Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spear point collar shirts

Eckener

New in Town
Certainly. I consider it closed too.

The perfect world is for us to create and you can count me in to play my part.

Cool. Creation is inarguably our divined milieu.

It is forever frustrating to repeat amongst my peers, for the love of G-d, we are all on the same side.

Luxire

Vendor
Talking of classics, this is a modern one. The edges of the collar and pocket flaps are lined with copper wire.

This one is for the love of the frowning purist:

20120923_123301.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I did write a longer comment yesterday but deleted it because I don't want to take sides. I am quite between the chairs so to speak. The shirts are beautifully made. I am happy that they are affordable because I am constantly broke and not earning much in the near future either. But I think it's not fair to compare them to shirts made in USA or europe. The costs are higher there because people try to make a living with this. They work hard just as we do in our jobs. I also have very strong feelings about taking "inspiration" from one side and not giving credits. My girlfriend is a seamstress and found a cheap copy of one of her designs (unmistakable) on the german ebay. A rockabilly brand with adresse in germany but made in asia. There is not much what you can do about it in the fashion industry but I saw her disappointment and I can understand it. So I hope you can find some kind of agreement between Luxire and Matt Deckard. There has been some misunderstanding on both sides I think.

There is a nother "fairness" thing tah bugs me. Luxire do you plan to take part on this forum on other places as the shirt topic? Because if not I don't see why Marc Chevaliers spearpoint collar shirt thread got deleted. Yes, he left. So what? He educated the FL about some of the most interesting topics before and showed some of the best collectors pieces that he certainly bought with his own money (plus the knowledge and time to find them) He was a very active member. Revamp is not even his own brand and I don't think he earned money from the shirts. He just wanted to make spearpoint collar shirts available again. There are many other members who have a business and post their newest creations (beautiful caps for example) but they are active members. I think that's cool too. Matt Deckard is one of them btw.
There is a vendors sub forum for a reason. I hope you don't take this personal. The shirts are great and I agree ideally we are all on the same side.

Oh damn. Now I wrote too much again:eusa_doh: Sorry.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Matt did contribute to the development of this product. We made and sent him many samples. We got his labels made on assurance of an order confirmation. He selected fabrics for his bulk order. Paid not a single penny and disappeared. We sent him multiple reminders. He chose not to reply.

i had a feeling there would be another side to this story.

Flo, we need to hear from a bartender why that thread was deleted.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
We sent him multiple reminders. He chose not to reply.

The last communication from him was in May. We sent him few reminders after that. Then we gave up.
I referred a friend, who was interested in buying couple of vintage inspired suits, to his site. He sent half a dozen e-mails and never received a reply. There are several similar comments on the FL thread devoted to his site. Personally, I think that it's wonderful that Luxire picked up the ball and ran it over here. Not a lot of shirt makers would have done that.

swinggal

One Too Many
I did write a longer comment yesterday but deleted it because I don't want to take sides. I am quite between the chairs so to speak. The shirts are beautifully made. I am happy that they are affordable because I am constantly broke and not earning much in the near future either. But I think it's not fair to compare them to shirts made in USA or europe. The costs are higher there because people try to make a living with this. They work hard just as we do in our jobs. I also have very strong feelings about taking "inspiration" from one side and not giving credits. My girlfriend is a seamstress and found a cheap copy of one of her designs (unmistakable) on the german ebay. A rockabilly brand with adresse in germany but made in asia. There is not much what you can do about it in the fashion industry but I saw her disappointment and I can understand it. So I hope you can find some kind of agreement between Luxire and Matt Deckard. There has been some misunderstanding on both sides I think.

There is a nother "fairness" thing tah bugs me. Luxire do you plan to take part on this forum on other places as the shirt topic? Because if not I don't see why Marc Chevaliers spearpoint collar shirt thread got deleted. Yes, he left. So what? He educated the FL about some of the most interesting topics before and showed some of the best collectors pieces that he certainly bought with his own money (plus the knowledge and time to find them) He was a very active member. Revamp is not even his own brand and I don't think he earned money from the shirts. He just wanted to make spearpoint collar shirts available again. There are many other members who have a business and post their newest creations (beautiful caps for example) but they are active members. I think that's cool too. Matt Deckard is one of them btw.
There is a vendors sub forum for a reason. I hope you don't take this personal. The shirts are great and I agree ideally we are all on the same side.

Oh damn. Now I wrote too much again:eusa_doh: Sorry.

Marc was banned from the forum btw, he did not just 'leave'.

Luxire

Vendor
Dear FFF,

Matt issue: That issue has been settled right in front of our eyes. It would not be fair to comment on it again. Our interview in unrefinery says a lot about us.

About made in Asia: Luxire is an American company, based in Edison, NJ. We have our head office here, our warehouse is here, our administration is done here and our decisions are made here. Our bank accounts are here. Like many American companies, including our iconic brands, we too have outsourced some of our operations to Asia, not so much to save cost but because we could not get the right consistent quality here without bringing in manpower from Asia. This topic has been discussed here before and am not sure why our nationality and origin comes into play here time and again. When the opportunity arises, we will be more than willing to shift our operations back to where it belongs. But for now, we as a country have been guilty of killing our manufacturing strength. I watch for the reversal closely.

On my participation and ability to contribute to the forum: I am a shirt-maker, and a learner. I also like to share what I learn and know. To a large extent, we do not believe in trade secrets. Our participation across the board on Styleforum and AAAC points to that. It is all about comfort. As I gradually feel comfortable about the members here and know them better, I would be more than joyed to share my knowledge and learn at the same time. I would also be selling some shirts as a part of the process, am not sure if that is such a bad thing. I do see other members doing the same. In the near future, would also be happy to become a 'paying member' of the forum, if there is such an option available. If there is a rule I am violating, would be glad to take corrective steps.

A small company, run by 3 people, victims of recession, foolishly obsessed with quality, working 20 hours a day, trying to make ends meet.
I am one among you guys. Here to be friends.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dear Luxire,
Thank your for the clarification.I just recommended you to a friend who was on the look for spearpoint collar shirts and maybe I will order some for myself in the future. So no hard feelings on my side. Yes, I know the struggle so I was merely defending the "high prices" of other companies. It's less about nationality itself than about supporting your local scene, so to speak. They are not getting rich on their higher prices but they make jobs. I think this is important. It's good to know that you are one of us. Please try to get more than 4 hours of sleep a day though. ;)

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
i had a feeling there would be another side to this story.

That's why I said "if". I am glad Luxire was able to explain his side of the story in a way that I find satisfactory. I'll surely place an order next time I need a shirt. If I like their shirts better than what I am getting from Jantzen I'll be a happy regular customer.

Luxire

Vendor
Dear Luxire,
Thank your for the clarification.I just recommended you to a friend who was on the look for spearpoint collar shirts and maybe I will order some for myself in the future. So no hard feelings on my side. Yes, I know the struggle so I was merely defending the "high prices" of other companies. It's less about nationality itself than about supporting your local scene, so to speak. They are not getting rich on their higher prices but they make jobs. I think this is important. It's good to know that you are one of us. Please try to get more than 4 hours of sleep a day though. ;)

Thank you FFF. The importance of the need for creating jobs cannot be over emphasized. Our retail push, which should start early next year will be a positive step in that direction. There is also a model for skill development and employment that we are putting to practice in our overseas facility. We are studying locations back home where we can put that to good use. But these are some time away from being reality.

That's why I said "if". I am glad Luxire was able to explain his side of the story in a way that I find satisfactory. I'll surely place an order next time I need a shirt. If I like their shirts better than what I am getting from Jantzen I'll be a happy regular customer.

Will look forward to it Rudie and would work hard for it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I don't want to get involved in any arguments about 'ownership' of the design. The shirt I asked for is effectively a copy of Qirrel's yellow striped shirt. Let's give Qirrel credit for his role in getting my shirt to be so nice - and so popular with you all.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
So look, I'm noticing some unpleasant undertones going on in this thread. I would like to point out several things.

First of all, as several people have said, no one owns the copyright for the dagger collar or so-called "Deckard" S-curve collar. See the following shirts, which I've been having made by Joe Hemrajani for years as evidence; I arrived at these designs solely based on Apparel Arts images, old shirts I saw in old movies, vintage piece I found over the years, and based of discussion with fellow FL'ers.

Second of all, before anyone goes accusing anyone else of unethical business practice, I would like to point out comparatively few loungers have actually done business with Matt Deckard Apparel or Luxire, and as such are in no position really speak to their respective quality of service. I have numerous long-term, real life friends (read: not on the internet) who personally know Mr. Deckard and are great friends of his. By all accounts he is a standup guy and I think what he is trying to do with Deckard Apparel is awesome.

That said, he is notoriously inconstant with his business, sometimes not updating the site for many, many months (years?). He also has not posted pictures of sample garments (other than hats) in over a year, at least. As A.C. Lyles said, Matt can be very intermittent when it comes to replying to emails. I experienced this myself earlier this year when I began the process of commissioning a suit from him. Ultimately, because of his slow response time to emailed questions, I opted to take my business elsewhere.

Originals:
30sshirt1.png

40shirt2.png

Copy:
IMG_1231.jpg

Another copy:
IMG_1226.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The collar and collar stand go far beyond the design of the ones done for Hemrajani. And the details of the body of the shirt took several emails with measurements, descriptions and images with measurements to get the proper cut and fit. The last email I received from Arnaud at Luxire was a direct response to an email I sent about doing labels.
There were no messages following that email, nor were their calls telling me what Luxire's plans were. All the emails on designing the shirt with its very specific details like the collar and it's dimensions were sent and received with intent for it to be a design for my label. Many of the emails are titled Matt Deckard Apparel Shirt and Private Label.

The shirt that is being produced by Luxire, the spearpoint collar which took many many iterations to get just right, the butterfly tails and their closure, the cuffs and several other details took a lot of meticulous back and forth between me and Arnaud as I specified detail after detail that had to be redone and redone until the company got the design to the specifics I wanted. At no time was I told that Luxire would use this design or the specific details in their lineup as I was working with the company to specifically make a line of private label shirts for Matt Deckard Apparel.

Last edited:

Luxire

Vendor
1. I would still maintain that the issue is now closed. I do expect this pestering to go on, but I would not reply to it.

2. If pestered further and if there is broad consensus, I would be glad to publish the complete set of email communication between Matt and us. Then the people here can decide. As there was no other communication between Matt and us except the emails, that would be the complete picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats