Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stafford JC Penney Brand ?

Sonero

Practically Family
I have been buying Stafford brand dress shirts for a few years now. The designs and colors blow me away.

Since then I have purchased Stafford underwear...also blown away by the quality of their white t's.

Then I got into their Sportcoats. They have a button issue on many of them. They make a great affordable sports jacket but they ruin some of them by button choices. Go for the plain button designs.

St. John's Bay polo shirts ( JC Penney house brand ?) on sale now are better or equal quality to current BrooksBrothers 346 and Golden Fleece models...just no logo. They go great with sport coats.

Lastly I was in desperate need of dress pants ( that I can use with my sport coats.) Many are machine washable and have a comfort waistband. I purchased 12 pair. They are fantastic.

Anyone else a Stafford fan here ?

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
Polo shirt with a coat? Is that a polo shirt like a tennis shirt? That seems like an awful combination to me.

Concerning the button issue, you can just clip the buttons off and sew better ones on.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I'm a thrift store shopper so I can't speak to the current product, but I'm a fan of their older sportcoats. Nice quality cloth and I believe they were still using canvas and making in the USA long after other brands were fusing and had moved production overseas. Plus I am very square shouldered and their cut seems to be much better suited (pun intended) to me than many other makers. I have read good things about their current production shirts, white goods and even shoes on other websites.

Michael

Edward

Bartender
Polo shirt with a coat? Is that a polo shirt like a tennis shirt? That seems like an awful combination to me.

Fairly common casualwear look as far back as the mid thirties, based on photos I've seen. Ran right up into the fifties. Its very much a casual look, but it can be great when done well, and with the right collar.

Concerning the button issue, you can just clip the buttons off and sew better ones on.

Unfortunately, it's something I've often had to contend with myself - seems particularly common on overcoats, for some reason. Quite often find myself resewing buttons on fairly new garments.

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
I just can't imagine not having shirt cuffs in my jacket sleeves. Well, I can imagine it, but it's a disturbing thought. The last time I wore a blazer with something short-sleeved under it, I was walking home from school sports day and wore my school blazer over my P.E. kit. Not a particularly dignified look.

All a matter of taste I'm sure.

Silverstreak

New in Town
I like Stafford, I have a pair of their brown Logan wingtips which always earn me compliments. I don't have any of their dress shirts or suits, but I have several of their ties and like them quite a bit.

Sonero

Practically Family
I like Stafford, I have a pair of their brown Logan wingtips which always earn me compliments. I don't have any of their dress shirts or suits, but I have several of their ties and like them quite a bit.

You are missing out on the dress shirts. Take a look at them next time you are in a JC Penney.

AttyOzzy

New in Town
I have been buying Stafford brand dress shirts for a few years now. The designs and colors blow me away.

Since then I have purchased Stafford underwear...also blown away by the quality of their white t's.

Then I got into their Sportcoats. They have a button issue on many of them. They make a great affordable sports jacket but they ruin some of them by button choices. Go for the plain button designs.

St. John's Bay polo shirts ( JC Penney house brand ?) on sale now are better or equal quality to current BrooksBrothers 346 and Golden Fleece models...just no logo. They go great with sport coats.

Lastly I was in desperate need of dress pants ( that I can use with my sport coats.) Many are machine washable and have a comfort waistband. I purchased 12 pair. They are fantastic.

Anyone else a Stafford fan here ?
I love Staffords dress shirts. They fit great and iron like a dream.

Their khakis have some nice heft to them as well - also iron great.

Nothing at all wrong with a JC Penny suit. I've owned many - but what I saved on price I made up for on tailoring - which is worth it in my mind.

I dont know if you have ever contemplated getting a custom suit - but upon taking my first plunge in doing so - I tried a Mens Warehouse. I couldnt find any doible breasted suits so I said the hell with it and had them make three (over the course of a year).

Rock on with that fashion sense!

Sonero

Practically Family
Was at JC Penney today and wanted to give members a heads up. Their St. Johns Bay LEGACY POLOS are on sale in the store for $11.99. I picked up a few last month for as low as $9.99 each. The color choices are amazing and so is the quality for the price asked.

St. Johns Bay is another JC Penney house brand.

I also recommend the SJB V neck sweaters. Color choices similar to Orvis although not for super cold climates. They work great under blazers.

I haven't worn any of my Brooks Brothers polos since I bought the St. Johns Bay.

Go now before they are gone.

* Also Stafford Corduroy Blazers are in which look great worn with polos. I prefer the Ralph Lauren ones but Stafford has unique colors.

Silverstreak

New in Town
Of interest to folks here.. JCPenney also still carries nice hats. They aren't full beaver/leather/lined monsters like people buy here, but they aren't the stingy brim crap sold at Kohls either. I have one of their St Johns Bay Panama hats, and a charcoal Stafford fedora. Been considering going back for a brown one. I will eventually upload pics.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
I think most of the suits and sportscoats in my closet right now are Stafford. I recently bought a very nice linen/cotton blend navy windowpane jacket to wear at a work/leisure event in England, and, considering that I flew in it and essentially lived in it for five days straight, it maintained wonderfully. If not for being forced to sleep on an airport floor in it at one point (don't ask) I don't think I'd have even needed it pressed when I got back to the states.

They really are great for a vintage/classy look on a budget, especially if you can find one of their outlet stores. Earlier this year I was able to get two blazers, two polo shirts, a pair of slacks, and a camp shirt for under $150. You. Cannot. Beat. That.

I just miss American Living. About six, eight years ago it was a sort of trad/Ivy league inspired line. Many of my nice shirts and some ties/accessories in college were all AL. Of particular value to me were their line of broadcloth contrast collar French cuff shirts. Unfortunately JC discontinued the line not that long after they introduced it for reasons I don't know. I'm fairly certain that it was really made by the same folks who do their Stafford stuff, so I'm hopeful they'll bring it back, but I'm not holding my breath.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
In recent years, I have gotten some spiffy stuff from JC Penney, including a Harris Tweed jacket, and a dark blue sportcoat with a rust windowpane pattern and corduroy trousers in almost the same rust color, to go with the jacket. It's a very vintage look, especially when I wear tan and white spectators with it. I was declared "best dressed" when I wore that combo to a jitterbug night. At the time, I couldn't dance worth beans, though. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner