Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source of the LW HH

Hammerklavier

One of the Regulars
I have been try to find out the answer before I purchased my test, I can see there is no certain answer in here, but after got my test, the moment I take the jacket from big box, the looking of the leather, the touch, so familiar, I dare not to say it is my conclusion, but my suspection is LW and US Authentic (flight jacket), they use same source of HH, the difference is LW is 5 times thicker, and the description shaul put on his hide is similar to Stuart, it is just different tongue.

Roma

A-List Customer
Not sure about the source but as far as I know and Stuard told me, they have their own tannery and the leather is brilliant.

Отправлено с моего MI MAX через Tapatalk

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
LW jackets are made in NYC which is the borough of Manhattan. I doubt there's any tannery there. Most likely LW'S having there own tannery is BS. Looking at the pics of US Authentic jackets I do see a resemblance in the leather. Both leathers lack any character whatsoever IMO.

Roma

A-List Customer
LW jackets are made in NYC which is the borough of Manhattan. I doubt there's any tannery there. Most likely LW'S having there own tannery is BS. Looking at the pics of US Authentic jackets I do see a resemblance in the leather. Both leathers lack any character whatsoever IMO.
May be. As for the lack of character, yes, completely agree.

Отправлено с моего MI MAX через Tapatalk

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have been try to find out the answer before I purchased my test, I can see there is no certain answer in here, but after got my test, the moment I take the jacket from big box, the looking of the leather, the touch, so familiar, I dare not to say it is my conclusion, but my suspection is LW and US Authentic (flight jacket), they use same source of HH, the difference is LW is 5 times thicker, and the description shaul put on his hide is similar to Stuart, it is just different tongue.
US Authentic's office and workshop is here in Katona, 20 min drive from my house (they wouldn't accept visitors but one day I will drive by and take a peek). LW is in Long Island/Queens. There are old surviving tanneries in the Catskills, NY, what they say it's "their tannery" probably means they specify the color and thickness and finish.

Last edited:
The source is :
IMG_9500.JPG

And I wouldn't say it lacks character but it does seem to be the type that will never develop much patina. With very little care it will look as new as the day you purchased it. It's really spectacular stuff IMHO.

Iron Horse

Vendor
People say the LW HH is from Horween, but it's made to different specifications than CXL.

My black Ryder has character, but not patina seeing as it's dyed through.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
That's some funny stuff !
Great way to start the new year.

Yes, LW brown HH is boring. But isn't it suppposed to be?

If you want excitement, you get black or if you want sophistication you get goat.

I own all three, what i wear depends on how i am feeling.

Cheers all in the new year.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
To address the op post:

To discover the source of Stuart's leather would be a coup comparable to discovering Trump's tax returns. But would it make any difference in the jacket?

The "tannery" could be anywhere, it doesn't have to be in Manhattan, to address another post.

I love Stuart's jackets, though I own others.

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have both a LW and a US Authentic A-2 in horsehide. While the heavy chrome tanned hides are very similar, I'm not sure that they are exactly the same. The LW has a much more pronounced leather smell (intoxicating!) and the high spots (seams, elbow-area creases, etc) have had the top coat worn off to reveal the golden-brown undercoat. My US-A has not had any topcoat/pigment wear off yet.
Both are rugged hides with a clean, solid, even color that look great as wrinkling and creasing appear.

I liken these hides to a pair of brand new super-dark denim jeans. Some people actually prefer their denim to look and stay dark without any pronounced wear or fading while others like their denim to fade and weather and distress as quickly as possible.

It's great to have all these wonderful choices for our leather jackets!

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Yes my LW a2 had shown a lot of additional graining and creasing but almost no color loss/variation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo