Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source of James Spader's hats {The Blacklist}

bendingoak

Vendor
I’m not attacking you it could be he is very picky about beaver felt and he does ware multiple different types of hats so it’s not out of the range of possibility that he does occasionally ware rabbit felt on the show especially that it is for a show and not for personal use from what he has said on interviews he does not get to take much home

And I hope you can understand that price is also a big problem for most people when buying hats most people don’t have 500 dollars to spend on a hat

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day off sorry if I got on your nerves. Just a novice trying to learn and understand all I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did not say you were attacking me. If you are in contact with someone and they have what you want. I don't see why you don't just buy that item.

This is why you got this statement from suitedcboy.

"Then go for the Borsalino, it will be exactly like the Borsalino on the show. The chintzy gold stamped logo on the bow and the crap quality that had Spader choose to not wear Borsalinos any more."
I'm not sure where that will leave you when the episodes to come will show him holding or wearing a hat no longer featuring the gold stamped logo or the wrinkled brim snap folds.

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
I did not say you were attacking me. If you are in contact with someone and they have what you want. I don't see why you don't just buy that item.

This is why you got this statement from suitedcboy.

"Then go for the Borsalino, it will be exactly like the Borsalino on the show. The chintzy gold stamped logo on the bow and the crap quality that had Spader choose to not wear Borsalinos any more."
I'm not sure where that will leave you when the episodes to come will show him holding or wearing a hat no longer featuring the gold stamped logo or the wrinkled brim snap folds.

But you can see suitedcboys reply was very passive aggressive and I’m just responding to how your messages sound (like you are being defensive) so I wanted to make sure my intentions were clear I’m new to all this

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I was not trying to be rude. I was getting a bit frustrated at what seemed to be you disregarding the information provided. Have you re-read the last couple of pages?
I stand by what I typed as a simple view of what has been presented in the last couple of pages of this thread. If you really believe the Borsalino logo is way more important in your effort to have a Reddington hat then that is what you should buy. Maybe you know that your peers will pay specific attention to the branding of the hat and that is very important to your reason for purchasing the hat.

I fully understand not wanting to spend $500 for the hat. I also see a possible scenario of you buying a Borsalino you hope is a facsimile of the Reddington character hat only to be disappointed.
I say that as someone that has spent several hundred, probably more like a few thousand $ on hats that failed miserably at meeting my idea of what I thought the hat would look like on my head. I always was excited enough initially that I wore them and re-shaped them and passed any point where returning ones that may have been returnable was even possible.

bendingoak

Vendor
I was not trying to be rude. I was getting a bit frustrated at what seemed to be you disregarding the information provided. Have you re-read the last couple of pages?
I stand by what I typed as a simple view of what has been presented in the last couple of pages of this thread. If you really believe the Borsalino logo is way more important in your effort to have a Reddington hat then that is what you should buy. Maybe you know that your peers will pay specific attention to the branding of the hat and that is very important to your reason for purchasing the hat.

I fully understand not wanting to spend $500 for the hat. I also see a possible scenario of you buying a Borsalino you hope is a facsimile of the Reddington character hat only to be disappointed.
I say that as someone that has spent several hundred, probably more like a few thousand $ on hats that failed miserably at meeting my idea of what I thought the hat would look like on my head. I always was excited enough initially that I wore them and re-shaped them and passed any point where returning ones that may have been returnable was even possible.

Thank you sir for your understanding. I really do appreciate it.

bendingoak

Vendor
mattmactimpson This is the hat That JJ hats told you he wears.
http://www.bencrafthats.com/brands/borsalino/anello-by-borsalino-4200#.Wt1YbCMrJaV
borsalinoanello_navyblue.jpg

This is a screen grabs you posted. Notice the double bow front and back with no kick up in the back. Why did JJ hats get that detail wrong??????
7a6da1f30cf182081228c625ae98e2f1.jpg
565106502afed08109894c23426e7f70.jpg

Last edited:

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars

Thanks for you apology I’m sure you can understand that all this is a bit overwhelming

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
mattmactimpson This is the hat That JJ hats told you he wears.
http://www.bencrafthats.com/brands/borsalino/anello-by-borsalino-4200#.Wt1YbCMrJaV
View attachment 115635

This is a screen grabs you posted. Notice the double bow front and back with no kick up in the back. Why did JJ hats get that detail wrong??????
View attachment 115636 View attachment 115637

So which Borsalino to your knowledge would be closer ?
I’m not exactly sure what the kick up in the back means

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What it means by "Kick up at the back" is the bow. Look at the bow on Spades hat, its even on both sides. Look at the bow on Bencrafthats web page, its got a second loop sticking up at the back. It also has a wind trolly (that button looking thing on the side) Spades hat does not have one. Lastly the glowing detail missing is the company name is missing from the bow. When you are really into movie/TV gear you end up with a very attentive eye for detail. So if I were you and want a exact copy of that hat start looking at E-bay, buy and sell groups for the exact make model and year. Or go custom. I don't think anyone will argue $500 US is a lot of money for a hat but if an exact duplicate is what you really desire...... what are you going to do? I wanted a bang on Indiana Jones hat for years. Went the cheap route for far to many years and was never fully happy with the result. I ended up ordering a custom from the guy who made the best reproduction at the time. Only regret is not doing it earlier. Then again if you are just going for close enough that one will do nicely
Johnny

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
By the by, many of us here don't care for that gold Borso logo.

here's the catalogue, happy hunting:
http://shop.borsalino.com/en/mans-collection/fall/winter/felt-hats

I got that from the previous it’s just borsalinos are cheaper than getting a custom and I have looked through the catalog already I’m just asking which one is closer from a person who handled Spaders hat

You might want to easy up on being able to afford a 500 dollar hat if you want people to feel welcome in this forum and especially if you want more people to start using hats again

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
What it means by "Kick up at the back" is the bow. Look at the bow on Spades hat, its even on both sides. Look at the bow on Bencrafthats web page, its got a second loop sticking up at the back. It also has a wind trolly (that button looking thing on the side) Spades hat does not have one. Lastly the glowing detail missing is the company name is missing from the bow. When you are really into movie/TV gear you end up with a very attentive eye for detail. So if I were you and want a exact copy of that hat start looking at E-bay, buy and sell groups for the exact make model and year. Or go custom. I don't think anyone will argue $500 US is a lot of money for a hat but if an exact duplicate is what you really desire...... what are you going to do? I wanted a bang on Indiana Jones hat for years. Went the cheap route for far to many years and was never fully happy with the result. I ended up ordering a custom from the guy who made the best reproduction at the time. Only regret is not doing it earlier. Then again if you are just going for close enough that one will do nicely
Johnny

Thanks for your reply really helpful at explaining it to me
I am in contact with Bencraft the they said the borso gold logo will be attached if I request it to be
I properly will order a custom at some point in the future but due to financial constraints I can only get kind of close especially due to the fact I live in the UK and ordering a 500 dollar hat is about 360 Pounds and then I have to pay extra on import tax which is about 100 pounds extra which is a total of 640 dollars or 460 pounds
So it’s more of a money issue and I know Bencraft is in the US but it’s still cheaper 260 pounds total including tax
When I have more money to buy a custom hat I will most likely contact penman hats

But thank you again for being understanding and taking the time to explain it to me

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I got that from the previous it’s just borsalinos are cheaper than getting a custom and I have looked through the catalog already I’m just asking which one is closer from a person who handled Spaders hat

You might want to easy up on being able to afford a 500 dollar hat if you want people to feel welcome in this forum and especially if you want more people to start using hats again

I doubt Mr. Penman has an intimate familiarity with the current Borso catalogue, nor the time to identify the hat you're seeking. It's possible the model shown on screen may not be in production any longer and the model from Bencraft might be the closest thing you can get. It's also possible that the specs for that model were changed.

There are lots of posters who come here for a few days and expect the hive mind of the forum to do all the leg work for them. Several people here have already attempted to answer your questions.

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
I doubt Mr. Penman has an intimate familiarity with the current Borso catalogue, nor the time to identify the hat you're seeking. It's possible the model shown on screen may not be in production any longer and the model from Bencraft might be the closest thing you can get. It's also possible that the specs for that model were changed.

There are lots of posters who come here for a few days and expect the hive mind of the forum to do all the leg work for them. Several people here have already attempted to answer your questions.

I was asking penman because he said he handled Mr spaders hat and there should have been a name of the model in the band
If I know that then I can Ebay it
And I’m not expecting people to to the leg work because I have done a hell of a lot
I am just here for a second opinion
I know people have answered my question supporting the research I have done myself and if you read my responses to them I acknowledge them and tell them that is what I found but I am asking for info from people who have handled spaders hats them self’s for more detailed info only they would know

bendingoak

Vendor
Since Borsalino is out of business I don’t think you will find exactly that unless like suggested you start searching places like eBay.

I’m not sure how much stock you can put into JJ hats as they got the model wrong.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I was asking penman because he said he handled Mr spaders hat and there should have been a name of the model in the band
If I know that then I can Ebay it
And I’m not expecting people to to the leg work because I have done a hell of a lot
I am just here for a second opinion
I know people have answered my question supporting the research I have done myself and if you read my responses to them I acknowledge them and tell them that is what I found but I am asking for info from people who have handled spaders hats them self’s for more detailed info only they would know

1) Check Besdor's posts in this thread
2) Mr. Penman likely had little regard for the specific model name.

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
Since Borsalino is out of business I don’t think you will find exactly that unless like suggested you start searching places like eBay.

I’m not sure how much stock you can put into JJ hats as they got the model wrong.

I thought they were out of business but apparently they will still be going for another 2 years at minimum
If you can remember the model name it would be a huge help
And jj hats said to me it’s the closest they stock and that Spader did purchase anello for the blacklist and I trust them because they have been supplying the show since season 1

mattmactimpson

One of the Regulars
1) Check Besdor's posts in this thread
2) Mr. Penman likely had little regard for the specific model name.

Thanks for pointing me to Besdor I remember reading his a some point just this has a hell of a lot of posts

And you never know what penman remembers

bendingoak

Vendor
I thought they were out of business but apparently they will still be going for another 2 years at minimum
If you can remember the model name it would be a huge help
And jj hats said to me it’s the closest they stock and that Spader did purchase anello for the blacklist and I trust them because they have been supplying the show since season 1

Wow! Look who is being rude now. Clearly they are wrong on the model. The photos don’t lie. I have the photos I took of the hats nbc sent me to replicate the hat but since you trust them so much your on your own.

Good bye

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran