Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching a Felt Cloche?

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
One of my favourite black felt cloches got wet and seems to have shrunk. I was wondering if there is anyway to stretch it back out without damaging it. I have a clothes steamer here, if that is necessary !
Thanks so much, Ladies

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Yikes! I had no idea a cloche could shrink from getting wet. I have no advice to give unfortunately. If it were still wet, MAYBE you could have put it on the head of a mannequin who has the same head size as yourself and let it dry that way. Not sure though.

mckayzoo

New in Town
Thats a new one on me, but being wool it makes sense it could shrink. I have had great luck steaming felt hats to clean them, so I would try steaming it a bit then putting it on. Good luck!

St. Louis

Practically Family
I used to work in a hat factory. You'll need a big blast of steam, some sizing, and a hat block. You will also need a warm oven.

If you don't have a block, try to find a small saucepan that has about the right size and shape. I don't know whether a clothes steamer would give you enough power (I've never owned one.) I use a teakettle on full boil. Steam your cloche thoroughly until it's pretty well saturated. Stretch your hat over the pot or block until you're satisfied with the shape. Let it dry in the oven. (I think about 200 to 250 should be about right.) Then take it out, spray the sizing (do this outdoors or in a ventilated room) and dry it again.

That should work, but you have to be careful not to let the saucepan stretch the cloche into a bad shape, because that will be difficult or impossible to undo. When I'm just trying to correct a dented or misshapen hat, I steam it and then carefully stuff it with towels and let it dry.

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
I used to work in a hat factory. You'll need a big blast of steam, some sizing, and a hat block. You will also need a warm oven.

If you don't have a block, try to find a small saucepan that has about the right size and shape. I don't know whether a clothes steamer would give you enough power (I've never owned one.) I use a teakettle on full boil. Steam your cloche thoroughly until it's pretty well saturated. Stretch your hat over the pot or block until you're satisfied with the shape. Let it dry in the oven. (I think about 200 to 250 should be about right.) Then take it out, spray the sizing (do this outdoors or in a ventilated room) and dry it again.

That should work, but you have to be careful not to let the saucepan stretch the cloche into a bad shape, because that will be difficult or impossible to undo. When I'm just trying to correct a dented or misshapen hat, I steam it and then carefully stuff it with towels and let it dry.

Thank you so much for your advice. It is pretty round, and I will try to find a small metal bowl or something! I will let you know how it goes!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adkrabbe