but hey....). I'm currently slightly fixated with the cover of this that some young people's pop group did for the Watchmen sountrack (My Chemical Romance? is that it?). Not a weepy for me, but it certainly hits an emotional spot in my angry inner punk core. ;)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
That reminds me, songs sang in Gaelic get to me. The first time I heard an album by Clannad, I pretty much shivered. It sounded so ... ancient and somewhat eerie.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy