Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer Hat Suggestions?

1OldGI

Familiar Face
AKUBRAS in the Mall!?

That's it, I'm moving to Australia! Never a big fan of vegamite but hey, for a walk in store I can buy an Akubra from, I'll learn. The hat shacks here have nothing but baseball caps. Any way back on topic, if you're on a budget, panama hats direct is a good bet. Reasonable prices and fairly good quality for the money.

yardpup01

New in Town
Alas, today it was warm enough that I had to leave my beloved Fed IV at home. I've worn it everyday since I got it in October! Not one to simply give up, I've decided that I need a good summer hat. I've been looking around, but I don't know/understand the differences between a Panama or a Milan. I like the look and style of the Akubra Capricorn, the price is nice as well. However, I'm not sure how I feel about the poly material. I'd like to find something with a snap brim close to the dimensions of the Capricorn for around $40-60. What do you gentlemen suggest?

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
SUNBODY

I feel like I am pimping these things at this point.

not too casual, not too dressy. and tough.
pros:

re-shapeable
flexible
the business casual of straw hats (versatile)
reasonably priced

cons:

colors less dressy...more yellow/tan
texture a tad rough looking compared to panamas
grosgrain ribbon around the crown is not too dressy

Mr E Train

One Too Many
I've heard good things about the straw Whippet. I haven't seen one in a XXL or 7 3/4 or else I'd probably have ordered one already.

I got a Pinzano (although on the website it says "Ozark") milan straw teardrop fedora from Hat Guys that they call the "Truman" style. http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=978622#8633 It's a snap brim and looks similar to the Capricorn. The Pinzano Milans are sold as a "100% Milan braid straw," but you know nowadays, that could mean some kind of paper braid or a synthetic. Whatever it's made of, it's durable and cool on my head, and well worth the $55 I paid for it.

RBH

Bartender
Mr E Train said:
I've heard good things about the straw Whippet. I haven't seen one in a XXL or 7 3/4 or else I'd probably have ordered one already.

I got a Pinzano (although on the website it says "Ozark") milan straw teardrop fedora from Hat Guys that they call the "Truman" style. http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=978622#8633 It's a snap brim and looks similar to the Capricorn. The Pinzano Milans are sold as a "100% Milan braid straw," but you know nowadays, that could mean some kind of paper braid or a synthetic. Whatever it's made of, it's durable and cool on my head, and well worth the $55 I paid for it.
If you havent posted a shot please do. I have looked at the Truman for awhile now.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you like the Federation...

Panama_BobstrawIndy-1.jpg

Panama Bob had some kick @ss Indy-esque straws a year or two back. High crown & swoopy brim. I think he still does. "panamahatsecuador" is his handle on eBay.

Classified00

Familiar Face
I ordered the fawn Capricorn as an add (to save shipping) when I bought my Tawny Fed 4. I'm very impressed with the Capricorn and I've worn it several times so far. It will definately be a big part of my summer hat routine. It looked a little shiny when it first arrived but that has faded. It's a bit heavier than straw too. That said, it's super durable and can be soaked over and over and it won't be affected by my non-stop sweating ;)

chum

Familiar Face
yardpup01 said:
Alas, today it was warm enough that I had to leave my beloved Fed IV at home.
First day for me too!:mad: Got to 80 today here in St. Louis...IT'S NOT FAIR!
Maybe I should move to Minnesota!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
yardpup01 said:
Alas, today it was warm enough that I had to leave my beloved Fed IV at home. ...

It was a little warm today wasn't it!

I was wearing a Campdraft today. I certainly did get some sweat going but not enough to float the hat and no drips down my face.

My advice is simple. If you can at least occasionally get a whiff of freshly spread manure where you live or work then get yourself one of these:

hpim0766r.jpg

If you don't get the occasional scent then take the advice of others for something a little more stylish and a little less rugged.

yardpup01

New in Town
I like the look of that Pinzano Truman Panama. What are the pros/cons of Panama vs Milan or vice versa? I do like the idea that I could get caught in the rain with the Capricorn and not have to worry.

For straw hats do you guys prefer leather or cloth sweatbands?

yardpup01

New in Town
CRH said:
If you don't get the occasional scent then take the advice of others for something a little more stylish and a little less rugged.

While I go to a school that is known for Agriculture, I don't spend much time near animals or in the field. Most of my time is spent hunched over an electrical circuit trying to find out why it's not doing what I'm telling it to!

MCrider

A-List Customer
I have to second the vote for the Capricorn. Actually it's my only summer hat, that's how good I think it is. Even though it's synthetic, the shine wears off rather quickly. If you have the bucks for a high quality straw that laughs at rain then this isn't for you, but for my money the Akubra is the winner. Last summer both my wife an I were out and got caught by the rain before we got to our car. Her straw hat is now a droopy mess and used to work in the garden. My Capricorn is ready to go again this year.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I just got something new from Dobbs. It's a milan straw, but a little softer than most of what's out there now. The sweatband is not leather, but otherwise a nice hat. Oh, and the listed brim is 2 1/4, but the one I have in hand is 2 1/2.

http://www.falkoffs.com/falkoffs/pr...edora+Hat&pf_id=PANIABIKAIDEDDID&dept_id=3132

If you search "Dobbs Tuscan" on google, you'll get at least one other style of the same straw. Prices vary wildly from site to site.

I also recommend the Flicker straws sold at http://www.hats-plus.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=flicker

yardpup01

New in Town
Well, just bit the bullet and ordered a Capricorn in fawn from Everything Australian. Just around $60 shipped so I'm happy there. I would have liked to go through Hats Direct, as they were fantastic when I got my fed, but I couldn't justify a $30/50% price difference.

I will be eagerly awaiting, and nervous, until it is in my hands.

Thanks gentlemen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo