Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson 100 Mint w/Tan Presentation Case

carter

I'll Lock Up
Now this is interesting!

Just to expand the parameters of this discussion a bit. I have a 5X Clear Beaver that is in wonderful condition and, while supple, is not as supple as some other Stetsons in my collection. Can we get a comparison of the 5X CB, the 7X CB, and the Stetson 100?

(I won't even throw Clear Nutria into this discussion.)

Justdog

Practically Family
7X

jimmy the lid said:
Not true. The 7X is quite pliable.

Cheers,
JtL

Mine is in a western block so is stiffly blocked but the surface felt is just sooo soft. I have also seen a few 100,s on here that dont appear to be as stiffly blocked as my 100. Only going by the one I have of course.

Justdog

Practically Family
Clear

carter said:
Just to expand the parameters of this discussion a bit. I have a 5X Clear Beaver that is in wonderful condition and, while supple, is not as supple as some other Stetsons in my collection. Can we get a comparison of the 5X CB, the 7X CB, and the Stetson 100?

I feel the felt on the 7X and 100 every day and my tactile experience is deepening in respect to the quality of the felts. It obviously takes years to determine the differences but thus far my 7x may have a slight edge on the 100 to the touch but it is very close. I have a couple of different Stetsons now and the quality is just there. At my hatter I feel the Borsalinos but as Matt Deckard posted in a thread of the worlds best felt I have to agree with his evaluation. I find the softness nice but not substantial like the vintage felts, yes even the soft Nutria Quality I have. It is an art that is going to take some time to develop. Hope this is not too far off topic from is a 100 Beaver or not.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carter said:

Before this thread gets lost in the shuffle, I thought I'd revisit this point. First, does anyone know if the 5X Clear Beaver was in production at the same time as the 7X Clear Beaver -- or, was it, at one point in time, the top of the line (i.e., before the 7X was offered). I ask this because, if "Clear Beaver" denotes a pure beaver lid -- then what would have been the difference between a 5X vs. a 7X designation? Hope this question is "clear." ;)

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
Does this help

The tags below the sweatband on my 5X CB read:
E356900
7 1/2, Block 52, Depth 6
Made Under Hat Industry Code Authority 484367

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Stetson 100's were mostly made during the 1950's until the mid 1960's. As time went by, the linnings were made cheaper and had less color in them.
I have a Stetson catalog somewhere in my colllection from the early 1950's that mentions the 5x, 7x, royal quality and nutria.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
A Most Remarkable Hat...

Being one of those people that spent a small fortune on a STETSON "100" without the case, I can say that it was worth every dollar.

PICT0103crop.jpg

see thread below for more pictures and details.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=35385

I also own a "soft" 7X and a stiff western 7X , so the stiffness question is dependent on the style not the felt.

Mar01.jpg

Soft 7X

Now back to the Orginal Question, If you can afford it and you like the style, Buy It !!!:D :D
Even in a 7 1/4 they are rare....And you will never find a better Quality Hat.

jpdesign

Vendor
I have one or two stetson 100 go through my hands a year. I pick them up in antique stores and renovate them. I make them into something I want to were and then someone ends up buying them off my head. I usually sell them for between $150 and $300.

Jimmy

Justdog

Practically Family

tinmanzzz said:
Being one of those people that spent a small fortune on a STETSON "100" without the case, I can say that it was worth every dollar.

PICT0103crop.jpg

I also own a "soft" 7X and a stiff western 7X , so the stiffness question is dependent on the style not the felt.

Mar01.jpg

Soft 7X

Now back to the Orginal Question, If you can afford it and you like the style, Buy It !!!:D :D
:eusa_clap

metropd

One Too Many
tinmanzzz said:

PICT0103crop.jpg

Mar01.jpg

Soft 7X

Not only is the hat a masterpiece but it frames your face impeccably. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Thank You..

metropd said:
Not only is the hat a masterpiece but it frames your face impeccably. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank You. I wore it last night to a local Horse Show. It was nice knowing you have the Best Hat at the Show ;) ;)

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
tinmanzzz said:

The one 7X I have handled was so stiff I returned it (not to mention all the stains that the seller didn't describe, along with the replaced sweatband)...but it had a cattleman crease in it and seemed conceived as a Western hat. That might support this "style" difference in the felts...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
The 100 is a better hat, but personally I prefer the characteristics of the 7x over it.

I'm with Dman here. I don't own a 100; but I have handled a couple. I too actually prefer the 7X over the 100. At least this holds true for the one's that I've handled myself.

This is an example of the kind of thing that I'm always saying with regard to "ranking" felt and to hat quality generally. Just because something is (or was) more expensive, it doesn't necessarily follow that it's better or higher quality.

A real person (you) should be the final judge - not marketing executives (or anyone else for that matter).

PS per Lefty above - I didn't know that 7X and 7X Clear Beaver weren't the same thing! Mine say Clear Beaver and that's all I've handled. Interesting -

Justdog

Practically Family
Your hunerd

Michaelshane said:
I like that brown case better than mine,want to trade?;)

P1040268.jpg
[/IMG]

I love your hat:eusa_clap
Is that soft and pliable? Mine is custom blocked not particularly pliable but a masterpiece of workmanship. Brim flange is uniform all around and opens up the wearers face. A perfect brim flange. That topic was on a different thread and is very applicable to my hat. Nice to have a case of any kind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner