Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson open road "almost"

Rooster

Practically Family
Got this off the bay for $10:D
rwest1.jpg
[/IMG]
rwest2.jpg
[/IMG]
rwest3.jpg
[/IMG]
rwest4.jpg
[/IMG]
rwest5.jpg
[/IMG]
rwest6.jpg
[/IMG]
I'd swear it's an open roads, but it's marked "Western Royal". Same thing only different? 2 1/2" brim. It's a wee bit big on me, but I'll stuff the hat band a bit and it should be fine. It's gonna need a cleaning, so I'll do a search here and see how that's done.
Hey, what's up with that wind cord thingy? Are you supposed to attatch it to your gold hoop ear ring or what?

Very good, Rooster. On first seeing that hat I was gonna ask if you planned on cleaning it or just wearing it with old jeans and such, but then I read a little further and see that you're considering sprucing it up some.
For all intents and purposes, it IS an Open Road, but it being called something else makes it a bit more special. (I happen to have an OR that doesn't say it's an OR. It's a Stetson No Name, as far as I can tell.)
It's at least kinda "vintage," I'd guess. It's been quite a spell since Stetson put wind strings on ORs, right? (JP?) And that lining and sweatband (and the lettering on the sweatband) say early- to mid-1960s to me. But keep in mind that that estimate is worth about what it cost.

S

Samsa

John in Covina said:
Wind Trolley, that is one of the names of the cord which i believe gets attached to your suit jacket some how. to the button or button hole or something.

I believe it is attached to the button-hole in the lapel.

Rooster

Practically Family
GentlemanFarmer said:
I forgot to add that the way you're wear yours is the way I prefer mine, rear brim up and front brim snapped down. Looks good on you.
Truman and LBJ worn this style of hat with the brim up. They may have looked OK that way, but I look like I just rolled off the turnip truck when I wear it with the brim up!
I think I'm going to send it to Optimo to have them clean it. It's really in pretty good shape other than being sweat stained and dirty.

Rooster said:
I look like I just rolled off the turnip truck when I wear it with the brim up!

I used to think the same about myself -- that brim turned up all around has me looking like a complete rube. But I have two or three (or four or five) lids that I now wear routinely with the brim turned up. I also kinda like the brim just dipped a bit in front, not actually snapped down. Seems to look right with some hats, anyway.

Rooster

Practically Family
***Update****
I took the hat over to the local cowboy store at the mall today, looking for hat care supplies. The cute little cowgirl behind the counter offered to clean my hat for free if I had the time. I said "Sure Doll!" I figure it was probably my dashing good looks and irresistable charm that made her want to offer. :D (More than likely she was just bored out of her mind....:eusa_doh: )
So anyway the hat now looks great , all discoloration came out except for a bit of the stain right in front at the hat band. Not very noticable at all. Needless to say, I'm very pleased!:eusa_clap

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Congrats on having something DIFFERENT! There are lots of Open Roads, but you have one of the very few!

And for $10, you darn near stole it. :eek: If you hear sirens, run.

Cheers....

Rooster

Practically Family
She used a hat sponge, and Scout spot remover and a LOT of time. I was in there a couple days ago looking for a pair of engineer boots with leather soles. No such animal, all lug soles these days.:( I think she thought if she kept me in there long enough I'd buy a pair of boots.:rolleyes:
Oh, buy the way, this hat came with the original box too!:p

Rooster said:
She used a hat sponge, and Scout spot remover and a LOT of time.

It's good to have that stuff readily available (especially the LOT of time).
Really, though, every person with more than a couple of hats would be wise to have, minimally, a hat brush and a sponge.

Rooster

Practically Family
tonyb said:
It's good to have that stuff readily available (especially the LOT of time).
Really, though, every person with more than a couple of hats would be wise to have, minimally, a hat brush and a sponge.
Yep, got all the stuff now, handy stuff to have on hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80