Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sponge rollers---your looks and suggestions?

Tatum

Practically Family
Cricket said:
Thanks Tatum! I will try your suggestions, and I think I have a brush similar to that one. I have tried so many ways. I have used a pick-like brush to seperate the tamed curls. I have used an older brush that my grandmother used, and it made one poofy mess.

I will try this technique on my next set. If it doesn't work...braid time. lol

Cricket, I will be setting my hair again tonight (didn't have time last night) and if you'd like, I will pull out the video camera when I brush it out tomorrow and post a video! Will that help you? :)

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Well it's been a windy, rainy day and my sponge roller curls are just starting to relax now. I figure it's pretty good since I didn't set them with any product whatsoever. I'll try adding product for tonight's set and see what happens.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Enjoy

So.. I have the most difficult time with finding the right shampoo for my hair and I have since been using Enjoy products.. I have been using the Luxury line and OMG.. has it made a difference in my hair.. and my sets!

The frizz it practically gone and my hair is so soft and shiny... the best part is I dont have to glob on all kinds of serums and creams to make my hair look healthy..

I just had to share this with you ladies.. i am very excited and proud of myself that I have set my hair all week.. lol (thats an accomplishment for me)

It now takes me no more than 10 minutes and I get to have smooth curls in the morning.. wooohoo!

I<3Tiki

New in Town
I, too, have long hair that won't dry by morning in standard sponge rollers (which I hated sleeping in as a kid anyway). My absolute favorite curlers are the Richard Caruso Molecular Curlers. They are kind of like a combination between sponge rollers and hot rollers but they use steam instead of standard heat so I believe they are not as damaging to your hair and, at least for me, they also tame the frizz too.

MrSpadesGirl

New in Town
Jennifer Lynn said:
Grant Fan - We'll see if I fall into the same category. I'm trying foam curlers for the first time in a few years (a Scunci set - came in 4 colors/sizes). I wet my hair and applied some Depp gel for hold while I rolled sections. Even though I went for small sections, the curlers ended up packed (long hair).
The last time I did this, my hair was a few inches shorter, and the curls didn't come out well.

I may have better luck when I get my hair cut next week, and I'm hoping Walmart has my bonnet dryer (ordered 'site to store'). My hair is naturally curly, and the dryer may help out, along with shorter hair.

I have the same problem. I have long, EXTREMELY thick hair. I have the exact same set of rollers.

The first set I did turned out a little tighter than I had planned, but the curls were nice.

The set I did last night turned out horribly. I spritzed my sections with a little water to dampen them before rolling. I ran out of the large (pink) and medium (green) curlers way too soon. After tossing and turning and not being able to sleep on them, I ended up yanking them out in the middle of the night. I look super frizzy today (on top of the horribly humid/rainy Florida day today).

I wanted to just use the pink and green, but I ran out and had to use some of the purple. I ended up looking like a crazy, frizzy poodle. I suppose this sort of thing takes practice. I probably won't be brave enough to try again until the weekend.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Smarty Pants!

;) Hi ya Dolls!
I hate to sound like a "smarty pants" but why don't you gals try "rag curlers" I have some newly purchased seafoam green rollers as I too just got a H/C on the Full Moon (12/2) & decided that maybe I should give them a whirl again since I've not used them since......oh, 1960-something!(I'm 52) Then I got to thinking mom used to tell this story about how her,G'ma,Aunt Gussie,Aunt Kathy & Aunt Rachel used to sit for hours cutting up old worn out white sheets into 1" strips to use in their hair!what they would do with these "rags" was they would cut them into 1" strips then whoever had the longest hair they would use one of the strips as a "Pattern" for the strips length. After the first one was measured using the longest haired persons hair the rest of the strips were cut accordingly.Everybody had to use the same ones so they all cut for the longest haired persons hair!
ultimatley how they "tied" them into the hair was: at the very end the hair the rag would be tied to hold the tips/ends of the hair in the middle of the "rag" a single knot.then that knot with the hair knoted into it would be rolled/twisted to wind the hair up into the "rag", after it got to the scalp they would tie the "rag" into a double knot so that it would secure the "rag" to the scalp.after rolling up all the hair they then would tie their bandana's (or dish clothes) around the head by placing the longest part of the triangle between the two points at the nape bringing the two sides of the triangle towards the top of the head tying it where the "bangs" would normally be sectioned off.then with the back corner of the triangle draping into their faces they would flip that point over the single knot they'd made of the two ends & tied the 2 ends around the point to secure the whole "hat". tucking the sides in was the most important part because there was a common "rule" that (every woman knew & kept) it had to form a "V" (for VICTORY) from the form of the head!if you were looking down at the head from the top view it looked like a "V"
(I'll try to get my daughter to do a video of what I'm talking about if I can tie her down long enough!)
Hope this helps, Dolls!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari