Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sparton radio, estimated date?

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Any idea when this is from? Got it at a swap meet for $5, it's in wretched condition but couldn't pass it up.

box1.jpg

I soldered an ipod to the speaker terminals. It produces rich sound without the unit needing to be plugged in. Does that date it as post war? I was thinking it might even be early 50's from the type, but I'm just learning about classic radios.

box2.jpg

Loaded about 12 gigs of old time radio: serials, news, music, boxing, baseball, even axis and allied war propaganda and songs. Considering an hour's worth of OTR takes up like 7-14mb, That's alot of continuous music given the mono and low bitrate. Place it on shuffle, and voila, it's a time machine!
Fully mobile too. I'll spare you the pics of me using it as an improvised Irving Berlin Ghetto blaster. lol

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I can't really help you with the details on aging your "new" radio, Bustercat. But just wanted to say thanks for posting it! I too get a kick out of being able to listen to old time radio on a classic tube radio, and I like to see others' setups as well. :eusa_clap

Also, I think $5 was a great deal!

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Yeah, the wood is pretty deeply gouged on the side—it was taken out of a condemned house by workmen and treated like trash—the cord was cut and it was covered with plaster when I got it. I dig the way it looks after a bit of TLC, some lemon oil, and some simichrome on the knobs. It really feels like a relic. I like the typography too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw