Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Premier Felt Question

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hello,

I came across this Stetson Homburg, recently. Quiet a fine hat, indeed.

Does anyone have a clue what felt the premiers were actually made of? It loocks 50 ies or 60 ies.

The inscription bears an interesting feature: "In Lizenz in Deutschland hergestellt" meaning, it was manufactured under license in Germany!

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010090.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dreispitz, I can't answer the question but I have to tell you that is a really nice specimen. I love the look of a homburg and that one is very sharp.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can't give you an age but, by the 60s, Stetson was licensing its name to manufacture in quite a few countries, including Australia, South Africa, Spain, and apparently, Germany.

Though it's certainly far from being established, the [URL="http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34210&page=2]Stetson Think Tank[/URL] thread posits that Premier may have been the highest grade of dress felt at one time. Of course, changes in designations happened pretty often, so it's pretty hard to pin-down.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I had a Stetson homburg once which said "made in England under license". When I emailed Stetson they told me that there was a licensed hatmaker in England in the 60s. So if there was a licensed hatmaker in England in the 60s, maybe the German hatmaker was licensed at the same time? But anyway, as the maker was licensed, it was not really a Stetson hat, just another hatmaker allowed to carry the name.

My homburg said "Imperial Stetson" for felt quality. I don't know how good this ranks, but my hat was certainly the best I've ever seen, it was not water-resistant but properly waterproof, as well as thin, soft and pliable. But I think any vintage hat is probably good quality, so it doesn't matter much whether it's just standard or top quality.

Unfortunately the hat did not fit me (too small) so I did a terrible thing - sold it on ebay for only £20 (what I bought it for at an antiques fair). At the time I had no idea how much money that sort of hat is worth. Better than throwing it away at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo