Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stretching a top hat?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Simply put, is it doable? There's a very nice one at the shop I'm working at, and it's just a bit too small. It's 7 1/8, but it's not a long oval, which makes it just a bit too small front to back, and it sits a bit too high on my head as a result.

I'd need a hat stretcher, of course...

metropd

One Too Many
Well knowing that a traditional derby is made of very stiff felt and it has be done, maybe a top hat could too. The difference is the felt on a derby is stiif, the felt on a silk plush top hat is smoooth and luxurious(as long as you touch it counter clock wise) The structure of a silk plush top hat is stiff(unless it's those pearl grey ascot races top hats, then the felt would be like a derby). I've been wondering the same thing for awhile, I'm sorry I couldn't really help. [huh]

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The hat in question is a satin plush, not sure of the exact material. It's 1920s english, from what I can tell. It's got a white sweatband, excellent finish, no taper(positive or negative) and a very narrow brim.

It's the right size, per se, just not the right shape. I don't want to stretch it larger, in this case, just 'rearrange' the space that one's head fits into.

To answer Marc's question, I'm looking to stretch it horizontally - front to back, forehead to the back of the head.

The Wingnut said:
To answer Marc's question, I'm looking to stretch it horizontally - front to back, forehead to the back of the head.

That might be doable but finding the person willing to do it is something else. Ovalizing it seems like a different animal than stretching. This is a fur hat right?
I just wonder about the form underlying the fur. I wouldn't want to mess that up because it is what keeps the shape of that hat. [huh]

Regards,

J

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm not sure what the material is, silk or fur. It certainly seems like plush over a stiff form instead of felt, but I've seen felt with the same finish...what the form is exactly - assuming it uses one - I've no idea.

It is possible to find narrower or 'ovalized' hat stretchers?

Someone in this forum must know something more than the average Lounger on the topic of top hats...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
He lists hat stretchers as some of the tools that he uses...I'd assume it's safe to stetch a top hat based on that, within reason, of course.

I need to find a stretcher, anyway...I should probably look for that first.

Thanks, Tony!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy