Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

cookie

I'll Lock Up
They're barely 4" measured across the widest part of the sole - and definitely too tight when I put them on.

I thought about having them stretched but wondered if the fabric could take it. Any thoughts?

No problem. But a D size is usually a tad over 4 inches. You may have EE feet. Go get your feet measured on a Brannock device.

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Pity FootJoy went out of business a couple of years ago but I bet you could still get that name out of the company records. Great shoes BTW! Now for the buck bag.

Hey Cookie, I tried the buck bag on a vtg pair of specs I picked up not too long ago and that powder goes everywhere. Any tricks to it, or suggestions?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Hey Cookie, I tried the buck bag on a vtg pair of specs I picked up not too long ago and that powder goes everywhere. Any tricks to it, or suggestions?

Well I just used one too and kept a damp cloth handy. The taps need to be forceful but not too violent and more directed IMO = this is based on one practice session on an old pair. Don't inhale the chalk either by being too vigourous.

flyfishark

Practically Family
How the hell do you guys make that link pop up? I'm a luddite, so no need to throw that at me. Anyway, check out these specs on eBay. I know they're expensive, but if they were my size I buy them right now. Item number (remember, I don't know how to do the "pop-up thingy") is 260809785278

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Well, all the talk about spectator shoes got me thinking. Interestingly enough, I didn't set out to purchase a pair. I was shopping at a Johnston & Murphy store for someone else and found these.

spectator_shoes.jpg

The "white" part is made of a canvas-type material. They are a discontinued model no longer offered by J&M. They were in my size and comfortable to wear and on sale! I grabbed them and didn't look back. The next day, I checked with my local cobbler and he said he could work on them if need be.

I think it's funny how you can find some of your best summer deals while Christmas shopping.

On a side note, I was watching Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire and noticed that they wore their "Specs" to Easter Service.

Pyro.

As an example of the old saw about everything old becomes new again, Allen Edmonds is just introducing this model with the same features. A bit pricey, I admit, but perhaps in the coming year . . . For next summer's heat wave, you understand! ;)

cookie

I'll Lock Up
These are on their way Down Under. Harris brand. High quality Italian Goodyear welted shoes. A bit out there but for the price could not resist. I suspect that with these I should be able to reprise Steve Buscemi/Nucky but no plans to go for a walk on the beach to check out my contraband liquor arriving on the tide....

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nice. One of the few Harris styles I'd wear. Used to see Harris turn up at Marshall's priced under $100. Always thought that odd.

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Nice. One of the few Harris styles I'd wear. Used to see Harris turn up at Marshall's priced under $100. Always thought that odd.

Harris has made some real changes since becoming the Barney's "house brand". Construction was always very good (heavy & goodyear stitched), but they've (thankfully) tossed some of the crazy pointy-toed styles for more "wearable" fashions.

Traditional double monk:

http://www.barneys.com/Double-Monk-Shoe/501195950,default,pd.html

Wingtip Chukka

http://www.barneys.com/Medallion-Toe-Chukka/501195976,default,pd.html

Captoe Blucher

http://www.barneys.com/Cap-Toe-Blucher/103015433,default,pd.html

Best detail of Harris shoes is their antiquing, which is first rate. Better than most Sutor models I've seen as well. At that price point (around $600 retail), they're a steal.

*Side note, I miss the old days at Marshall's. They used to have contracts with the major top-line department stores & could get some REAL top-rate shoes when the seasons changed. THEN, internet sales came & they're back to getting Cole Haans & the like. Sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou