Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stockings and peep toe shoes?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
This is something I've been pondering for awhile now, so maybe some of you ladie's know the answer!

Wearing stockings, or hose, with open toed or peep toe shoes is definitely a fashion faux pas nowadays, but what did ladies from the 40's do? Did they still wear their stockings with their peep toes, or did they go without?

Do any of you ladies wear your stockings with peep toe shoes?

Barbigirl

Practically Family
pigeon toe said:
This is something I've been pondering for awhile now, so maybe some of you ladie's know the answer!

Wearing stockings, or hose, with open toed or peep toe shoes is definitely a fashion faux pas nowadays, but what did ladies from the 40's do? Did they still wear their stockings with their peep toes, or did they go without?

Do any of you ladies wear your stockings with peep toe shoes?

I do, but only if the peep toe opening is very small and only with completely sheer hose. (never reinforced toe) It gets cold here and hose look better than legs covered in goosebumps.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm pretty sure stockings were the only thing to do- I recently read a Mccall magazine from the late 30's during the summer with illustrations of fashion no-no's. One was wearing no stockings and instead exposing the tanned legs- it said it might be OK out on the farm, but definately not normally! I wear my peep toes with stockings, and I'm pretty sure that was the standard. I betcha Jitterbugdoll will know for sure, though ;)

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Hello Pigeon Toe,

Yes, I wear stockings with my peep toe shoes and I don't mind. I think the ladies in the past did it as well. As far as I know it was a faux pas in the past to go without stockings.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
LadyDeWinter said:
Hello Pigeon Toe,

Yes, I wear stockings with my peep toe shoes and I don't mind. I think the ladies in the past did it as well. As far as I know it was a faux pas in the past to go without stockings.

That's what I was thinking! Now I need to get some cute peep toe pumps!

lindylady

A-List Customer
I agree. Most pictures I've seen show women wearing stockings and peep toes. Plus, that particular look is very vintage ;)

P

Phaedra

I wear stockings with all types of shoes, as long as they are sheer toe.

TabbyKat

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
I wear stockings even in summer. Peep-toe, open-toe, whatever shoes, with red polish showing through. The last thing I care about is what is a fashion faux-pas nowadays. Oh, wait, maybe I would, so I could do the exact opposite. ;)

*Coffee= Out the nose in a most unladylike manner.* I agree whole-heartedly with that last statement!

I wear my stockings with. I don't much care for the look of a naked leg, and stockings make shoes fit better if you ask me. ^_^ I know my grandmother ( a wonderful fourties woman) would have a fit when she saw my mother (A late sixties woman) running around in a skirt and heels but without stockings. I say, try the ones with a sheer toe, perhaps sandle-foot. Those rarely show through. :)

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Eeek! Shoes without stockings!

My Mother was the first one to tell me about having seen this on a trip to Ireland. A few years ago it showed up in the summer in Seattle, and then I moved to California where the majority of the women are saving A LOT on stockings.

I find it shocking, and well, not quite nice.

Do you think they are wearing underwear? No, don't tell me, I don't want to know.

Peep toe, sandal, pumps, whatever. If you aren't wearing hose, you aren't dressed.

TabbyKat

New in Town
BegintheBeguine said:
lol lol Welcome from me, TabbyKat. I confess sometimes I wear the reinforced toe, seems to last longer and I haven't been aware of anyone noticing, as long as the shoe part covers up the seam part.

I myself preffer it reinforced. For some kooky reason, the toes are always the first to go in my stockings. I guess because they rub on the tip of the shoe so much. In the past, I have been known to wear those with peep-toe shoes. Usually, it isn't noticeable. From what comments I have gotten, people will first notice that my toes are polished! :) Good to know...lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The only open-toed shoes I have are sandals, which I wear without stockings, of course.

But if I wore peep-toes, I'd wear them with hose or stockings. I just think it looks better than bare legs.

Rosie

One Too Many
I wear stockings with peep toes always. Did it yesterday in fact.

Anyone for tights and peep toes? I'm thinking of doing that as the weather gets cooler and I still want to wear skirts and peep toes, not done it before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari