Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw in this season

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
All -

I was curious what your thoughts are on wearing a straw fedora in this season? I dont own any panamas. My brims are all stingy, so its a different style than many on here. Does this make a difference to you? Does it make a difference to you if its a tight weave or one thats...not..tight? Since I am in ca, it is warm still on many days. And even when its cold here, Im sure that our cold is warm to some. Anyway, do you think its fine? are you violently opposed? What are your thoughts?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it depends on the temperature.

It would be fine, I imagine in Southern California, but not recommended for Northern Maine.

When I head to the tropics, my Panama comes with me. :)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like the tradition of Straw Hat Day, so mine goes into the closet for winter.

I'll have a brand new panama from Art that is the bee's knees to show off too. :)

duggap

Banned
Straw day?

I agree with Scotrace, you need a straw time and a fur felt time. Only problem is I waited a few months to get my new Panama from Panama Bob and it has to set in a closet for three more months when I am dying to wear it. Also, someone mentioned straw is coming back, I hope so. There was a picture last year of several Hollywood actresses wearing mens style straw hats and man they really looked good. Hard to beat a good straw lid.:)

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Both here in central Texas today

Started off with a felt Mallory and swapped to my Stetson straw this afternoon. Dress for the weather and comfort, its a no-brainer.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
I pulled a new hat out of a Panama Hatworks box yesterday and wore it all day. It's been very warm here in NC. Thanks Robert...love the hat!

Boroparkpyro

New in Town
photobyalan said:
It's supposed to be pushing 70 here in the NY area tomorrow. Might have to throw the Panama on just for kicks.

I did *exactly that* yesterday :p .

And then went for a walk across the George Washington Bridge and back. It was mad windy, but the breeze was unable to steal my hat.

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Was wishing I had a "summer" hat yesterday, did some errands in a linen shirt and shorts yesterday. Even Atlanta is supposed to be cold this time of year. :rolleyes:

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At the classic car functions I attend there are lots of Panamas on heads! Saturday- winter in So. Cal.- I saw them still worn. Too bad I can't get them to switch to felt fedoras for cooler weather as I do!

RBH

Bartender
I am way south in Texas as I speak. Went down into Mexico yesterday and today. I wore a classic style panama hat. [it is a cheape one] {I have one on order from PanamaBob but it did not arrive in time for my trip}
Shorts and a straw go good together , really good in in 75+ weather!
I will try and post a few pics when I get home to 'cold' Arkansas!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
70 in Central Park two days ago. 91 here in Burbank today. It's January. I think I, we, better start stocking up on straws and Panamas. That, and sunblock.

Doh!

One Too Many
It was 80 in L.A. today but it drops down into the high 40s at night. So this raises the question: if you can only have one hat to wear, do you break out a straw but then be chilly at night, or do you sweat out the day with a felt?

(Actually, today I wore the felt porkpie and it wasn't too hot for it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24