Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

splattered paint on my Aero cafe racer

felix03

One of the Regulars
Hello all,

So I accidentally splattered some paint on my aero. I was spray painting, and I got 4 or 5 tiny spots on the right sleeve. Any advice on how to remove the paint? Thanks.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
I think you are S.O.L. The care instructions with most of my leather jackets, warn to stay away from wet paint.

Turpentine and mineral spirits will pull color, out of the leather.

However, if Aero does repairs, it may be possible to have part of the sleeve replaced.

I have a Taylor's Leatherwear jacket, and I had removed a patch from the shoulder. I didn't like the needle holes, in the outline of the patch. Taylor's was able to replace part of the sleeve, for $20. I had put off doing it for a year, because I thought it was going to cost me a bundle, or I would have to buy a replacement jacket. It was worth it. They did a great job with the repair, and you can't tell that part of the jacket, is newer than the others.

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
Hello-

What color is your jacket? If it's black, you can very gently scrape/sand off the paint spots, and then touch up any color loss with black shoe polish.

I used this method to touch up a brand new FQHH Cossack that I scraped up in a fall.

felix03

One of the Regulars
The cafe racer is the brown FQHH. The sleeves on mine are the very dark brown. I tried lightly scraping off some of the tiny paint marks, but they don't come completely off.

Mike K.

One Too Many
You are NOT out of luck!

Get some WD40 and apply a small amount directly over each paint splatter (might want to dab it on with a Q-tip). Let it soak briefly then try gently scraping off the paint.

WD40 is not a petroleum-based product - it is made from fish oil - so it won't remove the finish from your jacket. In fact, if you Google search "WD40 Leather" you'll find that the stuff is actually used often for cleaning and conditioning all sorts of leather products (e.g. shoes, upholstery, etc.). Besides the normal lubricating applications, the product is great for countless other things. It can also remove paint marks from auto finishes.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Who knew?

Mike K. said:
You are NOT out of luck!

Get some WD40 and apply a small amount directly over each paint splatter (might want to dab it on with a Q-tip). Let it soak briefly then try gently scraping off the paint.

WD40 is not a petroleum-based product - it is made from fish oil - so it won't remove the finish from your jacket. In fact, if you Google search "WD40 Leather" you'll find that the stuff is actually used often for cleaning and conditioning all sorts of leather products (e.g. shoes, upholstery, etc.). Besides the normal lubricating applications, the product is great for countless other things. It can also remove paint marks from auto finishes.

Sweet! I am seldom without a supply of WD40 and Duct Tape. If it should move and doesn't, WD40. If moves and shouldn't, Duct Tape. Glad to hear that WD40 has other applications. BTW, the other indispensible items around my house are a cordless drill and lots of deck screws in various lengths.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
WD-40 is a petroleum-based product. According to the MSDS, it is 60 to 70 percent petroleum distillates, 15 to 25 percent petroleum base oil, and 2 to 3 percent carbon dioxide. If Mike K successfully has used WD for removing paint from leather, I guess it has yet another use.

Mac

Mike K.

One Too Many
Kid Mac said:
WD-40 is a petroleum-based product. According to the MSDS, it is 60 to 70 percent petroleum distillates, 15 to 25 percent petroleum base oil, and 2 to 3 percent carbon dioxide.
That might be, but petroleum distillates are also listed on the label of leather balm and many other leather care products.

I just sprayed WD40 directly onto a piece of aniline-dyed horsehide (a sample from Good Wear Leather), let it soak in, rubbed it vigorously, and . . . no problems!! Except for that distinct WD40 smell (which rapidly fades) there is no harm done to the leather finish.

felix03

One of the Regulars
JLStorm said:
Why on earth were your spray painting in an Aero???

I'm asking myself the same thing:(

Since taking delivery of the jacket in February, I try to wear it any chance I get to break it in. That means the first thing I do in the morning and when I get home from work is put it on.

I guess I simply forgot to take it off before spray painting . . .

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
You are NOT out of luck!

Seconded. WD40 has a million uses, including getting stains out of jeans. Can't see why it wouldn't also work on leather too.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
wd40 is good for removing fresh pavement form work boots. so is diesel.

you could match the color of the paint to the jacket and simply paint the paint to match the jacket.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Felix03, you'll have to let us know if the WD40 works. Or if you have to resort to other measures. It sounds like it wouldn't hurt to try it.

felix03

One of the Regulars
Thanks all for the advice!

The WD-40 worked pretty well. I was able to remove the pin-sized paint marks outright, and the bigger spots (about half the diameter of a dime) faded significantly.

However, I think I rubbed the leather a bit too hard -- these areas are now slightly faded and worn. Doesn't look too bad though; they just looks like normal areas of wear. Luckily, the paint is a tan colour so it's not too conspicuous.

JLStorm

Practically Family
felix03 said:
Thanks all for the advice!

The WD-40 worked pretty well. I was able to remove the pin-sized paint marks outright, and the bigger spots (about half the diameter of a dime) faded significantly.

However, I think I rubbed the leather a bit too hard -- these areas are now slightly faded and worn. Doesn't look too bad though; they just looks like normal areas of wear. Luckily, the paint is a tan colour so it's not too conspicuous.

Glad to hear it. Stop painting in your Aero!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot