Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Hat Qualities

David Bresch

Familiar Face
1) Can anyone compare the quality of a Montecristi hat from Optimo/Graham Thompson, Panamabob/Art Fawcett, and Brent Black, at the $300-$400 price point? Please, please, do not get into ad hominem issues: it is hurtful to the artisans and after perusing the fora, that these three merchants are of unquestioned integrity is obvious to me.

2) Can anyone compare the qualities of a Montecristi hat with a Milan Straw hat, presumably from Optimo? Is the Montecristi cooler? Lighter?

3) (added since there have been no replies) Can anyone tell me where the Milan straw hat sold by Miller comes from (what brand)? Its quality, perhaps compared to the Optimo Milan straw (5x the cost)?

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Sorry no one has replied

A Milan is more of an open weave than a Montecriti, and also I fear from a cheaper product. BUT I'm not sure what it is exactly. Could depend I guess. Bottom line, each has its own recomendations. The Milan weave was a favoritite of businessmen in the 1950's. I never recall seeing a Panama at all, Both are very good hats and I have both. Take your pick, its a matter of personal preference. You really can't go wrong with Miller Milans or a PB Special. Have fun.

David Bresch

Familiar Face
After an exhaustive search of the archives I called Optimo and ordered their Milan hat. Enough people thought the Miller ones were awful that I did not feel like blowing $80. Plus I went to a local hat shop and looked at their Milan hats and they were awful.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Please send pic's

I have a Knox Twenty Milan from the 50's. If I could find that quality again I would never wear a panama.
Let me know how it turns out.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I don't know what the Miller milan straw is or where it came from, but I like it very much. I have the 179 Danville in natural straw, and it's one of my favorites. It was stiff at first, but it soon surrendered to the shape of my head. I'm sure some might consider it to be a little on the sturdy or heavy side, but it breathes and wears cool on my head. You might say it's for the blue collar guy...and that would be me;) I'm thinking something in grey milan straw for the late summer, early fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred