Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suede boots of WWI and WWII

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Ok, I've been noticing that WWI and WWII service shoes seem to be suede. Is there an advantage to this?

When I first joined the U.S. Army, we had black leather boots; now we have suede boots. I miss shining my black boots, and I guess the suede issued boots now-a-days are ok, but I think I preferred my old black boots (but I realize this may just be nostalgia on my part).

Ok, I've been noticing that WWI and WWII service shoes seem to be suede. Is there an advantage to this?

When I first joined the U.S. Army, we had black leather boots; now we have suede boots. I miss shining my black boots, and I guess the suede issued boots now-a-days are ok, but I think I preferred my old black boots (but I realize this may just be nostalgia on my part).

I got some reproduction M43 German lowboots and they're suede or "roughout" Easy to break in, and after I put 4 coats of Sno-Seal on them, they look like leather now. Love these boots. Not sure if they'd last more or less longer than "regular" leather, but I love them.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I have some suede birkenstock clogs that are over 20 years old and still feel really nice when I put them on (they are from my college days--). cringe.

30s sliphorn

New in Town
Not sure about the modern suede or "roughout" boots they have today, but in WW2 they went to them because they accepted waterproofing better than the smooth leather Service shoes. The GIs would use "dubbing", which was a petroleum based waterproofer, as well as mink oil, Vaseline, even axle grease was used. They would also put brown shoe polish on them and you could get a rough shine to them after a bit. I do WW2 re-enacting, and I was surprised at how water resistant the roughouts would become by using the dubbing and the other methods.

Not sure about the modern suede or "roughout" boots they have today, but in WW2 they went to them because they accepted waterproofing better than the smooth leather Service shoes. The GIs would use "dubbing", which was a petroleum based waterproofer, as well as mink oil, Vaseline, even axle grease was used. They would also put brown shoe polish on them and you could get a rough shine to them after a bit. I do WW2 re-enacting, and I was surprised at how water resistant the roughouts would become by using the dubbing and the other methods.

Yep - that's what I use mine for. They're great, and after the next batch of Sno-Seal, I reckon as waterproof as a leather boot will get.

PoohBang

Suspended
they're not suede... It's roughout leather. Same as regular leather boots only backwards to what you're use to. Suede is different stuff.

they're not suede... It's roughout leather. Same as regular leather boots only backwards to what you're use to. Suede is different stuff.

I think that was covered. Suede to me simply is a good way to describe such things so that pretty much everyone knows what you're talking about. Suede proper indeed would not make good boots!

zaman fu

Familiar Face
my understanding is that suede is the rough side of the hide, i.e. "roughout." nubuck aka "chamois" is where they scrape off the the top layer of the smooth side to create a suede-like finish, which i've read is more durable that suede but not as luxuriant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24