Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw hats and its life expectancy

oswd

New in Town
Hi guys
I have than make a present and I thought give away a Panama straw hat but I saw this:

The toquilla palm contains a certain amount of humidity, according to its thickness which give it its flexibility. When the hat its exposed to a humid atmosphere (example: near a beach without sun) the palm absorbs this additional humidity and it expels it when the atmosphere is drier. This process weakens its structure with time. It is for that reason that the first models with a wide palm won't last more of 2 years with significant climatic changes. The extra-fino model Cuenca and the Montecristi aren’t subject to this phenomenon they are made from a very fine palm and a dense fabric.

The difference between the 2 qualities is the life expectancy hat what is since a wide palm won't last more of 2 years with significant climatic changes... as far as ... The extra-fino model and the Montecristi aren’t subject to this phenomenon they are made from a very fine palm and a dense fabric...

And now, choose a quality and where is the better store.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There was a time -- at least in the U.S.A. -- when stiff straw hats (such as boaters) were bought at drugstores just before Armistice (Memorial) Day and then discarded in a dramatic fashion just after Labor Day: the men would ceremoniously drive their fists through the crowns of their hats.

(By the way: before there was a Memorial Day (which began only after 1918), when did men start wearing straw hats, white suits and white shoes?)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Well, don't know how far back it goes, but I've heard May 15 is Straw Hat Day, and September 15 is Felt Hat Day. I would guess it predates Memorial Day.

Brad

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Hogwash! Balderdash! Hooey!

No creo, oswd. No hay un cambo quimico de la paja cuando ellos cortan con las unas (de los dedos). En todo mi tiempo con esos sombreros, nunca ha tenido un experiencia como asi.

Forgive my sloppy Spanish.

I don't belive it, oswd. There is no chemical change when they cut the paja with their fingernails. I've never seen it in all of my time with these hats.

I've found your source. Let's just say that that isn't the most honest hatseller in the world.

oswd

New in Town
Thanks for the information.

Ah, Panamabob your spanish is very good :eusa_clap and my english is very painful. :(

I see in http://www.panamas.biz various models very nice and now is very difficult choose a hat.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
Brad Bowers said:
Well, don't know how far back it goes, but I've heard May 15 is Straw Hat Day, and September 15 is Felt Hat Day. I would guess it predates Memorial Day.

Brad

Brad, an easier way to figure it out: nice, warm day - Panama. Cold or rainy day: felt. Yesterday here in the SF Bay Area was cloudy and cool, so I had my felt on. Today it will be sunny and mild, so on will go the Montecristi...KC

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
oswd said:
The toquilla palm contains a certain amount of humidity, according to its thickness which give it its flexibility. When the hat its exposed to a humid atmosphere (example: near a beach without sun) the palm absorbs this additional humidity and it expels it when the atmosphere is drier. This process weakens its structure with time. It is for that reason that the first models with a wide palm won't last more of 2 years with significant climatic changes. The extra-fino model Cuenca and the Montecristi aren’t subject to this phenomenon they are made from a very fine palm and a dense fabric.

When I was in Paul's Hat Works in San Francisco, Michael showed me his 30 + year old Panama hat. It was lovely, no cracks or anything wrong with it. The only change was that it had turned this lovely color, liked aged ivory. It really looked nice and I am already seeing my Panama that I got from him two years ago changing color slightly. This appears to be normal in fine Panama hats...KC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran