Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square toe oxfords: yey or nay?

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
While I agree with the general consensus against square toed shoes (I find those long ones with a narrow, thin toe especially hideous), there are some notable exceptions. Clarks Wallabees and harness motorcycle boots are among them (along with a pair of light brown driving moccasins I used to love).
I've recently stumbled upon a new old stock pair of black square toe oxfords from the 1970s. I am very tempted by their affordable price, and I like that the formality of the oxford construction is kind of offset by the squared shape.
By the way, they don't have a toecap, but rather a pair of parallel stitch lines where the toecap would end.
What's the loungers take on this?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
While I agree with the general consensus against square toed shoes (I find those long ones with a narrow, thin toe especially hideous), there are some notable exceptions. Clarks Wallabees and harness motorcycle boots are among them (along with a pair of light brown driving moccasins I used to love).
I've recently stumbled upon a new old stock pair of black square toe oxfords from the 1970s. I am very tempted by their affordable price, and I like that the formality of the oxford construction is kind of offset by the squared shape.
By the way, they don't have a toecap, but rather a pair of parallel stitch lines where the toecap would end.
What's the loungers take on this?
For some people, wearing a narrow or pointed toe shoe is a but painful. Comfort is always a factor anyone should use in making a choice on what shoes to wear.

One thing you should do in determining if you are to purchase, are they made of leather all the way? Soles, etc..? If they have a good year welt or no? Some shoes that are well made may not be a welted shoe, and thus you are not able to have them resoled. Also at times a well made vintage shoe (depending on what size you wear) can be more affordable then what some people think. I say the issue about sizes as just like hats...there are more plentiful sources for a smaller size vintage shoe than the larger sizes. Anything between a men's size 6 to about 10 seems to be abundant and the prices are normally a bit more easy on the wallet. Once you pass the size 10 barrier, prices seem to rise along with harder to find real decent vintage shoes.

Not sure how much I may have helped you, but check things before you purchase, ask many questions to any seller, ask for pictures of the soles and heels and inside of shoe and make sure they are quality leather. Treat you feet right!

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
I say the issue about sizes as just like hats...there are more plentiful sources for a smaller size vintage shoe than the larger sizes. Anything between a men's size 6 to about 10 seems to be abundant and the prices are normally a bit more easy on the wallet. Once you pass the size 10 barrier, prices seem to rise along with harder to find real decent vintage shoes.

Not sure how much I may have helped you, but check things before you purchase, ask many questions to any seller, ask for pictures of the soles and heels and inside of shoe and make sure they are quality leather. Treat you feet right!

Very true, I find that to be an issue with all vintage clothing in general, jackets, sweaters etc. I'm not sure if fabrics and leather shrink on their own over time, or maybe we are just bigger than our forefathers used to be...

As for asking questions and pictures, I did (being as I am overly picky, so much so that I've ended up on several ebay sellers' blacklists for asking "too many" questions), and the shoes seem to be really nice quality. No Goodyear welt though, as they are made in Italy (Blake stitched), but that doesn't bother me.

Price is 50€. I just need a little reassurance I'm not making a style faux pas LOL!

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Here is a pic.
79468927729646_zps3ua6atz7.jpg

Need feedback!

SkyTurtle

Familiar Face
Yep, I'd give them my vote. Not normally a fan of that particular style, but the fact that they're vintage NOS gives them a strong score in the uniqueness category. Not likely anyone's going to show up at a meeting wearing the same shoes!

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Those do look nice. Are the sole of the shoes leather?
Yes, the soles are leather, as well as the heels. Heels are tricky in my experience: oftentime they look like stacked leather, but are really wood or other hard material, covered on the sides with leather strips to make it look like stacked leather. After some time these strips peel off at the ends and start curling on themself; and it looks awful.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes, the soles are leather, as well as the heels. Heels are tricky in my experience: oftentime they look like stacked leather, but are really wood or other hard material, covered on the sides with leather strips to make it look like stacked leather. After some time these strips peel off at the ends and start curling on themself; and it looks awful.
If that is a concern, you can do a few things to protect the heels. Have some heel protectors installed, and if you buy some clear glue that will set up very hard, or find a store that sells craft supplies. A few thin coats of some hard set glue to seal the heels will help make them stay looking nice and new. If you are not comfortable trying to install an application of glue on them, put some clear wax polish on the outside surface of the heel and leave it sit over night, polish it with a white cotton clothe, and apply more letting it sit over night. A few times of doing that will give the heel area some extra protection.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
They look like the shoes we had to wear in Catholic school. I hated them and got in trouble for wearing my "featherweights."

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Probably more like the second. Every year a man would come around to the schools and hand out his catalogues of shoes that all looked the same. I doubt they were as nice as the ones in the photos. Man, we hated them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24