Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sunday Go to Meetin' Clothes

Highlander

A-List Customer
In looking up old family photos while at Dad's for Deer Season I came across this one. Taken December 1940, My Dad, in the grey tweed suit with vest and a fedora in his hand seems all decked out for the day. All of 10 years old. My Granddad in a typical Blue Pinstripe suit (with Double Breasted Vest), my Grandma in her Sunday Best, and Uncle Wayne (Grandma's brother that lived on the farm with them), all dressed for Church....
Sunday-vi.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
For some reason it bothers me nowadays when people show up to church in jeans.
I know that the correlation between clothing and religious conviction is minimal to nonexistant, but it still bothers me.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
I heard someone say today that 'Dressing for an occasion was for the Edwardians.', yet it never ceases to amaze me that I get complimented even with a gabardine shirt, trousers and loafers on. The modern world is backwards sometimes.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Ditto dnjan.

The church I go to is in a very wealthy part of town, and I know from my time working in an area restaurant that many of my fellow congregants are highly paid, highly powered individuals who regularly appear in the workplace in suit-and-tie, yet come to church in clothing that I can really only define as ratty. Now maybe because suits are the clothes they associate with business they come to church in clothes that are more "true" to them, in which case I can kind of understand. Something always makes me think, though, that not that much thought goes into their choice of church attire. Untucked polo shirts, cargo shorts, t-shirts and ripped up jeans... I think I may belong to the last generation that put an emphasis on coming to church looking presentable. Enter God's house the same way you would enter your earthly boss'. Even when I was in dire financial straights, I always had one nice (thrift store bought) outfit for important occasions.

ssfilez

New in Town
It is nice to dress up on Sundays when going to church or even during family meet-ups. It brings back the good old days when jeans were considered taboo, (If that ever happened in the past, that is.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy