Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steampunk, Dieselpunk, etc.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
There was a discussion of this in the Powder Room. I had never heard the term before this. I've been visiting lots of sites on Steampunk since--I'm really intrigued by the style (I especially want a pair of brass goggles!).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like the look, its sort of a playful Victorian/mad scientist thing, 1880s-futuristic. I have to still put together a wardrobe for it, though.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I worked in the Anime industry for a while, and there are quite a few Steampunk series and Manga tie-ins.

I'm more a fan of Dieselpunk myself. Same basic idea but instead of modern style technology existing during the Victorian Era it's in the 20's and 30's.

Mike K.

One Too Many
I never heard of the term until I read this thread. Now that I know what steampunk is, I can think of several movies where it's prevalent.
A quick Google search yielded this really cool gadget. It's a steampunk computer keyboard...and I really want one!!

Kb41.jpg
Kb45.jpg

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
That too, although the DeLorean could've almost qualified IMO as a "modern version" thereof...

But maybe it's just 'cause I'm so biased about the DeLorean and the "doctored" version in particular... (but "Mr. Fusion" was just ugly)

I think LD is referring to the very last scene were Doc Brown comes back in the train, now that's Steampunk.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Mike K.
A quick Google search yielded this really cool gadget. It's a steampunk computer keyboard...and I really want one!!

Mike, That's VERRRY COOOL. Please post the link! :)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Ahh, I'm so happy about this thread! I was considering starting a conversation about steampunk, but I wasn't sure how many people are familiar with it. Brilliant!

I'm mad about steampunk, especially the fashion movement behind it...but I don't have any accoutrements that fall into the genre...yet. It's a fabulous culture, though! I love the comics.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Love that keyboard! Would like to see someone come up with a laptop that resembles an old portable typewriter.

My son watches those anime films. His favorite of the steampunk design has been SteamBoy. I sat and watched it with him. It was pretty good actually and didn't look like any cartoon I've ever seen before. Lots of Victorian clothing and architecture ... intermingled with primitive robots and weapons machinery.

Richard

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I watched "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" recently, only because I had seen it mentioned here a couple of times. I found myself violently oscillating between "This is idiotic", "Yeah, but it's cool and fun", and "Yeah, but it could have been so much cooler." Creating a steampunk wardrobe would certainly provide me with an excuse to wear my black felt top hat, which I've only worn once, playing Mayor Shinn in Music Man. Plus my new black Inverness cape would go nicely, too. But I'd have to have a trick cane or umbrella, that does some clever impossible thing when I press a button.
If you're fairly familiar with the Victorian Age, this kind of thing could get the imaginative juices really flowing. Hmmmm . . . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner