Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stetson 3x felt

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I had assumed, wrongly I suppose, that 3x was the low grade felt (or finish). This Open Road has proved me wrong. It's really nice stuff! I think this is now my softest hat, or close to it.

jt_stetson3x_01.jpg

jt_stetson3x_02.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I completely aggree. 3X stetsons have very very nice felt.
The X system is so screwed up. Completely meaningless, at least at this point. At least it made some sense back then, with 3X being good, and 10 X being the best you can possibly get. Now, there's no limit, is there. You can just have as many Xs as you feel like.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Joel, The Stetson 3Xs are some of my favorite hats. A great felt soft to the touch but it has enough stiffness to be substancial. Congrats:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

deanglen

AlanC said:
It looks great!

Deanglen, is the one you're wearing in your Open Road Guild thread picture?

Yes, and no. Optimo has clearly glorified that hat beyond the kitchen steam kettle treatment I gave it when I got it from RBH. It's a whole new hat as far as I am concerned. Isn't it beautiful? It's like seeing your kid graduate.:)

dean

AlanC

deanglen said:
Yes, and no. Optimo has clearly glorified that hat beyond the kitchen steam kettle treatment I gave it when I got it from RBH. It's a whole new hat as far as I am concerned. Isn't it beautiful? It's like seeing your kid graduate.:)

If it only had a campaign bash...

:D

Pilgrim

One Too Many
aliados said:
NICE hat! I think the "3X" quality depends upon WHEN it was so rated. I had a 3X fedora form the 40s or fifties that was terrific, but a more recent Open Road that felt like flock-covered cardboard!

I tend to agree. I have some older Stetsons that show XXX on the sweatband, but they are very nice soft felt. Seems like Joel got one of the older, nicer ones. Congrats!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very nice indeed Joel. I like it! The lighting and the room in the photo give it a very warm golden color. Is that it's actual color or is it more of a tan or grey?
Congratulations!

Cheers!

Dan

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Thanks guys.

Dan - the brim in the 2nd picture is pretty close to the real color - a light sand color. Typical of all the vintage OR's I've seen in person. Digital cameras can't ever seem to get color balance correct.

I think this hat is from the early 60's or so.

Joel

AlanC

Deanglen, with how good that hat looked on you I can't believe you let it go. Of course, Joel's glad you did! I PM'd Dean awhile back telling him how it was that picture that really sold me on the OR look. I about fell over when he told me he'd gotten rid of it. You've got to get another OR, Dean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou