Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 100 Box inserts

buler

I'll Lock Up
Some of you may have seen my ongoing project in the ask a question thread, but I'm separating it out. The leather Stetson 100 boxes came with 2 plastic inserts that criss-crossed to hold the hat. Some of these are now missing or broken for those of you who have one of these boxes.

One of the loungers needed some so I decided to try to make them. I managed to source some clear acrylic to the exact width and thickness as the originals. Then I tried to bend the plastic. First I tried to do it with my mind, but just ruined all the spoons in the house and killed a couple of goats...:eusa_doh: I eventually came up with a way to bend the plastic but doing it "freehand" was not so easy.

Finally I came up with a simple jig to use and the results are much better than my earlier efforts. So I have enough material to make around 10 sets. I have no idea if there is anyone else who will want some but I'm offering them (see classifieds) up. I'm not trying to make a killing on these, (if you knew how much time I've spent on this), just trying to recoup my materials cost.

These are not exact reproductions. They are very close. The originals have a rounded end that I'm still trying to copy, but it hasn't been easy. I also won't be putting the "hump" in the middle of the piece that lays over the other. Its really not necessary and I'm not sure how I'd do it.

B

Original inserts:
hundred_7.jpg

On the jig:

inserts_jig.jpg

End result:
inserts_1.jpg

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
sorry to hear about the goats! That is really quite inventive though, this is what I love about this Lounge, so many people willing to roll their sleeves up and fix it/make it themselves. I recently made a stop at the local hat shop here in town, they've been there 40 years or more, asked about a sweatband repair and he told me he couldn't fix it and.....he didn't know of anyone that could. That blew my mind!!! How do you run a hat shop for 40 years and not know anything about....Hats!!
Anyway...I just wanted to say that I love the creativity here! Thanks

Canadian Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Some of you may have seen my ongoing project in the ask a question thread, but I'm separating it out. The leather Stetson 100 boxes came with 2 plastic inserts that criss-crossed to hold the hat. Some of these are now missing or broken for those of you who have one of these boxes.

One of the loungers needed some so I decided to try to make them. I managed to source some clear acrylic to the exact width and thickness as the originals. Then I tried to bend the plastic. First I tried to do it with my mind, but just ruined all the spoons in the house and killed a couple of goats...:eusa_doh: I eventually came up with a way to bend the plastic but doing it "freehand" was not so easy.

Finally I came up with a simple jig to use and the results are much better than my earlier efforts. So I have enough material to make around 10 sets. I have no idea if there is anyone else who will want some but I'm offering them (see classifieds) up. I'm not trying to make a killing on these, (if you knew how much time I've spent on this), just trying to recoup my materials cost.

These are not exact reproductions. They are very close. The originals have a rounded end that I'm still trying to copy, but it hasn't been easy. I also won't be putting the "hump" in the middle of the piece that lays over the other. Its really not necessary and I'm not sure how I'd do it.

B

Original inserts:
hundred_7.jpg

On the jig:

inserts_jig.jpg

End result:
inserts_1.jpg

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
CC

DJ Wilson

New in Town
I recently acquired a Stetson 100 with the leather suitcase style box but I don't have inserts. Any available? Should have it cleaned and blocked as well. Any recommendations. I'll have to admit it's not my size but I think I made a decent purchase.

buler

I'll Lock Up
DJ, I don't have any available at this time. But I plan on making a few more in the near future.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner