Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stingy brim hats

jpbales

Practically Family
My stingiest

and as stingy as I'm willing to go, is my favorite hat- my vintage Bond Executive with 2" brim:
JimmySnow2.jpg

BondSideAngle.jpg
]

Goose.

Practically Family
Art Fawcett said:
Anything 2" or under is officially "stingy" Goose
Thank you for confirming what I thought Art(ist). The bummer I have with this style is now it looks like I'm trying to be a hipster. One of those "all the kids are doing it" situations. But I'll most likely be wearing it when parachute pants and "Members Only" jackets are back in vogue. So the heck with it.

Jauntyone said:
Goose., that hat looks great on you! As real stingy fan, I've wondered about the Akubra Hampton; any chance you might post a few more pictures?
Hey thank you Jauntyone. ;) Comments from you gents here are considered, if not respected (as is usually the case) for their educational value and wisdom. Loungers shouldn't let fellow Loungers look goofy.
Nonetheless, I don't wear it too often. Think it makes my mug look fatter. Wish the good Lord had given me a better hat mug...but what the heck, I've got no complaints really. Life's good.

AND J1, it is your "lucky day". Before I read this I had already snapped a pic for the "What the Hell is on Your Noggin Today?" thread (or something like that). Also, here are two pics of it FOB (Fresh Outta Box). If you would like more pics for whatever reason, let me know. Especially in consideration that the mug one has the top clipped a bit and the other two are a bit over exposed. Just let me know. Always enjoy posting lid pics :)

Edit: Here's a pic I posted in the other thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=809191&postcount=11656

555582148_NvSoX-S.jpg
555581752_EmZg3-S.jpg
555581798_ZYTR5-S.jpg

And, yes, the plumage came with the hat. Plucked immediately after the pic was snapped.

Jauntyone said:
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Beautiful hat!! I really like the pin, too. Is it original?
Devil Dog JPB; what Jauntyone said. Too cool for school:cool:
Semper Fi

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Thanks for the extra photos, Goose. I think you look great in that hat, but then I'm a real stingy fan!
BinkieBeaumont, that clip was great! I had never heard of this comedian before, but I hope to discover more of his work:) .

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I've tried stingier brims, but two inches is the limit for me. Here's me in my Resistol Outlook, in "spruce" color. It's the same hat as in my avatar.
IMG_0550.jpg

babs

A-List Customer
So I guess this is the place for stingy brim talk.
Got my prized Cavanagh on my desk (1 1/2" brim) stairing at me today and was rolling over ideas what I want to do with the bash.

Sorry I do need to get pic's of this killer hat.. Brand spanking new nearly, except it was made possibly as early as the 50's, but probably no later than early 60's... Worn maybe a couple times, sat in a box with the original center dent and now she's mine.

So other than being just conservative adding a front-pinch, I'm contemplating bash possibilities for this hat... A couple styles I found to share I think are very cool are from Penman and Optimo..

The Fedora 2: http://www.optimohats.com/felt/fedorano2/
001h.jpg

The Stingy:
001h.jpg

Fairly narrow center dent, widely placed pinch. Round top profile with just slightly lower front-brim on the crown, which I begin to suspect is an Optimo trait. A bit of brim forward ska look with brim up, though the hat is properly down on the noggin. I like it I think. Sharp look on the stingy. Might work, brim up or down.

Penman Eddie: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=90482&id=94550378449&op=6
Very pronounced taller front crown with a bit of Indy influence.. Maybe it's the color. 30's gangster meets 40's adventure-archeologist. :)

Penman Watchman: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=90485&id=94550378449&op=6
Cool pork pie with pronounced front-pinch almost a tear-drop. Also sharp. A lot of crown needed I bet to pull that stove-pipe parallel look. I'm betting I may attempt one of the Optimo looks. Before/after pics coming. Suggestions always welcome.

jwalls

Vendor
http://www.xoopit.com/s/20um7cjq58enefefnldy This one is about as stingy as I go. I found it in a box of dad's things, really crushed and mangled. Dave at D bar J here in Las Vegas reblocked and ironed it out for me. 1 3/4" brim. It was orginally a Churchill brand Beaver Twenty from Gold Rim Hatters, 825 Broadway, New York. http://www.xoopit.com/s/20um7cjq58enexucjm1a Dave built this one for me from an old stock velour body I found in his storage area. 2" brim

High Pockets

Practically Family
At first I didn't, but I think I'm beginning to like stingy brims.

100_2625.jpg

There are three in my arsenal now, and I believe I’ll be in the hunt for a few more in the near future.:)

babs

A-List Customer
Nice lid.

Yeah it's interesting it's pretty much the same as a typical fed except for probably the brim size in most cases.. Maybe the block shape / crown height maybe.

When I see a stingy brim, I picture this Dad figure.. In charge at the helm in the Atomic age just before JFK killed hat-wearing.. On the show, Steve was even an aeronautical engineer, to top it off. Stingy brim, pipe and I guess we should add pocket-protector and slide-rule to finish off the look with an Ivy league tweed jacket. :) In light that a slide-rule might be hard to come by, substitute proper HP RPN calculator, preferably an old LED version.

sons-44.jpg

seed

Familiar Face
Lower crown (<5" open), stingy brim (snapped up) is all I wear. Sacreligious on this board, I thought...but for my frame and face and personality, they work. I look ridiculous in large crown, wide-brims... And people here will hate me for saying so, but some others would fare better in the smaller dimensions IMHO...

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I am a fan of stingy brims myself, when I try on a wide brimmed hat I feel like a cowboy or something. Some people look good with a wider brim, but I don't.

:eek:fftopic: Dinerman, nice Brent

babs

A-List Customer
seed said:
Lower crown (<5" open), stingy brim (snapped up) is all I wear. Sacreligious on this board, I thought...but for my frame and face and personality, they work. I look ridiculous in large crown, wide-brims... And people here will hate me for saying so, but some others would fare better in the smaller dimensions IMHO...

I think it depends on many factors.. You're individual look, head/face shape also, and the look you're going for to match your personality. Stingies and mid-size brims I say fit right in with some where larger brims fit better for others in the style they're after.

As much as I love the looks of the '40's stratoliners and whippets and others in bound big brims, I think the dimensions and proportions of my 2" Dunlap and similar Dobbs milan fit me best.. Face and personality.. I'm a clean-cut '80's kid though that wore skinny ties and was indoctrinated away from large lapels or flared legs, etc.. So stingies I guess scratch the itch for that "neat" ideal I guess subconsciously.

I'll have to get a pic on my noggin but will have to have everyone sign waivers incase it cracks their monitors. :)

DSCN0746.jpg

seed

Familiar Face
babs said:
I think it depends on many factors.. You're individual look, head/face shape also, and the look you're going for to match your personality. Stingies and mid-size brims I say fit right in with some where larger brims fit better for others in the style they're after.

As much as I love the looks of the '40's stratoliners and whippets and others in bound big brims, I think the dimensions and proportions of my 2" Dunlap and similar Dobbs milan fit me best.. Face and personality.. I'm a clean-cut '80's kid though that wore skinny ties and was indoctrinated away from large lapels or flared legs, etc.. So stingies I guess scratch the itch for that "neat" ideal I guess subconsciously.

I'll have to get a pic on my noggin but will have to have everyone sign waivers incase it cracks their monitors. :)

DSCN0746.jpg

I too am an 80's kid (born in the '70's)...and a 90's college student. People would say I look like Tim Armstrong (from Rancid) and that was before I started wearing stingies or anything else. I actually didn't even know what he looked like (even though I do like his band), nor did I know he wore stingies and shaved(?) his head. By pure coincidence, I started shaving my head after doing it for a Halloween costume (I was "Hitman") and liked the look and feel and have been shaving it ever since. But it was so damned cold in the Winter that I had to wear something on my head...which is when I started regularly wearing nice hats (I frickin' hate beanies). That's when the Tim Armstrong comments really took off...and from people who actually met him (he and I actually grew up about two miles away from each other). So I had to youtube their videos to see what he looked like. Little did I know how much I did look like him...although I am a few years younger (hey, I just had to say that!)

Moral of the story...I don't know. I just think it's a cool story of coincidence. And the fact is the stingies look good on my separated at birth twin and go figure I would independently choose the same style for myself!

babs

A-List Customer
Ah yes.. The ska/punk version of the stingy. Brim up with attitude.
Tim.Armstrong.jpg

Tim+Armstrong1.jpg

Interesting.. Same hat, pushed forward.. completely different look. Completely different branch on the vintage tree. Plus I think the stingies are becoming very identified with musicians in general.

default.jpg

john-brim.jpeg

Something "urban" or "hip" about the hats.. It's a fed, but more casual.. Works with a thin lapel suit, or leather jacket, or either sax, bass or guitar. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart