Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spitfire sighting

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Spitfire flypast

This takes me back to my childhood. I was born in Stoke - home town of Reginald Mitchell, and I went to the same school as him (though twenty-something years later I hasten to add). Because of its association with Mitchell, in the 'fifties on Battle of Britain Day the city of Stoke was traditionally treated to a lengthy display by a Spitfire, possibly from the newly-formed BoBMF.

Our school, being Mitchell's old school, was accorded the special honour of a low flypast. I remember trooping out onto the playing field and lining up to await the arrival of the 'Spit' with scarcely-contained excitement. Needless to say, we knew the features of the different 'marks' better than our lessons!

I will never forget the sheer thrill I felt almost half a century ago at seeing the plane change from a distant dot to a looming presence in seconds, the sound of the Merlin (or even better, Griffon) building to a deafening crescendo, the sudden shadow flashing over and the incredible prop wash that nearly blew us away. I don't think a Spitfire ever went quite so low as the one in the video, but it was low enough and we were facing towards it, which must heighten the effect.

What wouldn't I give to experience that again!

Alan

Brevet

New in Town
I was at the Goodwood Revival again this year see here an absolutely fantastic 'step back in time' to the immediate post war era of motor racing in England. The event is truly stunning, with huge efforts on behalf of the organisers, and attendees, to recreate the period.

Goodwood was a WWII satellite airfield, RAF Westhampnett, and was the airfield where Douglas Bader took off for his last mission before being shot down and captured. At the revival each year they have an array of WWII planes. This varies from year to year, but usually has at least two P51 Mustangs, Spitfires (various marks) and a Lancaster flypast.

This year, the sight to behold was eight spitfires based on site for the weekend. They performed a number of 'shows', the highlight (for me) flying in two diamond four formations as they performed slow aerobatics perfectly. I've been to airshows and almost got blase at seeing the odd one or two spits doing aeros, but the sight and sound of eight in formation was breathtaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy