Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Superman returns

Feraud

Bartender
No interest at all. I am rather sick of remakes, reimaginings, continuations, etc.
I find it disheartening that very little original material is coming out of Hollywood.

Yes and no? :rolleyes: I'd be willing to rent it, when it shows up on DVD (I finally got one this week and only spent three hours trying to hook it up!). But watching that film will be more for my 5 year old son than myself. He's a huge Superman freak. A year or so ago, one of the satellite channels played several hours of the old George Reeves Superman TV show. We all sat around and watched. Now THAT was quality television!

Richard

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have a BAD feeling about this one. But I'm a lifelong Superman fan, Bryan Singer did a very good job on the X-Men films, and I'm trying to be at least a bit optimistic.

For starters, I am distrubed by the premise - that this film takes place some years after Superman II in the same continuity, and III and IV never occurred. Having this Routh guy take over for Chris Reeve (the best live-action Superman ever, though I much prefer George Reeves' classy interpretation of Clark Kent to Reeve's overdone bumbler) seems questionable, if not impossible. Both he and the actress playing Lois Lane are much younger than Reeve and Kidder were in Superman II, though this is supposed to be years later. (In fact, Routh is even younger than Smallville's Tom Welling, which is just wrong!) And what's with the little S logo on the belt?!? It's redundant and stupid! Plus, bringing back Marlon Brando from the dead to play Jor-El again seems to be bizarre, if not wrong! I'm sure Kevin Spacey will be an interesting Luthor... but if they want to stay in the old continuity, what the heck is wrong with getting Gene Hackman back?!?

Anyway, I will surely see it, but I don't expect it to be even a fraction of the wonderful surprise that Reeve's first film was back in 1978 (sure, it got lots of stuff wrong [e.g., campy, overplayed villains who seemed to have wandered in from the old Batman TV show!], but Reeve was so PERFECT as Superman that it more than made up for it)... Hopefully, it will be fun, but let's face it, I'm gonna be a pretty tough room!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I'll see it only because I grew up watching the old ones on tv, but I don't expect too much. The guy just doesn't look right for the part, maybe Kevin Sorbo would have been better, older but still built right and has the square jaw. I liked him as Hercules.

fedoralover

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
And you surely know that Kevin Sorbo was nearly cast in Lois & Clark, but ended up being committed to the Hercules movies (that preceded the series), so they went with Dean Cain. He would have been a much better Superman (though probably not Clark) than Cain!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I guess in this I am part of the sandwhich generation as well (that little bunch of losers born between what we think of as "boomers" and what have been called "gen Xers). On one side are the Superman fans, a little older than me, generally. On the other are the Batman fans, the generation of Dark Knight converts. As for me, in the middle, I couldn't care less about either one. They'll always be (and only be) Super Friends to me. I read marvel comics in my childhood and looked forward to the Spiderman movie, if only because there is a shred on that eight year-old still a-sparking inside me. But much more than that I do wish they'd make movies for adults again :cry:

Remember Chinatown? Godfather? The Conversation? Bound for Glory? Remember Five Easy Pieces? The Killing of A Chinese Bookie? Wings of Desire?
Remember when movies were original and interesting and made for adults of average intelligence. *sighs*

Luckily they're almost out of comicbook characters to use.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Someone expressed dismay at the lack of totally new material coming from Hollywood. I see it as a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. People say they want fresh stuff but then that can get way out there with a bunch of kiddie fantasy flicks or some other far afield concept. When they do remake a classic theme somehow folks expect a shot for shot, line by line replica of the original. Why even make a duplicate movie then? Just watch the old one.

One thing for sure is that when some genre catches our fancy every studio races to bring out something just like it ...but different. So we have a glut of alien movies, animated movies, womens' feeling movies, war movies or whatever seems to be in vogue at any one time.

The movies seems to me to parallel TV with ineptness. Stuff I wouldn't watch if I were in a body cast are eagerly viewed in weekly series.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'm not too sure about this one. Visually it's going to be pleasing with the modern FX stuff which can be over done sometimes. Maybe it's one saving grace will be Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor. I think he'll be carrying this rendition of the Superman saga.
Now the one I'm really looking forward to is Pirates of the Carabbean: Dead Man's Chest. Looks as stunning as the first. If they go as spartan with the CGFX like the first one, it should be pretty solid.

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner