Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square fingernails

Foofoogal

Banned
Ultimately, he admitted the square took about a fourth of the time really shaping ovals does and that's why they pushed them.

aw, that is why. Annoys me when they keep trying to push it. Never been a finicky person about hairstylists but with nails a different story. There are people who can do a nice pedicure and manicure and then there are people who should not even try.
i like them oval and semi-pointed. Just like inkys. Very nice.
I have been taking Vit. D pills lately (doctors orders and it is really helping my nails as well as my back. )
http://www.sandysfancypants.blogspot.com

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
fingernails.jpg

I love the guys hair in the mirror in the background...thats how i feel about those nails. Eep.

I keep my nails fairly round and short. As a massage therapist i don't want to scratch my client or take home any extra skin...Eww. I had the gel nails for awhile and while they were fun, they were totally impractical for me. They never listened to me when i asked for them to be shorter and more oval then square and most of the time, i went home disappointed and had to file them myself. I just have my natural nails now and it's more fun doing what I want with them anyways.

Inky

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
Inky.. your nails are beautiful!! You have inspired me to grow them out agian.. I just have to take realllllly good care of them cause they tend to split when they get really long... any suggestions?

Hi LelaViavonie!

Yes, you do have to take good care of them - when mine were long like that I had to do a home manicure every week. I found that keeping my cuticles in good condition with oiling helps them grow. I also take a good amount of vitamins since my gastric bypass and it has also been since my surgery that my nails can grow that long. coincidence? probably not ;)

I use monoi or olive oil for my cuticles, a good hand moisturizer (I like Jack Black Industrial Hand Healer right now) and for convenience I like Sephora's Cuticle Care Pen.

I use Orly's Ridgefiller as my basecoat and whatever polish I like at the moment - i love China Glaze most of all because it lasts the full week w/o wearing off too much. I absolutely love Rock Top Coat as well.

Using rubber gloves doing dishes and cleaning is important, and keeping a nail file on hand to catch any snags helps me too. My right thumbnail has a splitting problem from time to time so I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's well filed.

I think that's about it. Finding that picture of my nails taken last summer has motivated me to start taking care of them regularly again and grow them out for winter.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My nails grow naturally very square. I can grow them long, and many people will not believe they are real.

SquareNails.jpg

I haven't done since high school - I've just been chopping them off and painting them dark colours.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Inky said:
Hi LelaViavonie!

Yes, you do have to take good care of them - when mine were long like that I had to do a home manicure every week. I found that keeping my cuticles in good condition with oiling helps them grow. I also take a good amount of vitamins since my gastric bypass and it has also been since my surgery that my nails can grow that long. coincidence? probably not ;)

I use monoi or olive oil for my cuticles, a good hand moisturizer (I like Jack Black Industrial Hand Healer right now) and for convenience I like Sephora's Cuticle Care Pen.

I use Orly's Ridgefiller as my basecoat and whatever polish I like at the moment - i love China Glaze most of all because it lasts the full week w/o wearing off too much. I absolutely love Rock Top Coat as well.

Using rubber gloves doing dishes and cleaning is important, and keeping a nail file on hand to catch any snags helps me too. My right thumbnail has a splitting problem from time to time so I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's well filed.

I think that's about it. Finding that picture of my nails taken last summer has motivated me to start taking care of them regularly again and grow them out for winter.

Thank you sooo much for the wonderful tips!
I normally give myself a manicure once a week but latley I have been waaaay to busy.. so I am absolutley going to have to get on the ball with that.
I remember you mentioning a cuticle pen in the vintage manicure thread and since then.. I have one in my purse , one at home.. and one in my purse.

In that picutre.. did you paint your nails? or did you have someone paint them for you.. I LOVE the way they look!

YAY for long nails~!

Inky

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
Thank you sooo much for the wonderful tips!
I normally give myself a manicure once a week but latley I have been waaaay to busy.. so I am absolutley going to have to get on the ball with that.
I remember you mentioning a cuticle pen in the vintage manicure thread and since then.. I have one in my purse , one at home.. and one in my purse.

In that picutre.. did you paint your nails? or did you have someone paint them for you.. I LOVE the way they look!

YAY for long nails~!

I am glad you found the tips useful - mostly I think it's just keeping at taking care of them that helps the most. i am glad you like that Sephora cuticle pen - i have mine at my desk and use it at least once a day - i love it for convenience.

To both Lela and C-dot - I painted them and thank you ;) I used the reinforcement circles that you use for 3-ring paper for the moon, those seem to work pretty well for me.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I prefer my nails relatively short, straight over but with rounded sides. They actually just turn rounded within a few days- week of having cut them straight over.:eusa_doh: I like them to just be a tiny tip longer than my fingers. Has nothing to do with any modern phenomenon. I'll always wear my nails this way. Used to have really long nails until I was about 22 when the oldest was born. My nails are very hard and I use a toe clipper. I never got the hang of nail scissors. My husband and sons don't have the hang of clippers but use nail scissors.lol They wear their nails shorter than mine though.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany