Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

steaming a hat

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Charlie,
This how I do all my hats, with a tea kettle on my gas range....only way I know how actualy, I don't think you'll have any problems.....give it a try. Good Luck.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I have steamed dozens of hats straw and fur. I always use a sauce pan filled half way with water. Put foil over whole top but leave an opening on one part to let steam out. Boil water until it steams and cut the flame down a little. Steam the brim or crown and shape to your liking. Let it cool of and that's it. I never have liked any hats that hat shops steam for me.

I have steamed dozens of hats straw and fur. I always use a sauce pan filled half way with water. Put foil over whole top but leave an opening on one part to let steam out. Boil water until it steams and cut the flame down a little. Steam the brim or crown and shape to your liking. Let it cool of and that's it. I never have liked any hats that hat shops steam for me.

I just say something to make my wife mad and hold the hat next to her ear.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Jiffy Steamer thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/jiffy-hat-steamer.4243/page-4

i-qwFQvPK-M.jpg

psklenar

One of the Regulars
I'll be attempting my first steaming effort this weekend ... how wet should I be letting the felt get as I steam it? Watching video's, it looks like I just pass the area of interest thru the steam a few times and proceed to work on it, but then I saw a couple of videos where the hatter doing it actually talk about "soaking the felt"!? :eek:

So ... how wet do I let it get before/while I'm trying to shape my hat? :confused:

Thank you,
pat----

I'll be attempting my first steaming effort this weekend ... how wet should I be letting the felt get as I steam it? Watching video's, it looks like I just pass the area of interest thru the steam a few times and proceed to work on it, but then I saw a couple of videos where the hatter doing it actually talk about "soaking the felt"!? :eek:

So ... how wet do I let it get before/while I'm trying to shape my hat? :confused:

Thank you,
pat----
With just a few minutes experience you'll learn to feel the felt "relax".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo