Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sources of Panama Hats (newbie alert!)

nicolasb

Familiar Face
My first post here. :)

As something of a newbie to the subject of Fedora hats in general and Panama hats in particular, I'm wondering if anyone could give me a bit of guidance about good places to buy them? I'm in the UK, which complicates things a bit. (I have done a fair bit of reading on subjects like weave counts, the difference between Montecristi and Cuenca hats, llano and brisa weaves, etc. so don't need too much of a newbie introduction there).

I've come across a number of possible sources, many of which seem to be quite outrageously expensive (www.brentblack.com and www.montecristihats.com spring to mind). Here are some of the slightly more reasonable looking ones. Any recommendations?

www.panamahut24.de - prices may or may not be reasonable: not too much info on weave qualities. Any fluent German speakers want to check it out for me?

www.panamahatsdirect.com - seems quite reasonable all round.

www.planetepanama.com - the fact that the email address on their website is invalid doesn't inspire confidence :( . Not so much choice of styles (fedoras only). Prices a little higher than panamahatsdirect (so far as one can tell), but they have some quite reasonable-looking Cuenca hats - the "extra fino" cuenca is llano weave (rather than brisa).

www.panamas.biz - run, I think, by thefedoralounge's own Panama Bob, so perhaps he would like to comment. :) Nice prices at the high end, but the lower grades seem to be more expensive than (say) panamahatsdirect. I suspect there are good reasons for this, but it would be interesting to know what they are. Link to his Cuenca section is broken. :(

As I understand it the same guy also sells on Ebay under the name real*panamahats. Some hats currently on Ebay are significantly cheaper than the ones with similar weave counts at www.panamas.biz - I presume this is because of issues like a lack of evenness in the weave, but it'd still be interesting to have the official explanation.

"Ultrafino Panama Hats" - Ebay vendor ( http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MONTECRISTI-ULTRAFINO-PANAMA-HATS_Mens_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm ). I get the impression his English isn't very good! (Understandable if he lives in Ecuador, I guess). Very difficult to keep track of what grade his various hats are, but superficially rather good prices.

Steinfern - another Ebay vendor ( http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsteinfern ) based in Luxembourg. Cheap fedora-type hats, presumably Cuenca brisa at that price, but not too much info.

Craftercash - another Ebay vendor ( http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZcraftercash ). No active sales at the moment. Claims to be an actual Montecristi weaver. Blocking of his hats looks a little crude - sharp edges and corners - but good prices.

Pachacuti ( http://www.panamas.co.uk/retail_menspan.htm ) UK-based, which is nice, with some useful grade info ( http://www.panamas.co.uk/info_grades.htm ). Better prices (and, indeed, better hats) if you're buying wholesale: http://www.panamas.co.uk/wholesale_menspan.htm .

www.panamahats.co.uk - UK-based, but seems rather expensive to me - mostly brisa weave.

Any other suggestions? :)

Reactions: DRB

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Sounds like you've really done your research. And I thought I agonized over the decision...

I went ahead and ordered from PanamaBob a few weeks ago. I haven't recieved the hat yet, but all the positive comments here were enough to make me comfortable buying from him. I will say he has been easy to contact on the phone or by PM and seems honest and a straight shooter. When the hat comes I will, of course, post pics. I'm afraid I don't have much experience with Panamas so I'll only be able to give a superficial review of the quality.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I Own Just One Montecristi

And it came from Panama Bob. I wear it almost daily - it sits right by the front door.
It was a great value - got a much better weave than I could have afforded elsewhere, and I can fiddle with have it reblocked, adding a nicer sweatband, etc., if I want later.

For next summer, I want one like... like CanaDave's "reverse taper" die-for model... or James Powers' with the sweet vintage blue ribbon... or like just about any of Sharpey's.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I don't own one from PAnama Bob *yet* but better the 'Devil you know' than some web-shop where you can't 'see' the wares and you don't have a bunch of on-line satisfied customers to listen to. I've looked in Europe and the UK and it seems the goods are inferior and heavily overpriced compared to Bob's.

That's my say-

B
T

Michael D

Familiar Face
I bought one last summer from Casey at panamahatsdirect.com. I got the fino and had it blocked in the Fedora #2 style. I got a 3" brim which Casey didn't charge me extra for.

It's a nice hat. I wasn't that crazy about the Fedora #2 style nor the black elastic hat band, so this spring I had our own Art Fawcett reblock the hat to look like the Aficionado by Brent Black. He also put in a nicer sweatband and grosgrain ribbon. I really like the look of the hat now!

Mike

nicolasb

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
I don't own one from PAnama Bob *yet* but better the 'Devil you know' than some web-shop where you can't 'see' the wares and you don't have a bunch of on-line satisfied customers to listen to.
Fair enough. :)

I am rather tempted by one of the hats PB has on Ebay at the moment - 500+ wpsi, havana style, about $100 + shipping. I do wonder what's wrong with it that it's selling at that price, though. [huh]

Has anyone ever dealt with planetepanama or with the "Ultrafino Panama Hats" guy on Ebay? The latter is kind of tempting, and he has a positive feedback rating of several hundred.

It'd also be fun to buy from the www.panamas.co.uk people at their wholesale price, but I'm not sure I can swing that. :( They have a llano weave "grade 12" (that's 22 weaves per linear inch, or close to 500 wpsi) fedora for £35+VAT. It might be Cuenca, but with that sort of weave count and in llano it might still be a good buy at that price. But they don't sell that one retail at all, and, even if they did, it would no doubt cost at least £70. Don't suppose there are enough UK people around here to organise a bulk buy? :) (Would need at least 6 of us).

Maybe I should buy 6 and flog the other 5 on Ebay. :cool2:

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'm at work so I'll be quick.

Ebay hats are great hats. Nothing wrong, just different weavers, about 75% of the time, and we don't take special requests.

I'm reworking the website and rethinking pricing again.

I'll have to study Casey's hats as far as Cuenta, but I can tell you that their is no superfino nor fino fino with 600-700 weave count. That is balderdash.

As I've ruffled too many feathers before I'll shut up.

The best way to buy a hat is to contact me directly.

Again, I'm changing the site, as usual and going to LOWER the prices as I can.

With USA blocking, those prices might go down a bit as well. I've got to get some things straightened out and decent photos as well.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well.... maybe not...

Bob himself will jump in I'm sure. But the hats on Ebay are perhaps a slightly lesser quality than you can get directly from him. I think I read his in a posting saying "Ebay hats are Ebay hats," and encouraged a direct buy for best value.

Welcome, by the way.... do you have any other hats? I think you'll find everyone here is anxious to see pictures!

Stick with BellyTank - he can find a sweet deal on most anything.

dlgilbert

New in Town
I am extremely happy with my hat from Casey at PanamaHatsDirect. I got great service, too. The hat is better than I'd hoped and it arrived quickly in very good packaging at a price that was more than reasonable. I'm sure I'll be purchasing another from him at some point.

Highly recommended.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Panamabob said:
Ebay hats are great hats. Nothing wrong, just different weavers, about 75% of the time, and we don't take special requests.
I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek when I said that. :) It's simply that the hat on Ebay is 500+ wpsi and $100, while, on your site, there's a 400+ hat for $229 and a 600+ hat for $299. Wondered what the difference was.

I'm reworking the website and rethinking pricing again.
That'll be interesting.

I'll have to study Casey's hats as far as Cuenta, but I can tell you that their is no superfino nor fino fino with 600-700 weave count. That is balderdash.
I think I was talking about the planetepanama website at that point. Clearly their "cuenca extra fino" is a coarser weave than their "montecristi fino" (click here) but they make no explicit claims about weave count. Their highest-grade Cuenca hat is quite cheap, though (click here) and it is at least llano weave rather than brisa.

The best way to buy a hat is to contact me directly.
I tried emailing you a couple of days ago and got no answer. :p I shall do so again at some point.

Again, I'm changing the site, as usual and going to LOWER the prices as I can.

With USA blocking, those prices might go down a bit as well. I've got to get some things straightened out and decent photos as well.
Again, sounds cool. And yes, more photos would be great. :)

riccardo

Practically Family
Panama hats direct.

Good evening,
i'd always hear that Panama Bob's hats are very good.
He directly buy on Ecuador and reblock it in USA or in Ecuador, and my next panama will be one of him.
On today i have a very nice Panama , i buy it on Panama Hats Direct from Casey, the hat is very beautiful, it is a super fino grade (see on the web site)
the model is the fedora 1:
I enjoy very well it, it's very light the colour is very beautiful.
I'd buought very easy at Casey's site and he is a lovely person and he help me to complete the form, he charge my credit card after he had posted me the hat (i see the date ) and he, always, answered all my e-mail.
It's my experience, Casey, for me, is a nice person.

However , enjoy your panama hat, they are the better hat i've never wear.

Best regards.

Riccardo

dopey

One of the Regulars
I don’t know if PanamaBob can easily ship to the UK. If he does, I think you should give him a call and place an order. His hats are great as are his prices. Make sure you talk to him about blocking.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
This is intriguing to me....I wanted to add that our prices already include the shipping! I'll have a great writeup whenever I have the time.

Anyone here want to do some "pro bono" work?

android

One of the Regulars
I've had less that great results with Casey. I tell him what I want and then he sends me something different. He is not good with keeping up with the details. I bought two hats from him, but no more.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
So many choices!

Hello,
I have bought off Ebay and sent it back and is was not from Panamabob. The hat was not as advertised. Some of the sellers you have listed I also checked them out and I bought a Limited - Special Reserve from one of the sellers you have listed and there wasn't anything special about it except way over priced and a terrible woven hat { uneven back weave poor color and no way near a real Fino Fino quality Montecristi Panama hat}

I found Robert Weber spent a few dollars and called him in Ecuador and he got me a fine Montecristi. On his site the 4 hats on the table are mine. I have 12 of them now and all of them came from Panamabob.

http://www.panamas.biz/hats.html All are real Montecristi Panama hats.
Good luck on your search. :)

Sharpey

nicolasb

Familiar Face
SHARPETOYS said:
I have bought off Ebay and sent it back and is was not from Panamabob. The hat was not as advertised. Some of the sellers you have listed I also checked them out and I bought a Limited - Special Reserve from one of the sellers you have listed and there wasn't anything special about it except way over priced and a terrible woven hat { uneven back weave poor color and no way near a real Fino Fino quality Montecristi Panama hat}
Oh come on, tell us which vendors. What's the point in having a discussion forum if you can't exchange scandalous gossip like that? :)

scotrace said:
For next summer, I want one like... like CanaDave's "reverse taper" die-for model... or James Powers' with the sweet vintage blue ribbon... or like just about any of Sharpey's.

Heheheheh. You mean like this one?:

Panama2.jpg

or this
Panama1.jpg

;)

Regards to all,

J

Reactions: DRB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member