Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spider-Man 3

Jovan

Suspended
Saw it just a while ago at the midnight premiere here. Please, post your reactions.

I personally thought the material was handled very well. There's a whole lotta effects sequences, sure, but it works for a comic book come to life. There will be surprises, believe me. There's the occasional cliché, but it wasn't anything really bothersome. All the actors excelled in their roles, being sometimes campy and saying things that make you giggle. But hey, that's part of the fun of Sam Raimi movies. The story is strong, and it shows. It's real people having real problems.

I highly recommend seeing this. I was worried it would become a Superman III (two strong movies, then one that showed promise but didn't deliver), but I was quite wrong.

Dalexs

Practically Family
I was SUPPOSED to see it last night at IMAX, but...

I bought tickets abotu 3 weeks ago for a bunch of us at work.
We we're heading to the midnight show.
Got there 2 hours early. Got great seats.
While waiting for the show to start, about 11:35pm, an employee walks in, announces that a bomb threat was just called in, everyone has to vacate the building and the show is cancelled! :rage:

Everyone is standing around thinking that its a joke and then the police walk in. :rage:

They did give us complimentary passes BUT they can't be used until 2 weeks AFTER a new movie is released.

I hope thye string the caller up by the @#%!@#.
It was probably some dumb kid who couldn't get into the sold out show.
AND probably called on a cell phone (which now makes the offense a federal crime!)

Oh well, I have to wait and see it with the kids.

Dalexs

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dalexs said:
I was SUPPOSED to see it last night at IMAX, but...

I bought tickets abotu 3 weeks ago for a bunch of us at work.
We we're heading to the midnight show.
Got there 2 hours early. Got great seats.
While waiting for the show to start, about 11:35pm, an employee walks in, announces that a bomb threat was just called in, everyone has to vacate the building and the show is cancelled! :rage:

Everyone is standing around thinking that its a joke and then the police walk in. :rage:

They did give us complimentary passes BUT they can't be used until 2 weeks AFTER a new movie is released.

I hope thye string the caller up by the @#%!@#.
It was probably some dumb kid who couldn't get into the sold out show.
AND probably called on a cell phone (which now makes the offense a federal crime!)

Oh well, I have to wait and see it with the kids.

Dalexs

Was this at The Jordan's IMAX??? Golly gee, what a shame. Probably some disgruntled fanatic who didn't buy tickets on time, thought that if he couldn't see the midnight premiere nobody could![huh] Well, I'm glad for your sake and the sake of all other IMAX patrons that it was just a false threat and nothing serious. I'm sorry you have to wait another 2 weeks to see it. It does seem quite ridiculous that they are making you wait 2 weeks. They are the ones who canceled the show. HMPH[huh]

Well, I'm another who really wants to see this on the big screen. I'm not much of a movie goer. The crowds, the messy theaters, the abundance of bad movies. But, I think a film like this should definitely be seen at the theater. Maybe I'll do a mid-week matinee to avoid crowds.

I too would like to know what others who have seen it think..
To those of you going to see it soon, please chime in, and enjoy the show:)

Rafter

Suspended
You've probably seen Spider-Man's new black suit, a costume guaranteed to arrive on the doorstep of my 8 year old nephew, this Halloween.
The color change, is brought about in "Spider-Man 3" by alien slime that darkens Peter Parker's heart and mind, causing a fearsome personality change. Once he turns to the dark side, Spidey starts thugging around in a Hitler haircut and generally acting like a "punk on a rageaholic bender".

spiderman3a.jpg

The latest Spidey installment heads far more into brooding territory than its predecessors. This has me thinking,.. do I really want to see something like this?
But I've been told that's not really the case. Looking forward to see it this weekend!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
I can't wait to see it. I've read mixed reviews, but was happy to read your's Jovan. I've always been a big Sam Raimi fan and when he disappoints, it hurts my heart a little.

My 7 & 5 year old nephews will no doubt hop on the Spidey-Halloween band wagon. I mean how else do you follow up last year's Green Lantern & Batman??

Jovan

Suspended
Dalexs: While Superman Returns wasn't as good as any of the Spider-Mans (IMO), I would have been angry if that happened. I'm sorry you were cheated from such an experience. It was a great ride in theatres, and would be an even greater one in IMAX.

Rafter: Kady joked during the movie that Peter had turned emo with his (darker) hair in his face and his eyes all dark. It's a subtle effect, but it's there.

Doh!

One Too Many
Rafter said:
..."punk on a rageaholic bender".

The latest Spidey installment heads far more into brooding territory than its predecessors. This has me thinking,.. do I really want to see something like this?
But I've been told that's not really the case. Looking forward to see it this weekend!

Not to worry, Rafter; he's more like an Emo kid who's seen The Nutty Professor (or The Mask) one too many times.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

I didn't care much for this one: too silly. Too many villains. Too much CGI. At the end, these was no character growth so if they make a no. 4, this one could go missing and the continuity wouldn't be interrupted one iota.

A major thing that bugged me was that they negated the storyline of Peter avenging Uncle Ben's death. It turns out, the pre-Sandman did it by accident. Whoops! This really takes away from the origin we saw in Part 1, and the whole "With great power comes great responsibility" warning from Ben Kenobi. er, Uncle Ben.

Also, how do you establish that water can harm the Sandman, show us a water tower in the climatic battle -- and then never use it? Did Spidey forget how it'd effect the now Kong-sized villian who was trying to kill him??

Last thought: Batman never cried.

mikepara

Practically Family
It was fun.

I love Spidey, I grew up with Spidey and he literally saved my life. So I was afraid the movies would suck. instead they just get better. Daft but great. go see it, I don't think it'll be the best movie you ever saw but I'll doubt it'll really disappoint.

Feraud

Bartender
Doh!'s comments sum of the film for me too.
It was not The Amazing Spider-Man of my comic book reading youth but another spider man movie...

AlanC

Okay, I'm fairly easy to please on these popcorn flicks, but I liked it for what it was. Keep in mind we're starting with the premise of a guy who is bitten by a radioactive spider, and then starts swinging around in a skin-tight outfit. I want a relatively coherent plot, good special effects and some good fight scenes. I'll probably like other movies better this summer, but I'm not sorry I went to see it.

Jovan

Suspended
Aha! But in the movies it's merely a mutated spider, the Venom symbiote merely comes from an anonymous meteorite that hits Earth, etc. Nothing's going to be EXACTLY the same as in the comics in movies.

I didn't read Spider-Man religiously, but in contrast to Feraud's opinion I think the movies have done it proud so far. I was certainly an avid fan of the TV series (which was closer to the comics since it had more time to flesh out plots and details). One does wonder what they'll do for the next movie, though.

Doh!

One Too Many
Jovan said:
One does wonder what they'll do for the next movie, though.

Hopefully, we'll finally get to see The Lizard. In the comics, Peter's one-armed professor tries to regenerate his missing limb with lizard DNA (or something) and instead turns into a human/lizard hybrid. They could even tie it in with this movie if he tries to use the sample of Venom he was doing tests on.

Or, if they go through with Ben Kingsley as The Vulture, they might have something there. That would also be faithflul to the comics: an older bald guy turned supervillian.

Steve

Practically Family
I saw it earlier this week. I was good, though some of the plot was a replay of Spiderman 2, with MJ and Peter's roles reversed. I liked it though, it was entertaining and good fun. I only wish that they had given Venom more screen time.

lindylady

A-List Customer
I saw it on Monday. It was a good movie, but you have to watch Spider-Man 2 if you want to catch all the inside jokes. I can't believe that Peter never got to propose to MJ. It seems that the producers are stretching this series far.

flat-top

I loved it! I enjoyed every minute of it. Sure, some of it was silly, but this is a summer blockbuster, and I think it delivered.
I thought the "goth" Peter Parker was great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou