Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stetson temple

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
bruce wayne said:
If you are looking at getting the Temple, I would just go ahead & step up the the Pinacle. Same shape, same colours, only the Pinacle is made out of 100% beaver.
But if you are willing to pay that much then you might as well get a $25 cheaper pure beaver hat from Mr Fawcett and have it custom made for you. If you get a reduced Pinacle of course, then go for it. Just my opinion of course.

As for Akubra vs Stetson, I posted a thread about it a while ago. The result was (when comparing a sovereign quality Stetson to a Fed) that the Stetson has a nicer feel to the felt being smoother. However, whilst the Akubra is courser and not so nice out of the box, it will be more durable over the long term. Hence, a Stetson may be better suited as a dress hat (not that an Abukra can't look smart) while an Akubra is suited to being worn in foul weather.

That said, the hat in my avatar is a Chatham, of equal quality to a Temple. It has been worn in heavy rain a lot of times and is still alive. It needs reshaping now and then, and is currently in need of brim work, but it has stood up to everything it has been put through rather well.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
Hello, everyone.

I have been looking at the Stetson Temple and wondering about the tawny color. I have been wanting to get a good hat for wearing in warmer months, but I hate to pop for this one at its price and without knowing exactly what color I'm getting. I understand that tawny is a beige color, but does anyone have a picture to post perhaps?
I know this in an old thread, but I've been thinking of getting a Temple in that "tawny" color, too, but the picture here makes it look more orange than the tawny fawn I want it to be.

http://www.hats-plus.com/p-142-stetson-temple-fedora-hat.aspx

And I defnitely don't want an orange hat, even slightly orange. Does anyone have a pic of their own to show?

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a shot of my mink Chatham which is a really nice hat. I don't get any orange tint to it at all, in person. The camera flash seems to change it somewhat though.

016.jpg

025.jpg

Arch Stanton

New in Town
While I agree that the Temple has an amazing lustrous feel, it's still a rather fragile hat. I've had two of them. Both shrank like mad within a year without ever even having been wet. Not just the sweatband, which is to be expected, but the rest of the hat tapered into a ridiculous caricature of itself. But back to the sweatband... yeah, everyone expects a bit of shrinkage, but not so much that I can't even put it on my head. It was almost as if some magical gnomes came in the night and switched mine out with children's hats. So much so that they were no good to me anymore so I just gave them to the neighbor kids to play cops or gangsters or Indy or whatever with. And the price is NOT worth it compared to other options, IMHO. I've never been happier since I started buying Akubras. Heck, check out Hornets Hats of London while you're at it. Their prices are so good that you'd think they made a mistake and marked them wrong.http://www.hornetshats.com/

texashatman

Familiar Face
bruce wayne said:
If you are looking at getting the Temple, I would just go ahead & step up the the Pinacle. Same shape, same colours, only the Pinacle is made out of 100% beaver.

That's a HUGE leap up in hats from the Temple to the Pinnacle. That's like saying if you're looking at a Mustang GT you might as well go with a Corvette Z-06:) It's about the same difference in price percentages.

One Too Many
It is a Temple

DnSchlng said:
I have a few hats from that are stetsons, but I dont have a temple hat. I am looking to get a gray one; I already have many indy style fedoras so i thought i would get this one. Does anyone have one? Can you comment on it?
Thankyou
2892925120106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

It is a Stetson Temple, one of my favourite, your head feels like a hand in a glove, is a excellent lid, only what in México in not easy pick up good trade mark hats.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
IMHO

Bruce Wayne said:

Sorry to disagree, but I had a Pinnacle once... ONCE, for about a week until I resold it. It may well be 100% beaver but it is still (as is the Temple) a tapered, low crowned, conical POJ. *yucky*
I got mine at an outlet price & still thought I got robbed. I would though like to give the Roamaster a try & look fwd. to pix & reviews.

Bouncer

New in Town
I'm new to hats, but wanted a "good" hat. I settled on the Stetson Temple for my first hat in black, size 7 5/8.

I wore it for the first time to a wedding and got nothing but compliments, especially from my older Uncles who are everyday hat wearers.

The fit is comfortable. Not too heavy but definitely not cheap quality. Stiff, but I seem to like them that way so far.

I'd recommend it. My next hat will be a Stetson Whippet. I like that classic look.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
After much research, a black Stetson Temple was my first fine hat. It was a good solution for me of proportions and available in my size (7 3/4 or 7 7/8) I do like it, but it's very rigid and I quickly discovered that I was a long oval. Maybe I'll try some steam on it to see if I can get it to form at all.

My Akubra won't show up for several months, so I can't do a comparison until then. For now, though, I'm plenty happy with the Temple.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Wildblue, you probably already know this, but....

.....I have a Stetson Firenze that is pretty stiff too. I'm a long oval and found that by steaming around the hatband and doing the knee-bend-stretch trick, I was able to shape it to where it fits my head much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart