Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suits with odd measurements ...

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Let me pick your collective brains about a question that's been needling me all day. This morning I was at a charity thrift sale and came across several older suits (mid-50s to mid-60s). Some with waistcoats. I was interested in three particularly, and the jackets fit very well. The trousers, however, seem to have been tailored for a man at least 9 1/2 feet tall. Maybe 11 feet tall. If it was just a matter of hemming the legs to fit, no problem. But the crotch hung halfway down to my knees.

My question being: For $15 each, would I have been better off buying them and then reselling the matching trousers? If so, there would be no chance of me ever finding another pair to match the rest of the suit. What's a man to do?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
As someone who sells vintage, and who takes a 35" inseam, I speak from experience when I say there's always a market for vintage suits in harder to find sizes like those.
You could always buy them and hem the trousers, the "crotch hanging halfway down to your knees" is probably just the high waisted cut of the period.

My recommendation if you do buy them, is buy them to sell, never split up the suit jacket and trousers.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. Buy them and try to get used to high waisted trousers. Soon you will like it and want to replace your modern low riders too ;-)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
If the trousers were really made for someone with a super-long body, and thus the waist is so high that it reaches your ribs and is at a level that is actually uncomfortable, you could try dropping the waist. I had it done on a pair of trousers once. They simply removed the waistband, removed a couple of inches from the top of the trousers and repositioned the waistband. It's not ideal, and it never looked 100%, but it worked. especially if there is a waistcoat.

Whislerm

New in Town
As someone who sells vintage, and who takes a 35" inseam

Good heavens, you must be close to 8' tall. I thought it was hard finding vintage stuff just being over 6'

I agree though, don't seperate them, either try to make them work or sell them together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy