Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Survey: Your Favorite A-2 Jacket (Original or Repro, Expensive or Cheap as Hell!)

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Pretty new around here, and don't mean to clutter this site up with new threads that already exist in spades. But I am interested in picking up an A-2 repro (approx size 40), and wanted to gauge everyone's opinions of their experience.

Here's the question: What is your favorite A-2, and why?

Could be an original, a high end repro, or a cheap JC Penny knockoff from the 80s- whatever's clever. Tell us if you like horsehide vs goat; Crown vs Talon; russet or seal; collar stand vs simple attached; Real McCoy's vs Good Wear. You get the idea!

Post your comments (and pics) here!!

(Oh and if anyone’s selling, PM Me!!)

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
This is my favourite A2, although it's not mine but owned by my friend Olli.

It's an Aero 38-1711-P contract in Front Quarter Horsehide. I know it's not authentic with that choice of leather...but man, it's a hell of a jacket!! A very close fitting pre-war contract with a stunning fit, great details and having handled it I have to say it's buttery soft although heavy as lead...

5779631391_9e60b9f44f_z.jpg

5779633469_27d371c2cd_z.jpg

5765390940_8e1325758e_z.jpg

Here's my Eastman "Pearl Harbor". Also a jacket I really like but unfortunately not as good looking as Oliver's...

5862436815_0e289ef00f_z.jpg

5862974360_8d0a3e6be0_z.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is one of my favourite original A2s. It's an ultra rare first contract RW (16159 from 1941), which is in essentially new condition apart from the knits which are NOS replacements.
It displays all the familiar RW characteristics, but the pocket flaps are more angular than on subsequent RW contracts. I love the generous fit of this size 44 jacket, which is very comfortable to wear.

The 14th AF captain who owned the jacket wore it to reunions, but remains unidentified. Here are some pictures.

028-19.jpg

029-17.jpg

030-16.jpg

051-7.jpg

035-13.jpg

032-12.jpg

033-19.jpg

034-15.jpg

036-12.jpg

038-12.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is another favourite original, an Aero 21996 size 44 from the 528TH BS. The contract dates to late 1941. It is in totally original condition, with no replaced parts or issues. The lining and knits are in remarkable condition. The dark seal top coating is almost all in tact, with some areas of red evident. The 528th Bomb Squadron, was part of the 380th Bomb Group, 5th AAF and known as the "King of the Heavies" , flying B-24's. I know the jacket was worn by a lieutenant, but nothing more about him. I love the style of this Aero with the reddish undertones showing through the seal top coat.

001-47.jpg

002-55.jpg

013-57.jpg

020-30.jpg

006-56.jpg

008-58.jpg

010-58.jpg

011-53.jpg

012-60.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Wow, Andrew, that's an amazing jacket in unbelievable condition! It really fits you well and although it might be generously cut it still looks crisp and sharp without any excessive material in the back.
The leather, lining, and the collar stand lining - everything looks as if the jacket was made 6 months ago.
I hope you'll never sell that on...

bretron

Call Me a Cab
I think I just wet my pants looking at that 1941 Rough Wear!! Amazing...

@Jan: your buddy's Aero is totally rad. I was just looking at that on a different thread, a little tighter than I'd be after (I think...).

Last edited:

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Some great jackets. Personally I only like A2s if they have a snug fit, like Ollie's. In fact, his jacket has almost inspired me to get to get an Aero A2 of my own -- I've had my eye on that 38 contract for a while. If only I could be assured of a fit as good as his! Another issue is the knit colour: I like the rust (thinking of it with oil pull) but I worry I would tire of it. Sir J

Gancho

One of the Regulars
@Andrew, your original AERO is a killer!

My inspiration for the A2 has more a fashion backround. I owned several replica jacket, but none of them fits like I wished. While visiting AERO I explained Will what I´m dreaming of. He showed me a 38-1711 and I felt in love. The little features (top stich, collar stand, the lovely pockets and the trim fit) made that contract my favourit.
The 38-1711 is my most weared jacket! BUT it is so trim fit that it is only wearable with a shirt. Perhaps I will go for an other one 1/2 size up in oilpull.

Cheers

Olli

@sir jacket: AERO send me an example of their actual oilpull. Perfect!! Thick but already smooth and the color is a lovely dark bown. wait some days and I can show you a cafe racer made from these leather. The jacket was ordered in the beginning of february, so should arrive in the near future.

I don't get this infatuation with "Slim fit" jackets here? I mean, some of them look too small for the owners, IMHO. Why is this so desirable to some? Curious minds...

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Olli, I too have an oilpull sample and I agree it looks beautiful, but I'd also love to see the cafe racer. The knit colour on your A2 is dark brown, no? I can't decide whether the rust is too flashy but i want something distinct from my other brown Aero jackets. Would welcome Loungers' thoughts on this earth-shattering topic.

Sir J

Rust looks cool. I didn't even know there were non-brown colors before I joined here last year :)
The more ya know...but it's all about YOU. If YOU like green, or rust, go for it! There are some amazing jackets in this thread. Keep 'em coming fellas. Love it!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't get this infatuation with "Slim fit" jackets here? I mean, some of them look too small for the owners, IMHO. Why is this so desirable to some? Curious minds...

I agree. Makes the jackets look more like a disposable fashion item than a vintage keeper.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I disagree. If you're slim a fitted jacket just oozes style. If you're fat it looks ridiculous. It's all about fit.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I disagree. If you're slim a fitted jacket just oozes style. If you're fat it looks ridiculous. It's all about fit.

We know a lot of people here love the skin tight, sorry, fitted jackets, we get that. As it happens, i think they look as ridiculous on slim people as they do on overweight people, but I recognise that here I'm in the minority. I can live with that. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou