Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stiffener for Montecristi brim..

dlgilbert

New in Town
Is there a way to add some stiffness to a Montecristi brim? I have one that has a very, very floppy brim and won't hold a block at all, partly due to the way it's woven, but also due to the floppiness. Because of that, the hat is borderline unwearable. It ends up looking like a boonie hat no matter what and I'm a bit more fond of a nice fedora brim. ;-)

Any magic secrets to adding some body or stiffness without killing the straw? I'd hate to think I have to chuck the hat.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Among the many things I've seen that don't involve HAZMAT $$$$ Shipping.

Yucca water, Elmer's glue (watered down), Kahl Hat Stiffener (What I've used), a really hot iron and some time working the hat (I've done that a lot, too!), and some concoction of Trago (read=Fire Water, Aguardiente, or any other sugar cane alcohol) and hairspray.

Of course, those were all in Ecuador.

As Andykev has pleaded...tell the truth hatters, what do you use?

dlgilbert

New in Town
Hmmm... fire water... I think I have some Jack Daniels around here somewhere!

LOL! (just kidding, of course!)

I'll see if I can track down the Kahl Hat Stiffener. That sounds like the item that I'm least likely to screw up. ;-)

Panamabob said:
Among the many things I've seen that don't involve HAZMAT $$$$ Shipping.

Yucca water, Elmer's glue (watered down), Kahl Hat Stiffener (What I've used), a really hot iron and some time working the hat (I've done that a lot, too!), and some concoction of Trago (read=Fire Water, Aguardiente, or any other sugar cane alcohol) and hairspray.

Of course, those were all in Ecuador.

As Andykev has pleaded...tell the truth hatters, what do you use?

Aguardiente?! I think that is for drinking only. :p
I will use the iron and a handkerchief or the like. It is cheaper and doesn't suck up my good liquor. ;)

Regards to all,

J

dlgilbert

New in Town
I have some Scout Felt Hat Stiffener that I got from Noggintops awhile ago and hadn't considered using it because it said "Felt" hat stiffener, but I saw it was very much the same thing as the Kahl product and it has worked great. Gotta go do some brim shaping now.

Woohoo!

Thanks for your help, all! Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24