Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starter hat

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I'm starting with a Jaxon if it ever gets here. There are cheaper hats, and there are more expensive hats.

What's affordable?

Depends on what you want. The Akubra Feds are very nice looking fedora hats with reasonable dimensions, not too big or small a brim. They also run in the $75-90 US range, depending on the Aussie dollar exchange. I have 2, a tawny fawn and light gray, very versatile
for casual or dress. The other option for limited bugdet is Ebay, but that can be hit and miss, depending on your head size and the reliability of the seller.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

If you ever MIGHT possibly MAYBE wear the hat in the rain, then don't buy a wool one. I own a wool What Price Glory Bush hat, soaked it and well, it doesn't keep the rain out of your eyes at all.

Mike

Mulceber

Practically Family
You might think about Matt Deckard's MD-1 (http://www.mattdeckard.com/ look under accessories). At $175 it's on the expensive side of affordable, but it's a very versatile hat that has the proper look for the golden era, if that's what you're into. Also, some of the Akubras are very good, if you're looking for something cheaper. -M

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Though you have not given the parameters you have for your "starter" fedora style of hat a few basics come to mind.
First - ONLY buy a fur felt hat. A wool based felt WILL NOT be as durable nor really give the "look" you probably want.
Second - be willing to spend at least $100.00 for a QUALITY hat. It will outlast you in all probability. ( Baring it does not get burned or stolen :) )
Third - Buy from one of the reputable manufacturers and buy NEW. There are several good retailers on the net that sell from these folks.
I'm partial to hats made by the Australian firm of Akubra and from those made locally by Peters Bros. here in Ft. Worth. (they also sell hats on-line).
Three models of Akubra's come to mind that you may want to look at, the Stylemaster, the Sydney and the Squatter. ALL good , well made all fur felt Fedora's within a reasonable price for what they are :) Settle in for what you are looking for then take some time to look at what is available. Happy hunting :)

MCrider

A-List Customer
I've gotta agree with monbla256 on this one. If you're looking for a good quality hat at a
reasonable price, an Akubra is a good place to start. I have the Squatter (with 3 " brim cut back by half an inch), a Sydney (a nice lightweight hat) and a Fed IV thats seen a few rain/snow storms in its time with me. I'm waiting for a Stylemaster to show up in the next week or two. But regardless, they are all well made hats. If you're hesitant to order from Australia, David Morgan is here in the States and are very good to deal with. My first Sydney was too small so I sent it back and 3 days later its replacement was on my doorstep. Good luck with whatever hat you decide on!

RockyNomad

Familiar Face
I'm in the exact same boat of looking for my first fedora. I'm would like to stay around $100 and was considering the Akubra Campdraft based on reviews. But, I'm not seeing anyone suggest it here. Is there something about it which would eliminate it from the starter category?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It would be an excellent "starter" hat, but it is not a true Fedora and that was what was asked about :) Before it became the Campdraft it was the Stetson Open Road as made by Akubra under license to Stetson in Australia decades ago. As such it would be considered a consevatively styled Western hat and has been sold by Stetson as such for years. Many owners here crease it in a Fedora style and some consider it a "thin ribbon" fedora. All in all an excelent hat. :)

theinterchange

One Too Many
I'm in the exact same boat of looking for my first fedora. I'm would like to stay around $100 and was considering the Akubra Campdraft based on reviews. But, I'm not seeing anyone suggest it here. Is there something about it which would eliminate it from the starter category?

One thing to keep in mind about the Campdraft is that it's on the large size, so it may be intimidating to those just getting into hats. I personally found it a hat I had to "work my way into". But, if you're comfortable with a wide brimmed hat, it'd be a great starter... easy to shape and looks great!

Randy

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It would be an excellent "starter" hat, but it is not a true Fedora and that was what was asked about :) Before it became the Campdraft it was the Stetson Open Road as made by Akubra under license to Stetson in Australia decades ago. As such it would be considered a consevatively styled Western hat and has been sold by Stetson as such for years. Many owners here crease it in a Fedora style and some consider it a "thin ribbon" fedora. All in all an excelent hat. :)

I would definitely say it is a fedora, but it is western.

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Yes I highly recommend the Campdraft! It depends though what your lifestyle is I suppose. Or what you want it to be.

You can't go wrong with any of the Akubras I don't think, they are really tough and look great. Now pick your style!

danofarlington

My starter fedora was an Open Road, bought at a flea market. It just clicked with me. I had it creased in fedora style, and it looked great, I thought. The success of that one launched many other purchases, now that I'm comfortable with the fedora look. A Campdraft should be about the same, only I don't have one yet. I didn't know the part about Open Road being considered a conservatively styled Western hat, but it makes sense. Anyway Open Road is a butt-kickin hat.

carldelo

One Too Many
A few suggestions for classically-shaped teardrop lids with moderate brim and crown dimensions, good for easing into hat wearing:

Various Royal Stetsons, like the Downs or Ashland: http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=253&subcname=Stetson

Jaxon Bogart in gray: http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_bogart_fedora.html

Akubra Stylemaster: http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=535

These are fur felts of varying price - I wouldn't waste money on a wool lid, they don't last long. If you have any flea markets around, it's worth a field trip to see if you can pick up something on the cheap.

Neophyte

I didn't know the part about Open Road being considered a conservatively styled Western hat, but it makes sense. Anyway Open Road is a butt-kickin hat.

I've read similar statements from the Lounge, the internet, and custom hatters alike that the Open Road was considered "the hat for the gentleman cowboy." Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've read similar statements from the Lounge, the internet, and custom hatters alike that the Open Road was considered "the hat for the gentleman cowboy." Don't know if it's true, but it makes sense to me.

According to the history of Peters Bros. in Ft. Worth, Stetson copied a hat Tom Peters had made for Ft. Worth oilman Amon Carter which was called the Shady Oaks in the mid to late 30's which looked like this :

DCP_0027A31.gif

portrait_late1.jpg

Amon Carter 1940

and they still make it today. Carters hat had a non-bound brim and it was about a 1/4" taller in the crown and about 1/4" wider brim. That's the story as I was told for years now. Started as a western hat and still is :)

Last edited:

RockyNomad

Familiar Face

Ohhhhh....I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for more fedora suggestions.

carldelo

One Too Many
Ohhhhh....I had no idea. Thanks for the info. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for more fedora suggestions.

I have to disagree with monbla256. There's no reason to say the Camp Draft is not a 'true fedora'. It's an open-crown, formable felt hat with a bound brim and a thin ribbon - that makes it a fedora, regardless of the history of the OR as a western hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic