Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spelling

Foofoogal

Banned
Well she is radiant and lovely to look at. Probably didn't matter if she could spell a lick in 1936. :p lol

and of course genial so she had lots of friends to spell for her..

davestlouis

Practically Family
Look at the penmanship on that old yearbook page...it's legible! My kids can barely scribble anything in proper cursive, and the schools around here spent very little time on handwriting, on the premise that kids will be typing on a keyboard, and writing is irrelevant.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Foofoogal said:
Spelling is in the genes.
Nope, it's on the toolbar. ;)

abc.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
Well she is radiant and lovely to look at. Probably didn't matter if she could spell a lick in 1936. :p lol

and of course genial so she had lots of friends to spell for her..

Hehe! lol. She WAS quite lovely. ;)

W4ASZ

Practically Family
davestlouis said:
Look at the penmanship on that old yearbook page...it's legible! My kids can barely scribble anything in proper cursive, and the schools around here spent very little time on handwriting, on the premise that kids will be typing on a keyboard, and writing is irrelevant.

Face it, the game was over when they decided to allow kids to use pocket calculators when taking the SATs.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My grandmother, who was an English teacher all her life, and wrote wonderful poetry, couldn't spell to save her soul. She used to fill in whole quadrants of the NY Times crossword puzzle with mispelled wrong words.
However I think a distinction should be made between misspelling and simple typos. Very often a person can stare at a word for minutes and not realize it's wrong till somebody else points it out. But those great big signs, well, that another story.

Foofoogal

Banned
Nope, it's on the toolbar.
---------------------

Do you know I have even found misspelled words on spell check. :p

I agree dhermann1. In forums like this one can try to respond so quickly mistakes are made.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
More 1936

"Buzz" on the bottom there has terrible grammar! What on earth is a "goin"?? lol lol lol Oh, did he mean goin' ?? G-dropping and all. Tsk Tsk!

5012709485_abb06345b8_b.jpg

I have more from various 1930s yearbooks. People back then couldn't spell, either. Nothing new.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I just don't think enough emphasis is placed on children of school age learning the basics of punctuation, spelling and legible handwriting. I accept children have their own vocabulary they use amongst themselves to seperate themselves from the fuddy-duddy adults, it was the same when i was growing up, but we still were capable of 'proper English' when called for.

My son who is supposedly top of the class, well, it beggars belief as to how poor his spelling, grammar and punctuation is. But then what schools seem to prioritise as the necessities, seems to be very different as to what it was in my schooldays. We learnt spelling, times-tables, punctuation etc, parrot fashion, so it actually sunk in, job done, then moved on to the finer points of a subject. What is going on now at school i have no idea, luckily my son has his harridan of a Mother at home to try and correct his spelling and grammar for him!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
~Psycho Sue~ said:
I agree, let's not be our parents by putting down the younger generation. That's so.....tacky. :eusa_booh

Word. lol I said WORD!
Anyway, some of the handwriting in these yearbooks *is* actrocious! Maybe I haven't been scanning the right pages, but some I can't even decipher. Some signatures look like straight lines with a curl upwards every so often. Some signatures are so sloppy!

I used to be a "grammar and spelling Nazi" (and I still am to an extent, hehe!), but when I got these yearbooks with all the misspelled words, bad handwriting, and improper usages of your/you're and there/their, well, bad spelling started to become endearing to me!

As for textspeak, I have no problems with that, either. It's a "Secret Language" (SLANG) for the younger generation and slang has been going on forever. The 1920s and all their zany phrases that actually meant something else always comes to mind when people put down "todays" slang. :rolleyes:

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
My Humblest Apologies

My Humblest Apologies to anyone at the lounge who is irritated by my spelling and grammar. Seriously.

I went to Texas Public Schools from the 1970's to the 1980's and don't remember ever having a class on grammar.

I think the first class I had on grammar was in college. I sort of remember diagramming a sentence or two. But I didn't really "get" what grammar was all about.

This really makes me sad because I really want to know proper grammar and how to spell. I feel like having consistent grammar and spelling in a society helps people to communicate. I'm actually looking at taking an English class in the spring semester at a local university.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
SlyGI said:
I went to Texas Public Schools from the 1970's to the 1980's and don't remember ever having a class on grammar.

I think the first class I had on grammar was in college. I sort of remember diagramming a sentence or two. But I didn't really "get" what grammar was all about.

That's just amazing to me. In the early 70s here in Maine, we had intensive grammar from the fourth thru the eighth grades. "Warriner's English Grammar and Composition" was our textbook, and it was pretty uncompromising stuff. You knew the nuts and bolts of the language before you got into high school -- or you didn't get into high school, it was as simple as that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats