Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer and Sunday best?

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Amen! I bought a steamer a number of years ago, and regularly steam closet (and drier) wrinkles out.
But ironing - NO!

And so, I really like the "linen look".

I find that simply hanging my shirts on hangers as soon as they're out of the washing machine prevents them from creasing. It helps that most of my shirts are a poly-cotton blend.

Whizz for Atomms

New in Town
I find that simply hanging my shirts on hangers as soon as they're out of the washing machine prevents them from creasing. It helps that most of my shirts are a poly-cotton blend.

I do the same with blends, but I much prefer the feel of 100% cotton shirts - which do require some ironing, curse them.

Sadly I seem to be particularly adept at ironing in creases rather than ironing them out. It's getting to the stage where I'm choosing what to wear based on how badly ironed my shirts are...

Crumpled mess of a shirt: high gorge 3 button suit & nice fat 1940's tie to hide as much shirt as possible
Nice crisp shirt: low gorge two button suit & thinner tie/bow tie to show off my fearsome ironing skills...

I don't get to wear bow ties very often alas... ;)

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Linen or pure linen as I've discovered is a crease monster. Mainly the trousers. I have however picked up a Corby 4000 trouser press on the cheap and that helps with creases. Also spray starch gives the trousers a stiffer finish too which extends resistance to creasing. Not that my Linen suits get to many outings.....the up keep is to intense! I can see now why a few people recommended light wool. Attached a photo of one of my 2 brown linen suits. The cane is not mine, belongs to a shorter fellow.

Brownlinensuit.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Also spray starch gives the trousers a stiffer finish too which extends resistance to creasing.
The two negatives with using starch: 1)It substantially shortens the useful life of fabric. 2)It significantly reduces the breathability of fabric.

Salieri

One of the Regulars
Surely the propensity to crease is simply part of the character and charm of linen...

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Surely the propensity to crease is simply part of the character and charm of linen...

I think its kind of a compromise too. On a hot day, I don't want to wear wool and be saturated in sweat. Pure linen clearly breathes and more so than linen mix (must think about the starch issue) and so the crumple is just part of the package.

I think its kind of a compromise too. On a hot day, I don't want to wear wool and be saturated in sweat.

One of the things about wool today the weaves are much finer as in smaller tighter than in the past. As the mills moved toward the super wool counts the breathability of wool was lessened. The old weaves of the vintage days was a bit looser so the wool breathed better.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
One of the things a friend has spoken and written about is that vintage fabric for men's suits was usually a much looser weave that allowed for a bit more breathe ability.

This is why many people have a hard time believing me when I say that I don't feel overheated in warm weather while wearing a vintage suit (unless it's over 85 degrees).

Last edited:

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
The trouble I've found with wearing linen in England, particularly on the coast, is that even in warm weather it's far too cold, not the temperature outside but the fact that due to a breathability of fabric more suited to the Tropics it fails in being a comfortable garment.

I'd definitely be in the 'light wool' or 'loose weave' wool camp. I've been wearing 18oz serge for the past few days over a jumper with the 20*C heat we've been having with no ill effects, even in the car.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Funnily enough, even south Sweden is warmer than the UK in summer (and by the UK I mean the south - I'm from Wiltshire and it's noticeably cooler there in summer, and especially a lot less humid).

I can't wait to move back and be more comfortable in summer.

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
I think the hottest I remember it getting last summer was 30*C in Windsor. It's the point I'm trying to make - it's why traditionally British gents who could afford it only wore linen in the tropics. I really don't like the stuff as it stands, save perhaps for shirting.

RobStC

A-List Customer
Hmmm, so living as I do in sunny Scotland, where it rarely seems to make it very far into the 20's, there really is no point owning the four linen (or silk/linen mix) suits that I have?

Oh well, maybe there's something in the British psyche that goes very deep, to do with visions of Empire and swanning around in hot foreign climes in pale linen suits and Panamas..... even if in actuality you're freezing your socks off standing in the drizzle. Oh the cruel interjections of reality..... :eusa_doh:

RobStC

Matt_the_chap

One of the Regulars
There's always a point to owning nice clothes. They needn't be practical.

I agree with the visions of Empire and swanning - I think it was the reason I bought my rather nasty M&S linen jacket, which is a far cry from it. I need an excuse to get rid of it.

RobStC

A-List Customer
I think it was the reason I bought my rather nasty M&S linen jacket, which is a far cry from it. I need an excuse to get rid of it.

Ho yes, the attractions of cheap (M&S) linen..... :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:
Been there, done that myself, enough times to recognise the futility of it - always end up feeling frustrated and not quite happy, so most of it eventually ends up in the charity shop donations bag.....

Still keep my eyes open for the perfect linen suit - if I ever find it maybe I'll just have to move to Milan or Rome or some place like that :cool:.

Enjoy the 'summer',
RobStC

Tenorclef

One of the Regulars
Another benefit I've found with the linen suit is that as a musician playing 1920's-30's music I don't sweat to death....but obviously performing at a band stand in late August and onward i'd still prefer my tweed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy