Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stockings and peep toe shoes?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've seen a lot of stockings with all kinds of shoes. However, there was also a lot of socks with peep toes as well. I've even seen socks with sandals.

So, I guess you should wear whatever you are comfortable with, but vintage ladies usually wore stocking and younger women usually just wore socks.

Snookie

Practically Family
00055003.jpg

GOK

One Too Many
Another vote for wearing stockings with peep toes. I wouldn't dream of not wearing stockings with a frock, skirt or suit. To me that would just be wrong. The only exception would be in the summer, with a sundress and sandals. having said that, it never gets that warm over here, so I generally don't even need to consider sandals!

The idea of wearing shoes without stockings actually makes me cringe - I can imagine only too well how uncomfortable that would be. And it conjures up images of females with drooping hemlines or worse - leggings), mottled corned beef legs, callouses and cracked heels. It's not an image I'd recommend! :(

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I've seen a lot of stockings with all kinds of shoes. However, there was also a lot of socks with peep toes as well. I've even seen socks with sandals.

So, I guess you should wear whatever you are comfortable with, but vintage ladies usually wore stocking and younger women usually just wore socks.

In England it was common to wear socks with sandals back then. Heck, some people still do!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Fully fashioned stockings were what women wore with both peep and open toed and closed and open backed shoes. Until WWII it really wasn't acceptable to go without stockings, so you wore them with everything except for more casual footwear and ensembles. I personally cannot stand the stocking-free lifestyle that modern women seem to adhere to (how can you not wear stockings with a day dress, to a cocktail party, to an interview--what has this world come to?!)

Here's a pic of me at the Queen Mary showing off my open-back, peep-toe 40s heels and fully fashioned stockings:
47b6cf02b3127cce8f39eee718a800000016108AatmbRq2ctP

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
jitterbugdoll said:
Fully fashioned stockings were what women wore with both peep and open toed and closed and open backed shoes. Until WWII it really wasn't acceptable to go without stockings, so you wore them with everything except for more casual footwear and ensembles. I personally cannot stand the stocking-free lifestyle that modern women seem to adhere to (how can you not wear stockings with a day dress, to a cocktail party, to an interview--what has this world come to?!)

Here's a pic of me at the Queen Mary showing off my open-back, peep-toe 40s heels and fully fashioned stockings:
47b6cf02b3127cce8f39eee718a800000016108AatmbRq2ctP

:eek:fftopic: jitterbugdoll - your inbox is too full for me to send a PM. Just wanted to say I received the lipstick last week and thank you very much!!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok ladies, don't shoot me (ducks!).. what about the leg makeup they wore during the war?
Of course, I wouldn't want to wear that...

I'm assuming the retro made nylons have a different feel to them? I just can't stand the shiny look of the ones today, and yet, some are too matte looking.

I really want to get a few pair of back seamed ones.

Nikki

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
My lovely friend Rose is the one smiling at the camera (she's the one with fabulous vintage store.) I posted the pic so you can see the backs of my stockings worn with open-backed heels.

Is there anything specific you would like to know about leg makeup? It came in many forms--creams, sticks, pancake versions--and women would draw a seam up the back and powder to set the color (it was messy and smeared easily.) During the war, women began going bare-legged, and would wear socks or peds with their shoes in lieu of stockings.

Real fully fashioned nylon stockings do have a bit of a shine to them, and are very fitted to the leg (the reinforced heel actually helps fit the stocking to your foot and keep the seams straight). They have some stretch, but not like modern, Lycra-infused hosiery.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Jitterbugdoll...

I just brought up the makeup because they didn't always have on stockings. So, do I understand right that even if they put makeup on (or not), they would still always use peds instead of putting naked feet in their shoes?

Another question on the vintage type stockings~ are the tops rather loose? I don't want any hamhock spilling out the top. Do I just order according to my weight or what?

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari