Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STEP BY STEP NAPTHA BATH

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Great job on the hat, moon! Looks a heck of a lot better!
I've done several naptha baths with only one negative effect, a tip patch fade. Water-washed a few too, naptha wouldn't touch the old sweat-dirt ring on the brim of my well-loved OR but Woolite in warm water got most of it out.
I have thought about using gasoline as a dry cleaning agent, as I have read about it somewhere around here in a link to an old book, but I wonder about the additives that are in gas now that weren't back in the old days. Not just if they would ruin felt or leather, but also the lingering chemicals that might not evaporate with the fuel. Anyone here ever try it?

25B

Suspended
Ok, well I've read through every page of this thread (and several others on using Naptha to clean hats)...and I've recently acquired a nice, early, 7X clear beaver OR hat. It will likely need cleaning when it gets here judging by the pics I saw before buying it.

I *was* considering using the Coleman White Gas to do so, but read earlier in this thread that it might be best to consider outsourcing this task to a professional. Well, I called a local "professional" hatter (they make their own hats) and first off, it took a few tries before I could get them to tell me how they would clean the hat if I took it to them. Finally got someone else on the phone and he eventually admitted they clean them in naptha. He insisted that the sweatband would have to be replaced because cleaning it that way would (absolutely, 100% guaranteed) destroy it...and (he) would know because (they've) been cleaning hats for 35 years. But then again, he also told me used hats have pretty much zero value...lol

In any case, I've determined that they are not going to receive my business.

I've read others recommending various competent, professional hatters that can clean this hat. If anyone has any recommendations in particular from first-hand experience, I would appreciate if you could message me with your recommendations and experiences with them. I was keen to try cleaning it myself at first, but after reading the strong suggestion from knowledgeable people to send out 7X CB to professionals, I think I am going to heed that advice.

Thank you for any recommendations...please feel free to message me (if I can receive PM's yet? Hopefully?)

Great job on the hat, moon! Looks a heck of a lot better!
I've done several naptha baths with only one negative effect, a tip patch fade. Water-washed a few too, naptha wouldn't touch the old sweat-dirt ring on the brim of my well-loved OR but Woolite in warm water got most of it out.
I have thought about using gasoline as a dry cleaning agent, as I have read about it somewhere around here in a link to an old book, but I wonder about the additives that are in gas now that weren't back in the old days. Not just if they would ruin felt or leather, but also the lingering chemicals that might not evaporate with the fuel. Anyone here ever try it?

Don't. Gasoline has all sorts of crap in it. Coleman fuel is what you want.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Ok, well I've read through every page of this thread (and several others on using Naptha to clean hats)...and I've recently acquired a nice, early, 7X clear beaver OR hat. It will likely need cleaning when it gets here judging by the pics I saw before buying it.

I *was* considering using the Coleman White Gas to do so, but read earlier in this thread that it might be best to consider outsourcing this task to a professional. Well, I called a local "professional" hatter (they make their own hats) and first off, it took a few tries before I could get them to tell me how they would clean the hat if I took it to them. Finally got someone else on the phone and he eventually admitted they clean them in naptha. He insisted that the sweatband would have to be replaced because cleaning it that way would (absolutely, 100% guaranteed) destroy it...and (he) would know because (they've) been cleaning hats for 35 years. But then again, he also told me used hats have pretty much zero value...lol

I've read others recommending various competent, professional hatters that can clean this hat. If anyone has any recommendations in particular from first-hand experience, I would appreciate if you could message me with your recommendations and experiences with them. I was keen to try cleaning it myself at first, but after reading the strong suggestion from knowledgeable people to send out 7X CB to professionals, I think I am going to heed that advice.

Thank you for any recommendations...please feel free to message me (if I can receive PM's yet? Hopefully?)

While a competent hatter that offers this service can provide good results, there are few pitfalls in doing it yourself. Coleman fuel is cheap and plentiful. I have cleaned numerous hats this way and, like others, the worst experience I've had is washing out the liner tip on one hat.

Your 7X should be tough as nails. If your sweat is in good shape (soft and pliable) it should show no ill effects. The naphtha will not hurt the felt.

Anthony's hat is likely much older than your recent purchase and look at his results.

This is basically dry cleaning. In fact dry cleaners use to regularly offer this service, using the same stuff they use on your suits and shirts.

If you're more comfortable sending it out, by all means do. But several on here have bathed many hats and had uniformly good results.

What Fruno said! All who have tried this were first timers at one point with most not having seen it done first hand, myself included. I've now done it 6 or more times with good to excellent results every time. It amazed me when a $10.00 price sticker from a 60 a 70 year old hat remained intact and attached after cleaning.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
While a competent hatter that offers this service can provide good results, there are few pitfalls in doing it yourself. Coleman fuel is cheap and plentiful. I have cleaned numerous hats this way and, like others, the worst experience I've had is washing out the liner tip on one hat.

Your 7X should be tough as nails. If your sweat is in good shape (soft and pliable) it should show no ill effects. The naphtha will not hurt the felt.

Anthony's hat is likely much older than your recent purchase and look at his results.

This is basically dry cleaning. In fact dry cleaners use to regularly offer this service, using the same stuff they use on your suits and shirts.

If you're more comfortable sending it out, by all means do. But several on here have bathed many hats and had uniformly good results.

in 100% agreement

I had never done this before and took my maiden voyage with a hat from the 1930s ... I literally dropped it in the fuel ... agitated the container every couple hours ... took it out with a pair of grill tongs and hung it on a cymbal stand

thats it ...

the thing looks amazing

you do not have to be a professional hatter to do any of that ...

trust me .. .this is not something you need a professional for

all you need is a container ... some camp fuel ... a hat that needs cleaning .. and some common sense ...

literally that is it

Last edited:

25B

Suspended
Ok, well I shall take your esteemed and respected advice under due consideration and will give strong thought to going ahead and attempting cleaning it myself.

This is the post I was referring to in my previous post...(emphasis mine...)
My advice is to avoid this route altogether. Be selective and buy hats that are intact and clean and learn how to steam and crease them to restore their shape and style. Hats in good condition will be more expensive than those that are soiled and damaged. But you will buy fewer of the better and in the end, the cost will be equal. Certain special felts - velours and older clear beaver felts, for example - are very difficult if not impossible to recreate today and are worth the cost of restoration at a custom hatter.

So...I was taking his advice into consideration too. :)

Anyway, if anyone can recommend a professional cleaner in the Southern US, I will consider that too. I think I'd read of at least one person recommended in this thread that is in the south, but it did not have his full name or contact information...so I'd still appreciate his info if someone might kindly inform me...

But, the more I read in these threads and the encouragement from those of you that have done this before, I am going to give serious thought to doing it myself. I'd just be quite heartbroken if I messed up this hat...that's why I'm apprehensive. :(

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ok, well I shall take your esteemed and respected advice under due consideration and will give strong thought to going ahead and attempting cleaning it myself.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend a professional cleaner in the Southern US, I will consider that too. I think I'd read of at least one person recommended in this thread that is in the south, but it did not have his full name or contact information...so I'd still appreciate his info if someone might kindly inform me...

But, the more I read in these threads and the encouragement from those of you that have done this before, I am going to give serious thought to doing it myself. I'd just be quite heartbroken if I messed up this hat...that's why I'm apprehensive. :(
Alan always gives sage advice

but honestly there is nothing a hatter would do that you couldn't do yourself

you either buy a few $10 gallons of fuel and drop the hat in ... or pay a hatter to drop your hat in a couple $10 gallons of fuel

I am a hat wearer and vintage hat collector ... by no means am I a hatter ... and i just bathed a 1930s No.1 Quality Stetson with wonderful results having never done it before

Karl @KarlCrow , I think paraffin is kerosine . Naptha is Coleman Fuel , and I think dry cleaners use something just like it . Dry-cleaning suppliers I imagine sell it . Better triple check before trying .
Another name for it is "white gas". I bought mine in a camping supply store, Coleman brand. Pretty standard in these parts.

...but read earlier in this thread that it might be best to consider outsourcing this task to a professional.
If it was me you were referring to my point to Karl was that if you only have one hat to do, by the time you buy a couple of gallons of fuel, a container of some sort, etc for PROBABLY just a few bucks more you could have your hat dry cleaned IF you could find a dry cleaner who still cleans hats. Since I have occasion to do Western hats as well my container is/was a new Rubbermaid trash container at the time, due to the diameter of a western hat & therefore requires more than a couple of gallons of fuel. And I don't particularly like straining & filtering the fuel back into the can, & storing or disposing of it once it gets too dirty to be used again. But that's just me. I do plan on doing two hats soon.

You, can think about, reusing fuel, especially on dark. Use it for a first cleaning. I have a post on here way back, where I showed a hat cleaning process, with white fuel. Be careful with plastic containers, do it far from the house, 2 or 3 gallons of fuel that breaks free of that plastic, due to fire, will end the game, quicky. IMHO and for what it's worth. Oh, Lowe's sells both white fuel and Naptha, here. Reuse where you can, I just funnel it back into a, metal container, the solids, they sink and stay. I lose about a pint each time. Be safe out there. Look up a thread I did, back in 2011...?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
so I attempted my first bath on Sunday ... I must admit that I am more than pleased with the result

I bathed my 1930s Stetson No.1 Quality that had some pretty deeply soiled areas due to hard wear in its time.

I first treated the heavily soiled areas with a white vinegar solution then dropped the hat in the bath for about 8 hours agitating it every 2 hours or so ... then simply hung it to dry

I treated the sweat with leather conditioner before and after ... I see no ill affects

The before shots
4cb42ffed70f58395a8e4dcb41268147.jpg

5a86656750161fd4635bf8ed50df7595.jpg

68e04ae3300833c15b13720afd39b748.jpg

5a6f4a01eff30a9682698fb59b6e0e16.jpg

after treating with the vinegar solution and bathing

fdecb16ca75539f4b8b6bcbea25d32d1.jpg

1e4bb68f75c58bdd4411d07423b480f2.jpg

06b3fceda1abb3475c08b7ae3271b8a6.jpg

some heavy rain was predicted so I tented the situation :)

2cfc5b3c2adef8b4a46fb9d81d1e9ffc.jpg

the result

cb3d436f1fcd7d85b5b192dcc7e06ba7.jpg

6dbf7340506ae981c59d6f20bc73dbb2.jpg

77994dc88d90c0e2b2d7ce5e96262704.jpg

The hat looks fantastic... better than the photos show .

I was hesitant to try this at first and admittedly skeptical of what the result would be ... sure glad I did it

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator
How awesome! That is such a beautiful hat and now it shines even more!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

I wasn't able to leave you a PM yet. I have used Bob Jesse to clean up a 50s Royal Stetson for me, and Mike Miller to clean up and convert an old Stratton western to a more usable outback style hat and both did a great job and did so very rea$onably.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'm getting ready to drop an old Champ into the naptha bath, but I pulled out the taped-in liner and soaked it in oxyclean, a little laundry soap and white vinegar. It lessened the staining a little... I also took a tooth brush and scrubbed a bunch of stains on the crown of the hat, and it really did a pretty good job of getting rid of the stains. I posted pics in the Champ thread and I'll take more pics tomorrow of the effects of the vinegar brushing.

If it's cooler in the morning, I'll get out the Coleman white gas/camp stove fuel and see how much more it might clean this one up.

What I found interesting back, when I was cleaning old felt, was the fact, that you can soak, the entire hat, sweat band, liner, the entire hat. I only did like 15 hats over time, but never lost one, due to the bath. Plastic liner tip covers made it through, and I had not seen any loss, in cresting detail. Even more amazing, on the right day, that hat when taken out, of the bath, will evaporate so fast, you will see it dry in no time. Wear the hat, hours later. I just for some reason worry about, plastic containers, fumes, a stray or static spark. Freak accident. And not saying this to be a dick, but definitely be straight when you do it, not having a good ole' time, keep your face away from the bucket. Ain't a Damm thing in there that requires your face, inches away from disaster. Safe cleaning everyone. Recycle your products, they are good for several uses. Save your white fuel cans, mark them used: dark, used light etc. Reuse and save some money. I find, I need 3 gallons, to cover a hat. That isn't cheap. And you can apply a brush, to help move a stain, and break it down, but start with a true beater, for that experience. Not here, but elsewhere, I witnessed a cleaning and the stiff bristle brush worked. An older hat brush just might work, if not very soiled. It won't work every time, because some stuff, just won't come out, but perhaps only minimize. Cleaned safely and far enough away from things of value. A note on liner cleaning. I used spot remover and cold water soaked, hand washed gently, it DID, screw up my tip, on what was a old beater the crest faded, notibly, faded.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

My advice was meant more as hat buying advice than hat restoration advice. I know that many here use the chemical bath with good results. Most of us accumulate tools to work on our vintage purchases. I used chemicals quite a bit in my earlier life and prefer to keep them at a distance whenever possible now. I am fortunate (or unfortunate) to wear a size in which vintage stock is plentiful. Limiting my purchases by condition is good for my hat diet. If your new 7X is the 7 1/8 long oval recently sold, it might arrive in better shape than you expect. Hope that is the case and hope you enjoy it!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21