Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Summer lids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgoroth

New in Town
My new years resolution this year was that I would wear more hats. See I have a couple(an Indy hat from Disney, a driving cap, and a outdorsy felt scout hat) but did not wear them that much because I did not want to mess them up. Which is a little skilly I will admit.

Anyway, I know the problem with keeping this new years resolution is that when it gets hot (and it always does in NC) I will not want to wear a felt hat bc I might melt.

So, what would you guys recomend for those summer months?
Any styles would be welcome as I am not that picky yet.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How about a vented straw from Optimo?

teardropopen.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Run some searches. There are many threads on panamas, some on light-weight felt, and just a few on milans.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Another vote for PanamaBob. Something about a real Ecuador Panama that makes you start thinking about growing a skinny mustache, wearing a guyabera, smoking big fat cigars and drinking various rum concoctions.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Well, felts get a really bad rap in the summer months. I have a fur felt that is pretty light-weight that I ripped the lining out of and I find it useable during the summer months here in the south where I live (not every day though, as there are some real scorchers. But, on those days, just going outside is uncomfortable).

Otherwise, straw hats make for decent summer hats, although they usually leave something to be desired in the durability department in my experience. All Linen flat caps work well in hot weather but won't really keep the sun off your neck.

I was just watching Chinatown and The Two Jakes the other day, and it has to be a California summer during those movies, because people are literally sweating right through their hats.

I wonder how often people (in real life) wore felt hats during hot days back in the 1930-1950's?

By the way, I love your Batman: The Animated Series avatar.

Neil

A-List Customer
Great question

And one I've asked myself several times. I'd ask my Dad, but he's not around anymore. How the hell did people wear felts in the summer? Here in DC, you can wear 'em October to March, but no more than that.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Neil said:
And one I've asked myself several times. I'd ask my Dad, but he's not around anymore. How the hell did people wear felts in the summer? Here in DC, you can wear 'em October to March, but no more than that.

I was told once that people just seemed to have a higher tolerance for heat back then?

I suppose once you have worn shorts and a t-shirt out in 100 degree weather it would be hard to slap a suit back on and do the same thing? I remember watching a show from the 70's, and when it got really hot out they simply took their suit jackets off and rolled their sleeves up. They still had the vest, hat and everything on. Maybe there really is something to this "They could take the heat, we can't" thing?

Neil said:
Remember these folks were used to wearing long underwear & always had a coat or jacket on as well. Being caught in shirt sleeves was indecent!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
A little further OT

One reason they were more tolerant of the heat back then was that they didn't go from roasting to refrigerated and back again incessantly the way we do now. Instead of using a/c to make environments tolerable, buildings are made FRIGID in the hot summer months. Insane, unhealthy, wasteful and bad for the environment.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Depending on your size, there always seem to be a few vintage straws on ebay (along with a lot of new ones). I won this Brooks Bros. straw boater today.
3195570334_a2e8f842c6.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Depending on your size, there always seem to be a few vintage straws on ebay (along with a lot of new ones). I won this Brooks Bros. straw boater today.

I half considered bidding on it, but decided to pass. Good one, carter!

Brad

Morgoroth

New in Town
Thanks Dewhurst. The animated series is still my favorite next to Adam West.

I like Panamabob a lot, but I think I might have to sell my car to get the one I want.

I think I will probably go with sunbody, but I have to ask, what makes the 1400 weaves per square inch so much better?
Is it more durable? Or does it just look that much better?

I think I am going to have to do a lot more research before I drop that kind of green on some good straw.

What would be the basics to know about buying off ebay?
So, I don't end up paying way too much.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Pith! As well as a few straws, just for a change every now and then. I got a "French" style one (made in Vietnam) as well as a wide-brimmed British style one. I bought them for hikes, really. But the French style is not as 'costumey' - I'd be happy to wear that around town.

carldelo

One Too Many

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Clutching at Straws...

I've never really considered wearing a straw but a mate picked up a sweet lid while traveling in South America and I think I could be persuaded...

em-havana-to-la-boca-11-19012100-19.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy