Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spit and polish

John Steed

New in Town
dhermann1 said:
I became reasonably competent during my days as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children (USMC ;) ). I recently tried it on a pair of Allen Edmunds Park Avenues. I must say, I'm pretty rusty, but was fairly satisfied with the results.
Back in The Corps, we used Kiwi polish (preferred over Esquire), and put water in the lid. First dip your handkerchief covered finger into the water. Mash the hanky covered finger into the wax, trying to get a lot of the oil onto it. The oil is less black than the actual wax. Get a fairly small amount of wax on the cloth. Then gently go in circles over the surface. You really need to see somebody do it to get it right. My understanding is that the water softens and flattens the cotton fibers, and it's the flattened cotton fibers that provide the magic of a spit shine. It's a lot of work, really an art, but the results can be spectacular. Somehow much more elegant and sheeny than simple patent leather.

This was the technique that I learned while serving Her Majesty's Armed Forces Reserve. I found that the best results depended upon the type of polish used. My polish of choice was Kiwi Parade Gloss polish, which is turpentine-based, and shines like glass when buffed properly. You have to build a few layers of ordinary wax polish before you use this, however, as the turpentine in the polish will cause the leather to crack if you're not careful. The wax polish will form a protective layer to prevent this.

Spit

Thanks folks for the tips,I have another"spit" related one,a friend used to work for Steinway piano,as a tech,he would tune many Steinways in NYC,concert pianists,and the like.He said a few clients who owned Strad violins would also use spit to clean the instrument....Never any kind of polish at all....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
So what is that missing step?
Dropping the shoes off to be polished at this shop. :p

stan2.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Aaronlowe said:
When I learned it in the army back in the very early 80s we used cotton balls and water and lots, and lots of coats of polish. Some guys would put a match to the wax and let it melt and then rub the liquified wax into the boot. You would then take a cotton ball dipped in water and polish, polish, polish. Repeat until shine is like a mirror. It really depends on how the leather is finished, too. My Corcoran jump boots would spit shine after a few weeks of polishing. My Gov Issue combat boots never really got that shiny, and that was after years of daily polishing.

Wax on, wax off. :)

This is exactly how we did it, flames and all, in the U.S. Navy. However, it's key to use a VERY thin coat of liquified wax with each application. Otherwise the shoe will, with time, end up caked with a bumpy, cracked veneer.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some shoes take a shine better than others. My boots from the Air Force would not shine at all. Everybody in my flight had a go at them. Later on, an Air Force Academy cadet tried. After that, a friend tried and succeeded. This friend often complained of a really acid stomach; he may have had reflux too. Maybe that had something to do with it. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
An old family superstition in our house was that a new pair of shoes when polished for the first time should be left overnight with the polish on, so it can really soak in. Unfortunately, I did that with a couple of pairs a while back, forgot about them for a couple of weeks and.... no way anything was shifting that. I took them into the guy who does all my shoe repairs, and he buffed them up on the machine. They came up so well, I'm having harebrained thoughts about buying a buffer attachment for my electric drill for polishing to a shine....

I do like a nice, shiny pair of shoes, myself. I know patent is technically correct for evening wear, but I've never been quite convinced: a high sheen on regular leather somehow always looks much classier to me. [huh]

When it comes to polish, I'm a burner. Highly doubt it makes any real difference, but I like the ritual of it. Makes me think of Travis Bickle.... I think Taxi Driver must have been the first time I saw it done.

Speedbird

A-List Customer
spit, polish, time .... all that is required

Lots of arcane ways and old school tips and tricks ... burning, floor polish, cotton buds etc they all work to a one extent or another and more or less to a high degree of shine. British Guardsman use beeswax etc etc US forces have different traditions to British, and each generation and service has their own trade secrets thus there is always a load of different suggestions for how to do this!

However, most shortcuts are probably best avoided for anything important or potentially fragile. Repeated flaming or burning can dry out the leather rapidly; floor waxes can crack at really inopportune moments (2 minutes before parade inspection!) or react with the leather or previous coatings. Shortcuts are always tried to save time and energy and with varying degrees of success.

If a truly genuine deep mirror like gloss is required IMO there is no really reliable shortcut and the best way is to do it the long way:

Equipments required: 2 x horsehair (preferably) brushes - one for on, one for off; lint free cloth - old cotton t-shirts are perfect; Kiwi standard polish is best but Cherry Blossom works too (Parade Gloss is sometimes quoted - best avoided for a real deep mirror shine as it contains parafin/turpentine which actually makes a deep shine harder to achieve (but conversely a quick surface shine easier); a finger; your tongue (or a small amount of water in tin lid if squeamish) and a comfy chair with favourite radio station tuned (maybe some beers) and a lot of time...... :)

1. Clean shoe/boot surface with damp cloth to free from dust - obviously wash and dry thoroughly if caked in dirt.

2. Brush on, brush off first few layers of polish to achieve a reasonable 'civvy' shine.

3. Use a spoon heated with steam to press/melt further polish into any divots caused by scuffs/scratches to achieve a smooth surface. The spoon heat will also blend, melt and smooth the intitial layers of polish (the main purpose of flaming/burning - this also gets rid of alcohol/parafin/turps which gets in the way of the deep shine - but if you don't use parade gloss flaming is redundant) in a gentle non-damaging way.

4. Take cloth and wrap a smooth layer around index finger (or index/second finger).

5. Dab cloth to tongue then to polish in tin. Apply to shoe/boot in circular motion building up layers, thicker layers at first becoming thinner - you need to put a decent thickness of polish on to polish out if you see what I mean! The depth is the key - like a wooden floor!

6. As you make circles, roughly the size of a ten pence piece (or a quarter if US) the polish will start to 'haze' - this is good. Continue to rub until haze disappears; now you are shining!

7. This is where the spit comes in (or water) - when you feel the cloth start to feel 'rough' or friction on the shoe/boot surface, then it's time to dab cloth to tongue to apply a small amount of spit (or dab cloth to tin to pick up a small droplet of water) - the idea is the spit/water lubricates the polishing motion. Too much water means you need more polish to absorb it and so too much spit/water becomes counter productive, which is why I commend cloth to tongue to boot - not spitting, splashing or spraying the boot.

8. Repeat endlessly using ever decreasing amounts of polish.

9. Sometimes it is good to vary the motion occasionally, if nothing else to give your digits a rest - but sometimes some patches just don't react to the standard action. And some shoes and boots just are wilfully stubborn and refuse to co-operate without much cursing, effort and frustration.

9. A mirror like shine will begin to appear. When you can clearly see your face with actual colour and details you have achieved the infamous spit shine finish.

10. Knowing when to stop is something like alchemy - I have ruined many hours of 'bulling' by going for just one last coat!

Repeat for second boot/shoe.

Did I mention this takes hours and hours? Probably 3 - 4 hours to go from scratch to a decent result - but it gets quicker with practice.

However, the good news is, once built up, usually a maintenance top-up takes a fraction of the time.

@ Edward ^^^^ a buffer pad on a drill is not so crazy for the bulk of the shoe/boot but remember to lubricate! Best avoided for final finish on toe caps.

Enjoy!

cptjeff

Practically Family
Edward said:
I do like a nice, shiny pair of shoes, myself. I know patent is technically correct for evening wear, but I've never been quite convinced: a high sheen on regular leather somehow always looks much classier to me. [huh]
I would agree with that. Seeing patent shoes makes me wonder if the old linseed oil method looked any different then the modern plastic coatings.

Either way, I hate the look of patent. It looks like what it is- a cheap plastic finish on a nice shoe.

wwhitby

New in Town
My Dad taught me a spit shine method that he used when he was in the National Guard. You need Kiwi polish, cotton balls, a horsehair Kiwi shoe brush and warm water.

To start with, remove any dust, dirt, etc from your shoes. Then, soak the cotton balls in the warm water and then rub them in the Kiwi to load them up with polish. Next slowly make small circles with the cotton balls on your shoes. The polish will be hazy. After you've covered a shoe with Kiwi use the shoe brush to polish the shoes. Repeat with the water/Kiwi cotton balls and then brush again until you have a shine that you are happy with.

I've found there are some shoes that won't take a shine no matter how hard you polish them.

BTW, this is my first post. I've been lurking for a while.

Warren

fallbackdown82

New in Town
I always used Lincoln Stain Wax while in the army. I never was a fan of the parade gloss. Soften the Lincoln up really nice with a hair dryer, rub into the boots with a cotton ball, and sprinkle warm water as you buff in circles. I had pretty good results!

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
My first post after a few days lurking in the FL. I'm giddy with excitement!

I spent many - probably countless - hours back in the Marine Corps polishing my leather shoes and combat boots. It was a favorite time killer in boot camp, right along with polishing your brass belt buckles and tips.

All of the hints and methods are correct in some form or fashion. The essence is the same.

A quick note: if you're out and need an emergency shine on your shoes (before you meet the Queen Mother, let's say), rub them down with the inside of a banana peel. You'll get a fresh-smelling high gloss shine - but remember to stripe and re-wax once your done!

Also, for those of us who remember the Kiwi liquid edge dressing in the glass bottles (that someone always broke in the squad bay just before inspection), it's true - they've been discontinued. The plastic bottles with the cotton nub are poor substitutes. Luckily Angelus Shoe Polish Company in California makes their own version of the liquid in the glass bottle - the Roll Call Edge Dressing. It's in a plastic bottle, but uses an applicator to coat the liquid onto the edges of your soles. Gents, this is the same high-gloss edge dressing we used for inspections and parades. I'm in the Navy Reserve now, and I tell all my sailors at inspection time, "USE EDGE DRESSING!" You simply can't go wrong with a good polish and a well-dressed edge.

YETI

A-List Customer
samtemporary said:
Also, for those of us who remember the Kiwi liquid edge dressing in the glass bottles (that someone always broke in the squad bay just before inspection), it's true - they've been discontinued. The plastic bottles with the cotton nub are poor substitutes. Luckily Angelus Shoe Polish Company in California makes their own version of the liquid in the glass bottle - the Roll Call Edge Dressing. It's in a plastic bottle, but uses an applicator to coat the liquid onto the edges of your soles. Gents, this is the same high-gloss edge dressing we used for inspections and parades. I'm in the Navy Reserve now, and I tell all my sailors at inspection time, "USE EDGE DRESSING!" You simply can't go wrong with a good polish and a well-dressed edge.
Welcome aboard! I served in the Navy and we knew about the edge dressing before inspections. Also, we used a little lemon juice instead of water to get a high gloss shine. To digress, why would a former Marine go squid side?

PhantomKnight

New in Town
The main goal is to build up many layers of thin polish. And you actually end up shining the polish not the shoe. So, obviously, this takes HOURS of small circular medium to soft rubbing with your forefinger while adding a little polish and water every few minutes.

It's all been said in other posts - i am just concurring!

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Yet another spit shine thread

As I've been trying to determine how to acheive the legendary "spit polish" I decided to ask over the weekend if my dad remembered how (he hasn't really bothered with it since he was in the Navy 40 years ago).

He said the single most important part he found was using the "right" wax...Esquire NOT Kiwi.
Naturally it appears Esquire is no longer with us, but of course Kiwi could have changed in the last 40 years anyway, and according to Wikipedia both were owned by Sara Lee

I've heard some people here like Lincoln brand. Is that considered the best?
I almost bought "parade gloss" recently, but it said it has silicone in it, which is a no-no for leather.

Thanks!

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I used kiwi for 20 years with no problem spit shining. Even went as far as to use neutral kiwi as a "clear coat" if you will on my jumpboots (one they were spit shined) to add what amounted to a wet appearance.

Moby

Familiar Face
When I was required to have a "spit" shine I used Kiwi without a problem. Just polish your shoes normally, then use a cotton ball to apply additional polish. Dip the cotton ball with polish applied in ice water and rub it in a circular motion over the desired area until a "spit" shine appears. Don't change the cotton ball or apply more polish. A "spit" polish depends on the surface of the cotton ball becoming extremely smooth. It doesn't happen immediately. Be patient, it takes a while. Show us a picture whe you are done.

ex812

Familiar Face
Its easy to get a spit shine with Kiwi. Its what I used in the Army for 10 years. The trick is to put it on thick, heat it up with a heat gun or lighter until its a liquid. Let it dry and then polish it with a cloth dipped in cold water. It will take a few extra minutes but you will be able to shave in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy